Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-08-03, 02:35 PM
Regular User

Lucky you Melanne!! What is your closing date? We are still waiting for the foundation to be put in and we're January 2011... You're probably my neighbour or close to it, as both houses on either side are well underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanne View Post
We took a tile we liked, happened to be a standard selection, but upgraded to an 18x18 tile. Can't wait to see how the final product will look like! We paid about $2000 more. That does not include the bathroom upstairs though, just kitchen area.

Tile is permanent, and a "*&^% to take off, might as well do it right the first time around.

See you soon on Comfrey.... our house is starting to take good shape!
Old 2010-08-04, 04:02 PM
Regular User

Default Moving in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Lucky you Melanne!! What is your closing date? We are still waiting for the foundation to be put in and we're January 2011... You're probably my neighbour or close to it, as both houses on either side are well underway.
Ah ... same here, January ! We have a foundation in, and I hear a floor too. Can't wait for more.
Old 2010-08-05, 08:37 AM
Regular User

I went in and signed it yesterday, and it only affects the houses backing onto the bypass... Also, I think it just says that it is recommended to get AC so that it reduces the noise... I didn't see anything saying it was mandatory to get AC from Cardel... Although I wasn't paying that much attention since our house doesn't back onto the bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
Well, I have a past career in real estate and it looks pretty standard. My only concern is the selection and wording of which lots on Comfrey/Nantes are effected by variances in noise pollution resulting in mandatory instillation of AC by the vendor.

As always, the legal jargon protects the builder so if you have any questions---that is what we are all paying our lawyers for. Heaven forbid they actually have to do some work!

Best of luck all!

Last edited by Wings; 2010-08-05 at 08:56 AM.
Old 2010-08-09, 05:33 PM
Regular User

Good call Sparky. We had our first appointment (for the exterior) earlier today, and we were happy to be able to get all of our first choices on colours, so it's a good start. Luckily my wife and I are on the same page so far (although my daughter is still disapointed that we didn't get an all pink exterior like she wanted), but we'll see how it goes when we get to deslauriers next week...
Old 2010-08-11, 08:07 PM
Regular User

Does anyone have an opinion on the energy star packages that Cardel sells? There are 2 packages, a 5K option and an 7.5K option (the difference seems to be the furnace). Since this wasn't really in my original budget, I'm struggling with what to do. I'm thinking of just upgrading the basement insulation (since I plan on finishing the basement), and maybe doing the HRV, but I just don't know...
Old 2010-08-14, 11:04 PM
Regular User

Hey everyone, I had a chance to walk through the Berkshire model home with one of the people from the sales centre today, so I'm here to write my review (to anyone who bought the Berkshire, you should go ask for the tour!).

Anyways, first impression was that the main floor is absolutely amazing. The floorplan of the opne to above entryway doesn't do it justice at all, it's pretty impressive (especially when you're upstairs looking down) and it looks like it's going to be as much of a showpiece for the home as the greatroom.. Also, if you can fit it in the budget, I would say that the open to below basement stairs is worth the price, they're doing it in the model and it just adds that extra great look to the entryway.

The rest of the main floor seemed like it was just windows and open space everywhere, you can really picture how good it will look. The den and the dining room were bigger than expected and the nook, kitchen, greatroom combo is just huge. You can see how the tray ceiling in the greatroom is going to look, and I can say that I liked it. We had actually decided to stay with the flat ceiling in the greatroom, but after seeing teh tray ceiling in person, I think we will be changing our selection. It was easy to see that it just made the room seem more spacious. They are also doing the butlet pantry in the model. Although we didn't go with this upgrade, I liked how it looked, so I think it is a good upgrade.

The bedrooms all looked like they were a decent size. The one thing that we were worried was that we didn't do the master bedroom extension, so we were worried that the room would seem small, but the extension wasn't done in the model either, and the room still looked big. They did the 9-foor ceilings upstairs in the model though, so that may have been messing with my perception.

Overall, we were extremely, extremely happy with how it looked, but there were a couple of minor negatives. My wife and I both noticed that the upstairs seemed a little cramped, not the bedrooms, but the hallway upstairs seemed small. There was a bunch of construction material in the hallway that probably didn't help, but you could see that the bedroom doors were closer together than maybe we were thinking they would be (but if you ask me, I prefer the square footage in the rooms rather than the hallways). Even if it seemed cramped, you could always just turn around and look at the front entry way (have I mentioned how good it looked, especially from above?).

