Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Real Estate Questions

Real Estate Questions Planning on selling your home? Looking to buy a resale? Post your comments and questions here.

Old 2008-03-16, 03:58 AM
Regular User

Default Lot facing East/West or North South

I an looking for new homes and have read in lot of listing for Houses that are on sale mentioning Western sunny backyard.

While slecting the Lot for new home what is your prefered facing directiong.

Does Western sunny backyard means that the front will be facing east so that in the evening the backyard be more sunny.

I was thinking perhaps other way around if my backyard is facing east I will get lot of light during the day in the Breakfast area and the Great Room.
or instead of East or West should it be North/South

What are your thoughts and prefercences also from ReSale point of view?
Old 2008-03-17, 12:07 PM
Regular User

I prefer a west/south-west facing backyard. We currently have an east facing backyard and we get sun until mid to late afternoon. If you are a sun lover or want to put in a pool this is not ideal and was one of the reasons we decided to move. We do have a large front porch so it was nice to sit out on in the afternoon and into the evening but ideally I would prefer sun in the backyard later in the day. However, with a western/southern exposure you have to invest in some good window coverings because the back of the house really heats up and the sun can be damaging to hardwood, furniture and cabinetry.
Old 2008-03-17, 12:40 PM
Regular User

I had never even though of this until now and it definitely wasn't a huge consideration when we chose our lot. Now that you mention it though.. our lot is NNE facing in the front and SSW in the back. Sunny evening patio... and sun in the front facing master bedroom in the morning.. perfect!
Old 2008-03-17, 12:56 PM
Regular User

I also prefer a west or south/west facing backyard. We have a big deck and in the summer like to spend alot of my time outdoors. I get the sun from early afternoon till night time. When we purchased our new home we made sure we would have the sun in the back as well. Even though I will have a nice porch in the front I think I'll be spending most of my time in my backyard due to more privacy.

Jessica & Serge
Sandfield Model C
Tempest St.
Lot 151
original closing date: April 30th
revised: May 30th
newly revised: June 10th

Old 2008-03-17, 03:53 PM
Regular User

yes It suddenly hit me when I was going through some home listing. I never considered it either thats why I put in the question here. Its Great to know the opinion of others. For a while I thought no one is interested since there where no replies in the thread.

It seems consensus is on a backyard facing South West so that the Sun rise is towards the front of the house.
Old 2008-03-17, 09:58 PM
Regular User

I remember when we were looking for a lot to build our new home, lots where the backyard faced south had an extra premium. The reason I think is that houses with the family room facing south would be exposed to sun for most of the day, something that most people like in winter time and saves you energy. However, summer time in Ottawa can be really hot so some people might prefer lots where the family room faces w/SW. Another thing to consider is that most materials when exposed to excessive sun (e.g. roof shingles, wood trim, paint, caulking etc) deteriorate faster while most building materials used here in Ottawa stand ice, snow and extreme cold without a problem.
But hey, summer is so short here that it flies away like a dream
Old 2008-03-18, 01:27 AM
Regular User

If your front driveway faces south and your backyard faces north, the sun helps melt the snow on the driveway. But how much sun do you get in the backyard?
Old 2008-03-18, 10:03 AM
Regular User

I prefer house facing westward and having the backyard facing east. Our previous house had it the other way around ...I didnt like having the hot boiling sun in the afternoon and early evening. I like having the shade when I am in my backyard. I feel it is more relaxing and cooler. You dont have to invest in a canopy as well.
Old 2008-03-29, 03:21 PM
Regular User

Smile

In the previous house we had the sun in the backyard pretty much since early afternoon to evening. I would always have to close the blinds because it was just blinding to do anything & if we were having a kids b-day party in August, you had to invest in some kind of tarp or a canopy because it was just too much sun to be able to sit for few hours in the backyard.

In the new house we are in it's the other way around & I think I like it better this way, no need to close the blinds in the kitchen/family room & since we spend most time in the back of the house, I don't mind closing the shutters in the front. Plus all the snow melts much faster too We have a ravine view & a huge 2 story window & I cannot imagine closing it everyday & not being able to look at the beautiful trees Plus with the lot that we chose, we did not rally have an alternative because it was the only lot with the ravine view for only $5,000 premium & we chose not to spend the extra $60,000 premium to have the sun in the back, but rather put that $$ into our kitchen upgrade
Old 2008-03-30, 05:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
In the previous house we had the sun in the backyard pretty much since early afternoon to evening. I would always have to close the blinds because it was just blinding to do anything & if we were having a kids b-day party in August, you had to invest in some kind of tarp or a canopy because it was just too much sun to be able to sit for few hours in the backyard.

In the new house we are in it's the other way around & I think I like it better this way, no need to close the blinds in the kitchen/family room & since we spend most time in the back of the house, I don't mind closing the shutters in the front. Plus all the snow melts much faster too We have a ravine view & a huge 2 story window & I cannot imagine closing it everyday & not being able to look at the beautiful trees Plus with the lot that we chose, we did not rally have an alternative because it was the only lot with the ravine view for only $5,000 premium & we chose not to spend the extra $60,000 premium to have the sun in the back, but rather put that $$ into our kitchen upgrade
hey patrob can i get a glimps of ur huge 2 story window...really i love these huge windows....if u get a chance plz do upload its image...lol

TC