Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-03-16, 10:54 AM
Regular User

Default Single homes in Kanata

I'm looking to buy a single home in Kanata south of the highway. It looks like my options are Glendale, Mattamy and Cardinal. Is there any other builders at this time or will there be another builder that is going to build in that eagleson/hope area?
I didn't like the Glenview homes as they are new and a bit out of my price range. I believe Cardinal is mid 450's. I like the Mattamy lay out but they are down to their last few lots and to me 36 feet seems really small for a double car house. My single in Barrhaven has a 42 foot and its only 1500 square feet home.
Im just wonder if I should wait or this is the standard.

If anyone has any input I would love to hear it.

Thank you
Old 2013-03-16, 11:00 AM
Regular User

Glenview model homes open today and they are releasing more lots so maybe go check them out. There's feedback in the Monahan Landing thread. If you're looking at $450k then they are definitely in your price range. Message any of the owners on this forum for a recommendation that gives you an additional $1k off. They have been very great so far in my dealings with them and include a lot of usual upgrades as standard - granite counters, main floor 9' ceilings/8' doors, finished basement.

Old 2013-03-16, 11:04 AM
Regular User

Im looking to spend about 415-420k max
I'll take a look at the model homes but I really don't like their layouts. They do look like they have a higher quality of home.

My question main questions was the lot sizes and if there will be any other builders in this area. Is 36 feet for double car homes standard with newer homes in this area.

Thanks for the info London.
Old 2013-03-16, 11:11 AM
Regular User

They start in your budget for a double garage with Glenview. Cardel does 38' but costs more as you mentioned, Richcraft I believe is 35' in nearby Fernbank Crossing, Mattamy has some 43' but they are about $440k iirc. They do have some inventory homes reduced on their website. Monarch are building at Blackstone with Cardel and they have some homes with larger lots but they are over your budget.

Last edited by London2Ottawa; 2013-03-16 at 11:26 AM.
Old 2013-03-16, 12:31 PM
Regular User

have you factored in all the new home early costs? You should allow for $25,000 +/- plus that much again for upgrades you might want to do.

The base prices advertised are very misleading. (low)

also>> http://www.canada.com/business/Canad...347/story.html

Last edited by good2know; 2013-03-16 at 12:39 PM.
Old 2013-03-16, 12:39 PM
Regular User

At that price you might be better of with a resale home in bridle wood. You will get a bigger lot and home.
Old 2013-03-16, 12:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
have you factored in all the new home early costs? You should allow for $25,000 +/- plus that much again for upgrades you might want to do.

The base prices advertised are very misleading. (low)

also>> http://www.canada.com/business/Canad...347/story.html
Yes I am aware of the additional costs.
This will be my 3rd home buying experience.
Old 2013-03-16, 01:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge2012 View Post
At that price you might be better of with a resale home in bridle wood. You will get a bigger lot and home.
its too bad small lots is the standard these days for new homes. you can get a new home for basically the same price as resale but on a smaller lot.
Old 2013-03-16, 02:24 PM
Regular User

I agree Jason, lots are too small with new homes and I guess thats just the reality of it.
Also I took a look at the Glenview homes and I liked what I saw.
Its good they have a model home because it really does a lot more then just a floor plan.
Old 2013-03-17, 11:18 AM
Regular User

The Glenview floorplans don't do the homes justice. Go in and have a look, you'll be shocked at what it actually looks like vs. what it looks like on paper.