The only other minor negative was the basement. This won't matter to everyone, but since we'll be getting Cardel to finish the basement, we were extremely interested in the basement. The negative is that there is no obviously good way to finish it. The best area to finish would probably be the area under the greatroom (and teh kitchen and nook depending on how big of a space you want), but the problem is that this is at the back while the stairs are at the front, so you would also need to build a hallway to get back there. The good thing is that if you finish the area under the greatroom, nook and kitchen, you don't have to worry about any posts or bulkheads/ductwork getting in the way.

Well, that's the review. All in all, if you bought the Berkshire, I think you will be as happy as we were. It is an awesome looking house.
Old 2010-08-18, 02:40 PM
Regular User

Hi Everyone,

We are new to this site, my wife actually just stumbled upon it as we are anxiously awaiting the completion of our Devonshire.

We really appreciate all the information and look forward to counting down the days together!

We are on Comfrey, lot 33. There has actually been a lot of movement on our property over the last few weeks. Anyone else close by?

Thanks!
Old 2010-08-18, 02:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky View Post
Hey everyone, I had a chance to walk through the Berkshire model home with one of the people from the sales centre today, so I'm here to write my review (to anyone who bought the Berkshire, you should go ask for the tour!).

Anyways, first impression was that the main floor is absolutely amazing. The floorplan of the opne to above entryway doesn't do it justice at all, it's pretty impressive (especially when you're upstairs looking down) and it looks like it's going to be as much of a showpiece for the home as the greatroom.. Also, if you can fit it in the budget, I would say that the open to below basement stairs is worth the price, they're doing it in the model and it just adds that extra great look to the entryway.

The rest of the main floor seemed like it was just windows and open space everywhere, you can really picture how good it will look. The den and the dining room were bigger than expected and the nook, kitchen, greatroom combo is just huge. You can see how the tray ceiling in the greatroom is going to look, and I can say that I liked it. We had actually decided to stay with the flat ceiling in the greatroom, but after seeing teh tray ceiling in person, I think we will be changing our selection. It was easy to see that it just made the room seem more spacious. They are also doing the butlet pantry in the model. Although we didn't go with this upgrade, I liked how it looked, so I think it is a good upgrade.

The bedrooms all looked like they were a decent size. The one thing that we were worried was that we didn't do the master bedroom extension, so we were worried that the room would seem small, but the extension wasn't done in the model either, and the room still looked big. They did the 9-foor ceilings upstairs in the model though, so that may have been messing with my perception.

Overall, we were extremely, extremely happy with how it looked, but there were a couple of minor negatives. My wife and I both noticed that the upstairs seemed a little cramped, not the bedrooms, but the hallway upstairs seemed small. There was a bunch of construction material in the hallway that probably didn't help, but you could see that the bedroom doors were closer together than maybe we were thinking they would be (but if you ask me, I prefer the square footage in the rooms rather than the hallways). Even if it seemed cramped, you could always just turn around and look at the front entry way (have I mentioned how good it looked, especially from above?).

The only other minor negative was the basement. This won't matter to everyone, but since we'll be getting Cardel to finish the basement, we were extremely interested in the basement. The negative is that there is no obviously good way to finish it. The best area to finish would probably be the area under the greatroom (and teh kitchen and nook depending on how big of a space you want), but the problem is that this is at the back while the stairs are at the front, so you would also need to build a hallway to get back there. The good thing is that if you finish the area under the greatroom, nook and kitchen, you don't have to worry about any posts or bulkheads/ductwork getting in the way.

Well, that's the review. All in all, if you bought the Berkshire, I think you will be as happy as we were. It is an awesome looking house.
Dunky: Where is this model home? I would love to see it.
Old 2010-08-18, 03:29 PM
Regular User

Hey KamnShum, it's good to have someone new here, it's been a little quiet lately.

The model is being built on Nantes at the corner with the bypass, right now it's only framed and still needs a ton of work, but they took us for a walk through since we bought a Berkshire and were anxious to see what the interior looked like as we were going through the design centre process.
Old 2010-08-18, 04:27 PM
Regular User

Ah, got it. Thanks Dunky.

My wife and I have been eying that model since I really wanted to get the Berkshire but since neither of us are very technical, we were nervous buying just off a floorplan. From what you describe it sounds amazing.

When are you guys closing? We are Jan 13, 2011.