Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2007-02-23, 12:08 PM
Regular User

Default Rude Awakening at Design Centre Appointment

We had our second visit yesterday and everything was going great, they had new selections in that we hadn't seen and we were choosing what we wanted and coming in on budget when we were about to finish off and were told that it was $1700 to stain the stairs and bannisters. Blew us away. We went back to the first book with the prices and there was no mention of this there in fact you know how the book tells you the benefits of having the builder do things for you, well it stated that staining the stairs to match the hardwood was one of the benefits (no mention that it was going to cost you!)

They told us it was in the second book, well when you go to the hardwood/stairs section it tells you the price depends on your house (makes sense, which sends me back to the first book). Oh no they say you also have to refer to the Paint & Stain section - which I never looked at because we are not upgrading the paint and putting in no built ins which required staining. There it was $856 for the upper stairs and $856 for the lower stairs to be stained. My husband lost it!

To top it off, we're putting in the iron pickets, so for 20 odd stairs and the railings we are paiying $1700.00. Talk about a cash grab because there is no way that amount of money will be paid the the tradesmen doing the work.

Thanks for reading my venting, I was quiet yesterday while we all listened to my husband.
Towngate Elevation C Lot#80
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Old 2007-02-23, 01:10 PM
Regular User

We had our stair stained as well, but we have carpet and metal pickets so it was 'only' $500 per stair (if I remember correctly). We had a problem with our stair (long story, nothing to do with staining) so we were quite involved in the whole process of finishing the stair.

It might not might make you feel better but I thought I would share our experience. Our stair was actually stained over about 4 days worth of work, several coats of stain and several coats of clear coat and sanding, etc. all in between the work being done. I too was surprised, initially, at the cost. And after seeing the actual work that went into it, I was also surprised that it took that much work to do it properly. I have done staining projects in the past but never went to the level that was done on the stair, I am guessing that because of the traffic on the stair you have to do a lot more work to make sure it lasts.

But in the end it did come out great. I hope that helps and I sympathies with the surprise as well.

Mike
Old 2007-02-23, 03:17 PM
Regular User

$1700 is a bargain. Fg charged $2500 but we got it "on sale" for $2000.

In the end they did an ok job.
Old 2007-02-23, 03:19 PM
Regular User

What do you mean by ""$856 for the upper stair and $856 for the lower stairs"?
Old 2007-02-23, 03:24 PM
Regular User

The Towngate has two sets of stair, one to the family room and bedrooms and one at the front of the house to the main floor and the basement. I assume that is what they meant.

Mike

PS. Mark and Lynda, I love the kitchen pictures on your blog, vary nice hood.
Old 2007-02-23, 03:35 PM
Regular User

Smile

Thanks Mike...that makes sense...that house does have a lot of stairs, but split up. Builders are always a little more expensive in upgrades, but I don't mind if it is stuff I can't do easily later and I feel I got so much house and service from Mattamy that I swallowed the costs ( had one nasty burp afterwards , though).

Once you are in and love your home, it will have all been worth it. Try not to sweat it...home ownership has its price, but also its rewards.
Old 2007-02-23, 11:11 PM
Regular User

Also any damage the trades do to the stairs after they are finished, the builder absorbs this cost to re-strip and refinish.
Old 2007-02-24, 06:57 PM
Regular User

Mark and Lynda

Your blog looks great, I love the stain on the stairs. Looking great!!!

Lot 94R Fred Silvester.
Closing Jan 3/2007
Old 2007-02-24, 08:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola
Mark and Lynda

Your blog looks great, I love the stain on the stairs. Looking great!!!
Thanks.

Maybe I should get an updated picture of the stairs without the cardboard eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrobinson
PS. Mark and Lynda, I love the kitchen pictures on your blog, vary nice hood.
Thanks Mike. It was a task to install. It's heavy as hell. But we're happy now. The highest speed sounds like a 747 jet engine. LOL
Old 2007-02-25, 07:46 AM
Regular User

Mark & Lynda,

I noticed on your blog that you were looking to install the AC outlet for your gas range. Your builder should have installed the 220 V connection for electric range. If you have one of these outlets you can run to home depot (or any other store of the sort) and grab an adaptor for about $20.
MOVED IN!