Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-11-25, 11:31 PM
Regular User

Default worried about new home being built

hi all,
we have purchased a new house from in Orleans, house is bring built as we speak. I was ask to come and do the framing and electrical inspection this week on Friday but when I entered the house with the supervisor all the walls were already closed and finish with Jeprock. On Sunday, I went back to my house with my wife two show her the progress The door was not locked so we went in. As I walked into the house it must have been 120°, it was like entering a sauna inside the house, it was sooo hot inside.when i entered the house, steam was coming out of the house I went downstairs and there was a propane heater blowing really hot air which made the house extremely hot .I notice there was some water bubbles , condensation on the ceiling . I then went to the sales office and spoke to my sales rep who said she would inform the foreman. I received an email later in the afternoon saying that we are not allowed on the property because of health and safety. I understand this but my concern about the house being so hot inside concerns me more. is this normal or should i be worried
thanks

Last edited by Cachou123; 2018-11-25 at 11:32 PM. Reason: taking builder info out
Old 2018-11-26, 08:57 AM
Administrator

The house is hot. That's a good thing. The heaters are keeping things from freezing.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2018-11-26, 01:07 PM
Regular User

This is a very common practice.

While the amount of moisture seems like it should be a concern, I dont know of anyone who has experienced problems because of propane heaters moisture.

When you get to the pdi stage, do a very careful inspection of any hardwood. You are looking for cupping and cracked boards.
Old 2018-11-27, 08:37 AM
Regular User

^ That's a good answer.

Where I am if the new home owner identifies cupped hardwood during the PDI the builders reps often do what ever they can to avoid putting it on the PDI list. I have even seen one PDI rep pretend to put it on the list. This is because the rules around cupping are written in a way that makes it very difficult to get coverage on this issue if not identified AND NOTED as a PDI issue.

Builders PDI reps often say things like "keep an eye on it" or put it on your 30 day or one year" etc. but this is just a delay strategy that will cause you to lose coverage.

Read the Tarion rule below and you will see what I mean. It is convoluted and confusing and your only option is to protect yourself and identify cupped floors during the PDI.

Construction Performance Guideline 12.21

12.21 STRIP HARDWOOD FLOORING IS CUPPED (HIGH EDGES)

Acceptable Performance/Condition - Strip hardwood flooring shall be installed without cupping.

Warranty - One-Year - Work and Materials

 Damage caused by improper maintenance is excluded from the statutory warranty.
 Cupping caused by excessive humidity due to failure by the homeowner to maintain
adequate ventilation is excluded from the statutory warranty.

Action

One complete heating and cooling season should be allowed as the problem may
remedy itself. Cupping identified at the time of the PDI shall be repaired. Cupping that occurs after the PDI and is proven to result from defective work or materials shall be repaired.

Remarks

Identify any damaged hardwood flooring on the PDI Form to avoid any dispute about
whether the damage was caused by the builder. Cupping of hardwood strip flooring
results from excessive moisture when the humidity below the finished flooring material is substantially higher than above. The homeowner has a responsibility to maintain indoor humidity levels through humidification, ventilation, air conditioning or dehumidification to prevent permanent, irreversible damage. A hygrometer can be used to monitor indoor humidity levels. The immediate sanding of a cupped floor without first allowing it to correct itself may cause even more damage. This condition commonly occurs when houses do not have adequate ventilation and can, under certain circumstances, result from defects in work or materials.

Construction Performance Guidelines - A good study for any new home buyer - https://www.tarion.com/sites/default...rd-Edition.pdf

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2018-11-27 at 08:41 AM.
Old 2018-11-27, 06:41 PM
Regular User

Cant agree with this enough. This exact thing happened with a neighbor and his mistake was accepting the 'keep an eye on it' statement. The pdi rep couldnt remember any of this when it was time to fix things.

Where I am if the new home owner identifies cupped hardwood during the PDI the builders reps often do what ever they can to avoid putting it on the PDI list. I have even seen one PDI rep pretend to put it on the list. This is because the rules around cupping are written in a way that makes it very difficult to get coverage on this issue if not identified AND NOTED as a PDI issue.

Builders PDI reps often say things like "keep an eye on it" or put it on your 30 day or one year" etc. but this is just a delay strategy that will cause you to lose coverage.
Old 2018-11-28, 09:16 AM
Regular User

That is really great information. Many thanks Halton Home Inspector for the advice.. I will be closing on a new-build in the Spring, so I will take note of this.
Old 2018-11-28, 09:51 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Cant agree with this enough. This exact thing happened with a neighbor and his mistake was accepting the 'keep an eye on it' statement. The pdi rep couldnt remember any of this when it was time to fix things.
Unfortunately warranty coverage in Ontario is a game and no one knows how to play this game better than builders. Tarion, and their convoluted rules need careful reading to understand and can be full of mixed messages.

New home buyers need to read the Construction Performance Guidelines to protect them selves.
Old 2018-11-28, 10:21 AM
Regular User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
Construction Performance Guidelines - A good study for any new home buyer - https://www.tarion.com/sites/default...rd-Edition.pdf
Thank you for posting this. I was searching for hours and could not find this document. I don't know where the link is on their site. I found the page listing them all individually, but I wanted them all in one document and could not find it until your post!
Old 2018-11-28, 03:17 PM
Regular User

Good info, thank you all
Old 2018-11-29, 08:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stittsville resident View Post
Thank you for posting this. I was searching for hours and could not find this document. I don't know where the link is on their site. I found the page listing them all individually, but I wanted them all in one document and could not find it until your post!
Add "PDF" to your future searches.

For example search - Tarion Construction Performance Guidelines PDF.