Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-01-15, 07:46 PM
Regular User

Default Furnace blowing cold air (LED blinking 4 times)

Anybody else here have this experience? I've already contacted my builder and they sent someone to fix the furnace ... the guy told me to monitor it, and it's still happening (furnace blowing cold air, red light blinking 4 times).
Old 2009-01-15, 08:07 PM
Regular User

Make and model number please. 4Flashes means many things on many furnaces.

I had a service call today that flashed 4 times. It indicated a high limit trip. Wich lead me to the plugged air filter. Cleaned filter, reset power and it was off to the races again..... Also confirmed manifold pressure was set correctly. (it was a busy day but i think i was working on an ammana)

Let me know the model if you can. Also on the blower door there should be a list of flash codes.

PS:never reset power or cycle the thermostat when your waiting for service. We need to see the LED flash codes, some furnaces have as may as 4 different LEDs in various colours, we need to see the faults.
Old 2009-01-15, 10:49 PM
Regular User

Wouldn't ya know it. I read this thread today and now my furnace stopped working.

I'm getting cool air. Went down and checked error codes. I have 3 red flashes - pressure switch stuck open. It's a York pos.

I went outside and cleared the ice from the exhaust. Still nothing. Fan turns on and tries to start up but then shuts down. It's doing this over and over.

I suspect there's nothing I can do right?

Wife and kids are on their way to her parents now.
Old 2009-01-15, 11:39 PM
Regular User

IS it a two pipe system? I cleared out 3 air intakes today(2 yesterday), they look clear but there is a frost build up inside the air intake.... Looks as inocent as a snow donut inside the intake... I had 2 like that plus one intake the was completely buried in snow while the exhuast was up high and clear.

With the extreme cold and wind conditions we have had what is happening is the steamy exhaust is recirculating back into the air intakes and frosting up inside. It can reach back into the pipe for a few feet even. Hair drier or shop vac can help clear out the intake

Once your sure you have cleared out the snow from both in and out pipes. Then reset the power to the furnace(from breaker or switch) This will reset the codes and allow it to attempt to relight.

Good luck.
Old 2009-01-15, 11:49 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the repy TKG26. It's one exhaust outside and the intake is in the basement.

I actually found the problem. I removed the screws holding the pressure switch, pulled it out and disconnected the two hoses. Put the switch to my mouth and blew in and sucked out. I felt the diaphram moving inside. I guess I freed it up (I remember doing that with an EGR valve once ) Did that a few times and reconnected it and she fired up. At least I have heat for the night. I'll try to get a replacement switch tomorrow.
Old 2009-01-15, 11:50 PM
Regular User

yes get it replaced, they can go sticky, but check one more thing as well. See that your condensate drains are clear and flowing water out of them...
Old 2009-01-16, 03:24 PM
Regular User

[QUOTE=TKG26;83782]

With the extreme cold and wind conditions we have had what is happening is the steamy exhaust is recirculating back into the air intakes and frosting up inside. It can reach back into the pipe for a few feet even. Hair drier or shop vac can help clear out the intake
QUOTE]

This actually happened to us last night. Came home and we had no more heat. We tried a few things and nothing was working. We didn't know what the problem was until we called someone to have a look. We had a frozen pipe.

The guy said that our furnace has 2 modes and it was on the constant slow one, so he switched it to the 5 minute delay (or something like that, I am completely useless when it comes to this) where it will blow stronger heat if it needs it, and he said the frozen pipe should not happen again. AND, as a result our 2nd floor bedrooms are now nice and warm, which was another problem we had that I actually posted about before.

Urbandale - Isla Vista Model - Elevation B
Riverside South
Closing: November 6, 2008
Old 2009-01-16, 05:14 PM
Regular User

you have a 2 stage furnace. And the original installers did not set the dip switches up properly from the sound of it. You now have a 5minute low fire, the board probably has options for 30seconds,5min,10min and 15min low fire. These settings get used when they use a single stage thermostat to control a 2 stage furnace..

I had 2 more frozen pipe calls today, its just the extrem cold and some wind conditions. You could still have the problem again wether or not it runs in low or high fire.

Good idea to check your pipes every snow fall no matter how little the snow fall
Old 2009-01-26, 08:48 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the reply TKG26! Actually, they replaced some major parts and it's fixed now I'm glad that my home is still under builder's warranty.
Old 2009-01-26, 09:22 PM
Regular User

You should find out what the furnace warranty is. Sometimes its 1year P/L sometimes 5 P/L.

Regardless you can get furnace coverage 3rd party after the fact. 99% of my service work is on warranty or insured equipment. Repairs dont come cheap thats for sure