Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-06-03, 12:10 PM
Regular User

How far in advance did they give you your design centre book? Seems like all I've done is wait for this house so far...either for the new release..now for the design centre..then for it to be built...I am learning the art of patience in a WHOLE new way!! lol...

I actually have another question:

Does anyone have a rough estimate of what property taxes are going to be in Fairwinds for village homes, or even where I can get one? I've heard estimates from about 2300 to 2800, and if I can get a more concrete number, that would be great!

Last edited by NewDivaHomeowner; 2009-06-03 at 12:12 PM.
Old 2009-06-03, 12:15 PM
Regular User

Keep us updated on what the choices are in the design centre. We bought 5-3 on Messor... also an appleby.
I can't wait for our appointment!!

Old 2009-06-03, 03:29 PM
Regular User

I remember last time I went to the Barrhaven open house, one of the employees said that they would be getting a few new choices in- one of which was bamboo floors. Hope they have more! I should go this weekend and check it out..
Old 2009-06-05, 03:37 PM
Regular User

Default Berryhurst pics

Hello All,

I happened to find this pictures of a berryhurst in progress on

http://www..com/album.php?aid=248213...7&l=7e800b3285

Hope they can be of use to people!

Also started a Fairwinds Mattamy Village Homes to see who is out there in the neighborhood with village homes...I'll try to post any village home pictures I find there.

Last edited by NewDivaHomeowner; 2009-06-05 at 03:59 PM. Reason: New Info.
Old 2009-06-16, 02:04 PM
Regular User

Well we had our first appointment yesterday. Word of caution to everyone... The girl that booked our appointment (Jamie) didn't tell us that we would be doing both appointments in one! Be prepared to make all your decisions on the spot! So Jamie is a bit of a tool... But our design person Denise made up for it ten fold. She was amazing! If you can ask for someone ask for her. We would be completely lost trying to match flooring and counters and colors without her as there are so many choices... What should have been a 4 to 5 hour appointment was done in 2.5 hours and we felt great about it. She pointed out a lot of things that we would have normally missed that could have made the house look much different. So what did we get...

-Berber carpet on stairs and third floor
-Ceramic in the front entrance, kitchen and bathroom
-Pot lights over the Breakfast Bar
-Replaced the "Hollywood" lights in the bathroom with a keyless light so that we could install our own light after words (thank you Denise) and not have to patch up drywall
-Replaced the entrance doors with swinging doors
-Upgraded the doors in the house to 2 panel colonial
-Colonial Railings with Wrought Iron spindles and a dark stain
-AC rough in
-Gas fitting for Stove
-Light in the tub
-There is so much more but I can't remember it all since I’m not at home

As for colors and what not we went for a contemporary feel for the house (Original I know....) But I can't wait to move in a start the real decorating!

I'm kinda sad it's all over now... I didn't get to take picture of our selections either... since we were not prepared to do it all at once....
Fairwinds - APPLEBY A1

Old 2009-06-17, 01:56 AM
Regular User

Talking Yippee!!

I FINALLY received my design centre catalogue today. And ahead of schedule I might add! My appointment is supposed to be the week of July 6 and according to the e-mail letter, I will be choosing everything on this appointment like DarCat did. Hopefully, I get Denise since I've heard such nice things about her! WISH ME LUCK!! I'll keep everyone updated once I complete the appointment.
Old 2009-06-17, 09:58 AM
Regular User

Yay!! so exciting! Def. let us know what you pick. I also heard a little rumor going around that our site is about 2 weeks ahead of schedule right now maybe will be on time if not early
Fairwinds - APPLEBY A1

Old 2009-06-17, 05:56 PM
Regular User

Default Whoo hoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarCat View Post
Yay!! so exciting! Def. let us know what you pick. I also heard a little rumor going around that our site is about 2 weeks ahead of schedule right now maybe will be on time if not early
That little bit about being possibly early TOTALLY made my day DarCat! Thank you! Also, when you say you upgraded your sliders to swing doors are you talking about the closet in the Foyer? Which item is that in the catalogue because I'm absolutely interested in that too! lol...
Old 2009-06-17, 10:06 PM
Regular User

The Swinging doors (yes in the foyer) was something Denise pointed out. I'm not sure where in the catalogue you can find it but it was only a couple of hundred and I think it is so worth it! The mirror doors are okay but if you ever want to replace them patching up the track can be a pain in the butt. You can also do it for the guest bedroom...ifyou don't want to put a bed in it lol.
Fairwinds - APPLEBY A1

Old 2009-06-19, 12:11 AM
Regular User

I might follow through on that one Darcat. It's on my list of things to consider for sure! Also, did anyone do the security system rough in and/or weigh the pros and cons vs. getting security post-closing? Is it worth it like the A/C rough in or is it just something handy but unnecessary?