Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-06-04, 04:22 PM
Regular User

I would recommend avoiding Modern Eavestrough. Take a look at their reviews on Home Stars - not good.

What you described is what the owner does for all of his clients. He drives around new build areas and knocks on doors. He knocked on our door, when I told him we were having dinner at the time he asked for just a few minutes and walked inside my house. Gave me his pricing, and it was no less than the other estimates (from far more reputable companies) we have gotten.

The $1K he quoted you, I'm sure, is for the cheapest parts. He offers a really cheap option with a 2 year warranty. You should avoid this at all costs, it won't hold up. All other reputable companies won't offer anything less than parts that come with a 25 year warranty. We got 3 other estimates and this was the norm. For this option, his price was around $1.4K. It was the same as Precision Eavestrough, except that company has excellent reviews and was a pleasure to deal with.

Also I should mention that the owner asked me to commit to go with him right there on the spot, and when I mentioned I would need time to at least think it over, he walked out of my house without saying a word and closed the door behind him. Yikes - that sealed it for me, and I can really understand how he got those negative reviews...

Good luck in your search!

PS: I've also heard good things about Bronson Johnson and Maize Eavestroughing.
Old 2018-06-04, 04:47 PM
Regular User

I had no issues with Modern on my place and several of my neighbours used them. There's another thread talking about eavestrough, take a look there too. Essentially, most of them are in the same price range, some have slightly different options.
Old 2018-06-04, 08:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsh View Post
Just trying to pump the thread. Anyone ever dealt with Modern Eavestroughing?

The sale person knocked on my door last week, he offered around 1K
I went with Modern back in 2014. No concerns with the work and the price was in line with the other companies.
Old 2018-06-05, 10:51 AM
Regular User

Thank you all, I will try to get the estimate and go from there. If anyone else has experience / recommendation please let us know
Old 2018-06-05, 10:52 AM
Regular User

Went with Modern back in 2014 and we've had ZERO issues since then with our eaves
Old 2018-06-07, 12:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
Hi,
I've recently got some prices from two different companies for roughly 270ft of eavestrough for a single home. The prices were between $1400-1500. Has anyone here had eavestrough done on their home and know if this price looks reasonable? The ones I've found in the forum discussed about townhomes in the $900 range but never really got into the details of the length of eavestrough done.

That aside, the prices seem relatively close so I guess it comes down to service. One quote was from Maize and another from Joel Daniels. Has anyone had experience with either companies recently?

Maize recently quoted $895 plus tax for 2200 sq. ft single two-storey home. It also depends on the configuration of your roof.
Old 2018-06-07, 01:56 PM
Regular User

There are some Joe Danials installs in Deer Run. installation quality was iffy to me. There are some problems the homeowners dont know they have.

Price also varies based on number of downspouts,
Old 2018-06-07, 09:12 PM

Default Modern Eavestroughing

@ Mopstah
He did the exact same thing to me, I told him that I need to discuss the quote with my wife and he just walked out on me, without looking back for a sec. At the door I said "have a nice day, I will be in touch" ; the guy didn't even say a word.

I cannot comment on the quality of their work but with that attitude good luck getting business.

Last edited by Alpha; 2018-06-07 at 09:16 PM.