Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Aurora

Aurora Minto, Kylemore, Aspen Ridge and Townwood

Old 2008-10-08, 11:35 AM
Regular User

Default question surrounding smooth ceiling

Hi,

We had our first appointment with the builder and when we asked for the smooth ceiling he quoted us $4800 for both floors.
we are just wondering if we can do the smooth ceiling after we get our home.
Or can the standard strippled ceiling texture can be changed to low by the builder.

thanks in advance
Old 2008-10-08, 11:44 AM
Regular User

Default comparison

It is my understanding that doing the smooth ceiling after closing is a messy and time consuming work. If it help any, we paid $2650 for 3700 sq/ft home, 1st floor only.
Old 2008-10-08, 12:19 PM
Regular User

we chose to do smooth ceilings on the main floor only... $2400 if I remember correctly. House is approx 2500sq.ft.

the main floor is where its going to be the most obvious of a difference, and from personal experience, I would say that the second floor ceilings have more play in them over time... which means, with a smooth ceiling, you are more likely to notice flaws, etc which will develop. Friends of ours had their second floor ceiling in some rooms done 3 times. Stucco hides that.

Old 2008-10-08, 12:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by a16s View Post
Hi,

We had our first appointment with the builder and when we asked for the smooth ceiling he quoted us $4800 for both floors.
we are just wondering if we can do the smooth ceiling after we get our home.
Or can the standard strippled ceiling texture can be changed to low by the builder.

thanks in advance
Sure it can be done after closing but unless you want to do it yourself, you still need to hire someone & it will not be cheap plus messy. So I suggest get it from the builder.

Our friends did it just because the builder did not offer it & it was messy. Smooth ceilings have to be done properly or you will see the drywall joints, etc. & it will not be very smooth. I should know because we had that problem & the builder re-did most of our ceilings. It was a messy time to have that fixed They will never be perfectly smooth but I still prefer them to stucco
Old 2011-03-15, 12:15 PM
Regular User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Sure it can be done after closing but unless you want to do it yourself, you still need to hire someone & it will not be cheap plus messy. So I suggest get it from the builder.

Our friends did it just because the builder did not offer it & it was messy. Smooth ceilings have to be done properly or you will see the drywall joints, etc. & it will not be very smooth. I should know because we had that problem & the builder re-did most of our ceilings. It was a messy time to have that fixed They will never be perfectly smooth but I still prefer them to stucco
@ Patrob: Is there any particular advantage why people prefer smooth ceiling to strippled one? Does it increase the value of the house or just for aesthetic reasons only.
Old 2011-03-20, 09:45 AM
Regular User

a lot of people don't like how stipple looks - but unless the job is perfect, smooth will look terrible
Old 2011-03-20, 10:53 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebenezer View Post
@ Patrob: Is there any particular advantage why people prefer smooth ceiling to strippled one? Does it increase the value of the house or just for aesthetic reasons only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
a lot of people don't like how stipple looks - but unless the job is perfect, smooth will look terrible
I agree 100% with good2know, smooth ceilings are by far nicer than stippled if done properly. I too have seen homes where people paid to have them done smooth and they were not well done. I could see the seams everywhere. IMO, the trades work too fast and are not given the time required to do a good, detailed job.

As for property value, if you believe that you will be able to sell your home for a higher price because you have smooth ceilings you are naive. While people love smooth ceilings they do not want to pay extra for them in resale. People pay extra for upgraded kitchens, bathrooms, hardwood floors & finished basements, primarly. Just ask a good real estate agent what comments they get from potential buyers and you will see.

IMO, $5Gs on smooth ceilings is a ridiculous waste of money. You'd be better off spending the same amount on upgrading your kitchen & bathrooms. But of course, it's your choice in the end.

Last edited by PJD; 2011-03-20 at 10:56 AM.
Old 2011-03-21, 06:39 AM
Regular User

Pay no more than 1k per floor for smooth ceilings. You won't see your money back, it's purpose will serve your enjoyment for the mist part. Or if you want to compromise go smooth on the main floor.
Old 2011-03-21, 06:40 AM
Regular User

'most'.. Sry, typing on iPhone
Old 2011-04-04, 10:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebenezer View Post
Sorry, just noticed your post

People choose smooth ceilings mainly for looks. A lot of people prefer the way smooth ceilings look, others don't mind the stucco/"popcorn" ceiling. In the end it's a personal preference. We love our smooth ceilings, it just looks "cleaner/smoother" IMO