Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2007-12-01, 07:33 PM
Regular User

Default What is local calling in Upper Thornhill Hill?

I was told that it is considered local calls if we are calling area code 416 from Upper Thornhill Hill, but it would be long distance to Markham 905 area. What about calling to Mississauga 905 or Aurora ? Anyone knows?
Old 2007-12-02, 03:54 PM
Regular User

RDX,

"Upper Thornhill" is located in the Maple Central Office at Keele St. The numbers are housed in that central office. Aurora and Upper Richmond Hill are considered long distance. Mississauga is also considered long distance.
Old 2007-12-02, 06:40 PM
Regular User

Default IP phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetownsend74 View Post
RDX,

"Upper Thornhill" is located in the Maple Central Office at Keele St. The numbers are housed in that central office. Aurora and Upper Richmond Hill are considered long distance. Mississauga is also considered long distance.
Can we get IP phone with area code 416 instead?
Old 2007-12-02, 10:01 PM
Regular User

Default Cell phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetownsend74 View Post
RDX,

What about using cell phone with area code 416 in Upper Thornhill area?
Old 2007-12-03, 03:38 PM
Regular User

Not sure about the IP Phone....

I am not sure what you mean about your cell phone.. YOu could still use your cell phone although I am assuming the quality won't be that great considering it is a new area. They may need to put up a couple more towers. I am at Dufferin and Major Mac and my quality is not really that good.

Your phone number will be housed out of the Maple Central Office. 416 is a local call.
Old 2007-12-25, 06:28 PM
Regular User

I found that we cannot call to area east of Hwy 404 from Upper Thornhill.
What I used to do is to call fwd the number I want to call from my cell phone (which is 416) and then use my home phone to call my cell.
Old 2007-12-27, 12:11 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdx View Post
Can we get IP phone with area code 416 instead?
Yes, you can.

Actually, that's my business. I work at one of the large VoIP providers here in Toronto, and that's how I plan to keep my 416 number when I move up to Rutherford/Bathurst (Valleys of Thornhill / Coronation).

What you have to do is to get Internet connectivity (probably through Rogers, the cable co), then order the IP phone service BEFORE you need it. Order it a good month in advance of your move date, and use it at your old home. When you move, just take the box with you up to your new house, and plug it into the internet. It won't know you moved, and neither will the PSTN (the phone network). You'll still dial locally just like you did before.

In fact, this works if you move to Vancouver, Moscow, or wherever. Many of our customers do this to keep their phone number.

The one thing to keep in mind (that I hear from customers) is that people tend not to understand what you've done, and become suspicious. Imagine signing up at the video rental store near your new house, and when they ask for a home phone number, you give them a 416 number. You'll be explaining this for a while. Imagine this at your bank. Etc.

That said, it works really well, the quality is great, and it achieves what you're looking for.

Good luck.
Old 2007-12-27, 04:57 PM
Regular User

Default IP phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comso View Post
Yes, you can.

Actually, that's my business. I work at one of the large VoIP providers here in Toronto, and that's how I plan to keep my 416 number when I move up to Rutherford/Bathurst (Valleys of Thornhill / Coronation).

What you have to do is to get Internet connectivity (probably through Rogers, the cable co), then order the IP phone service BEFORE you need it. Order it a good month in advance of your move date, and use it at your old home. When you move, just take the box with you up to your new house, and plug it into the internet. It won't know you moved, and neither will the PSTN (the phone network). You'll still dial locally just like you did before.

In fact, this works if you move to Vancouver, Moscow, or wherever. Many of our customers do this to keep their phone number.

The one thing to keep in mind (that I hear from customers) is that people tend not to understand what you've done, and become suspicious. Imagine signing up at the video rental store near your new house, and when they ask for a home phone number, you give them a 416 number. You'll be explaining this for a while. Imagine this at your bank. Etc.

That said, it works really well, the quality is great, and it achieves what you're looking for.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. By doing this, I can keep my existing home phone number and also use the 416 number in Upper Thornhill Hill. I guess I just need to convert the regular landline I am currently using into IP phone maybe 1-2 months before I move, and move it along with me to the new house, right?

But, can I use the IP phone for the security system? I heard some home security system companies require landline to install their system.
Old 2007-12-28, 04:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks for the info. By doing this, I can keep my existing home phone number and also use the 416 number in Upper Thornhill Hill. I guess I just need to convert the regular landline I am currently using into IP phone maybe 1-2 months before I move, and move it along with me to the new house, right?
Exactly. Don't forget to do it a month or so before you move, and DON'T call and cancel with Bell. If you do that, they lock up the number, and you can't "port" it to the VoIP company.

Quote:
But, can I use the IP phone for the security system? I heard some home security system companies require landline to install their system.
That's different with all the different VoIP companies. We, for example say in our FAQ that alarms may or may not work, and that we can't really help you. In fact, over 90% of alarms work fine, but the 10% that do not are so difficult to figure out, we'd rather say we don't know.

Another option is to get a VoIP line this way, and get a normal Bell line for the alarm and second phone line type stuff. That way you can keep the 416 line for most things, but still have a second line. I'm not sure it's worth the extra 40$, but ymmv.

Or, just try it with VoIP, and see how it goes.