Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2006-10-29, 01:19 PM
Regular User

Default Tankless water heaters

Have any builders offered this yet? Any one going to get one? Apparently, endess hot water and 80% more efficient than a tank that you heat all day/night long
Old 2006-10-30, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Mattamy uses OZZ as their hot water tank installer and they do offer a tankless model. It was quite expensive so we decided to just stick with the traditional tank. In the future, we would definitely look at this as an option though.
Old 2008-05-28, 01:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
Have any builders offered this yet? Any one going to get one? Apparently, endess hot water and 80% more efficient than a tank that you heat all day/night long
Did you get a tankless water heater? I see that you posted this thread in ancient times. I am looking at Rinnai tankless water heater that COSCO has. For a two bathroom (2 x 60 gallon tub and 2 shower heads) it cost approximately $1100 for the unit on the RINNAI website. I think the government rebate is $250. It would definitely pay itself in a few years since the lifespan of tankless water heaters is almost 3 times the water heater tank. Did your house come with rental water heater or was it owned when you moved in?
Old 2008-07-24, 09:54 PM
Regular User

Has anyone actually had a tankless water heater installed into their home? I'm just wondering what the process would be and whether or not it is worth it? Can we tell the builder not to install the hot water tank or do we tell the utility company to remove it after the fact?

Also, has anyone looked into other energy efficient products such as solar panels or geothermal heating/cooling?

Thanks.

Tagus B
Old 2008-07-24, 10:51 PM
Regular User

Unless your sole purpose of using solar panels is to help the environment, then I would say its not cost efficient to buy them. An average home pays $100 on electricity and $100 on water bills per two months. That $100 consists of 50% debt and delivery charges. So we are actually just utilizing $25 of electricity per month. Thatís cheap. If you are using solar panels your electricity usage will only be decreased by 30% averagely. Which brings you down to $17.5/ mo and you still need to pay debt and delivery charges of approximately $50 per 2 mos. In the end you still need to pay $85 per 2 mos. The panels and installations would probably cost up to $4000 to $7000 depending on how many panels you want. Thatís why I stopped thinking about installing them on my roof.

However, im still interested in tankless water heaters. I think it makes a big difference in terms of savings.
Old 2008-07-24, 11:38 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up

We have a tankless water heater installed Love it & I can see my actual gas usage lower than the regular tank we had for 6 months, until we told Ozz to come & pick theirs up But we did have to pay a penalty fee to cancel the agreement which we were forced to sign in the first place.

We bought the tankless unit ourselves & had a plumber install it (gas fitter to hook up the gas pipes). We had the option from Ozz to buy a tankless but the unit they offered me & the price they gave me was more than what we paid for ours & I got a better/larger unit too. It was all done on the same day, in the morning Ozz sent 2 guys to pick up their tank & later I had the tankless installed within few hours.

The thought of not having to ever pay a monthly rental fee for my water tank is priceless
Old 2008-07-25, 02:47 AM
Regular User

A few question if you dont mind me asking

1) How much was the penalty to remove the tank?

2) Where did you purchase the tankless heater?

3) How much did it cost for the unit?

4) Whats the make and model?
Old 2008-07-25, 09:21 AM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Nile View Post
A few question if you dont mind me asking

1) How much was the penalty to remove the tank?

2) Where did you purchase the tankless heater?

3) How much did it cost for the unit?

4) Whats the make and model?
1) $500 (but I did not pay Ozz for the first 6 months of rental fees, so penalty technically only $368 )

2) www.tanklesswaterheaters.ca/residential.html & talk to Chris

3) $2,200 with taxes & all parts (plus installation) for the larger unit

4) www.tanklesswaterheaters.ca/ph28rdv.html

Old 2008-07-25, 06:24 PM
Regular User

Pretty pricy but im sure it is worth it. Is this the cheapest you have canvassed for?
Old 2008-07-25, 07:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Nile View Post
Pretty pricy but im sure it is worth it. Is this the cheapest you have canvassed for?
You mean the unit is pricey or the penalty? To be honest I am sure that somewhere out there the unit might be cheaper by few dollars but I was happy with the price I got & the customer support, it was still cheaper than what Ozz was offering me. You don't really want to cheap out on the unit or you might regret it later if you get it to be too small for your usage.

Give them a call, they will explain everything to you. They recommended this unit for the size of my house, the amount of people & the quality of the unit plus it came standard with a built in carbon monoxide detector, while some other units did not. I was more comfortable with a unit that had this feature just in case. There are a few diff. brands of tankless systems but I suggest you do not buy it at Home Depot This is something that is supposed to last you for years, so make the right decision & not based on which unit is cheaper but right for your family