Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-06-10, 03:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by London2Ottawa View Post
Yes, this is the one we have for a few years now. Works great, very accurate.
We just leave it in the basement all the time, to see if there are any changes.
Old 2014-06-10, 04:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by London2Ottawa View Post
Yes, same detector but note that's the US version - basically identical but measures in the US units of pCi/L instead of bequerels/m3 that we use in Canada. Sure you can do the conversions every time but all the Canadian levels/guidance will be in Canadian units.

I think I got mine here - http://www.radondetect.ca/Safety-Sir...-HS715121.html

R
Old 2014-06-10, 06:27 PM
Regular User

Cheers!

Old 2014-06-11, 07:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unime View Post
I am willing to buy a house in Kanata, but recently I heard that the Radon level is very high in Kanata area. Has anyone done some research on it? and know how serious is that? I am quite anxious about it.

Thanks in advance.
If you decide to build in Kanata don't do it in Arcadia or you would be setting yourself up for a big after sales heartache worse than radon. We made the mistake of building there and will regret it until we sell the house we've been in for only 7 months.
Old 2014-06-11, 08:05 PM
Regular User

Minto, don't hijack threads mate, you already made your feelings clear in your own Minto-bashing thread. Let's keep this on topic, about radon!
Old 2014-06-11, 08:07 PM
Regular User

Back on topic - looks like our sub-slab depressurization totally worked - latest readings, with the meter above, now 29 bq/m3. Big reduction. Will keep monitoring but looks very promising.
Old 2014-06-11, 09:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich View Post
Back on topic - looks like our sub-slab depressurization totally worked - latest readings, with the meter above, now 29 bq/m3. Big reduction. Will keep monitoring but looks very promising.
awesome.

for me when i had it FIRST installed it went down drastically.. then a good 24 hours later, it went down even more.

congrats!
Old 2014-06-18, 10:21 AM
Regular User

As a person vey familiar with the Kanata Lakes area I can tell you that Radon is a problem but its hit and miss for high levels. The bottom line is every one should have the Health Canada test done. If levels are above 200 bq/m3 than Tarion expects builder to mitigate the problem. The city of Ottawa has required builders in KL to install sub slab depressurization and capped vent labeled Soil Gas Vent since Jan 2012. Regardless of the number, if its high I recommend installing Radon fan, very rarely does the passive system work especially with our climate.
Old 2014-06-18, 09:52 PM

I bought a new house. The builder installed the soil gas vent pipe. There is also a pipe roughed in through the header of the ground floor from the furnace area of the basement to the exterior. Right now, these pipes can be connected together with an inline fan. I found HD(USA) is selling this fan :
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncourt....DK04/202698146
Does somebody know where I can buy it in Ottawa? Or someone can install this kind of radon fan? Thx
Old 2014-06-18, 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=gr8day;283211]Richyrich is right. If the levels are very high, it will be covered by Tarion.

In our old house, we got the vent on the side of the house, but in the new house, we asked the builder to do a rough-in and it goes to the roof.

Also, the city of Ottawa (on Constellation Drive) is selling testing kits that you send to a lab, but it's better to invest $130 and buy a monitor that you can keep, and monitor the levels in the house all the time. This way you see if there is any problem with the pump (in the 3-4 years we had it, there wasn't any problem).

Kebbs - I will send you a PM with the name of the person that installed the pump.[/QUOTE

Could you send me this info as well? Thanks.