Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2011-04-05, 02:16 AM

Default Structural Changes suggestions

Hi guys, we're currently in the process of doing structural for our new home that will be ready in May of 2012. The builder is Kylemore Communities. It's the Angus Glen West Village project. Any suggestions for changes? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tully.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	8198  
Old 2011-04-05, 09:47 AM
Regular User

your house is awsome already. if you want to make changes, what i'd do is try to make the family room a bit bigger. but it depends on where you're going to put your TV. The picture you provided is to small, so I can't see what you're getting on that right wall. One possibility is to remove what ever is going there and just have a blank wall. you can put a massive TV in there or even a projector. I would try to get one big window instead of two smaller ones.

for your master bedroom, I assume the smaller closet is yours (assuming you're a guy). you may not need all that room. you may want to make your shower about a foot bigger, eating up some of your closet space.

you may also want to remove those two indents in the corner of your house where the family room and master ensuite is. that would make the wall in the family room bigger and give you a bit more space in the ensuite upstairs.
Old 2011-04-05, 10:20 AM
Regular User

These are the changes I would make

Main Floor:

- center the fireplace & do built-ins on the sides (hate when the fireplace is not centered )
- delete the half walls with columns between the kitchen & family room to make it more open with no bulkheads between rooms if possible
- add an arched entrance to the kitchen in lieu of the family room
- where you have the curved art niches at the front, you might be limited with size of furniture/bench you can place there with the curved wall
- if you are not upgrading the Juliet balcony door in bed. 2, I would open up the wall more between living & dining

Upstairs:

- not crazy about the door to the toilet in the master ensuite, it will make your bathroom look larger with no door & I would add frameless glass to the shower!!!
- add door to master ensuite when you enter
- you can also extend the size of the shower by making "his" closet smaller to add a seat
Old 2011-04-05, 11:06 AM
Regular User

On the main floor, I'd see if you could add french/pocket doors to the den on the family room wall (and even consider closing off the other access point for more wall space for built-ins, that looks like a natural fit). As it is now, you'll access the den through your "mud room", though I know it's not exactly a mud room, it probably will be during the winter.

Forget the built ins in the family room and centre the fireplace to that wall (you can add built-ins on either side afterward). It will look strange with the FP offset in the room. It will also add a central focal point to the family room, which will be able to be enjoyed from the kitchen/breakfast area.

In the master, I would skip the coffered ceilings for sure (or have them do a coffer around the perimeter of the entire room rather than two separate coffers for each space), they will limit your furniture placement. I would also skip the fireplace, you've already got limited wall space for furniture with the offset in the back wall and the window placement. I'm not sure what they're thinking calling that the "master retreat", if you use that as a retreat where would you put your bed in the "master bedroom" area?

Finally I'd lose the water closet and open the walls up so you could add a frameless glass shower on the one side. IMO the shower is big enough, but it'll be like a cave with that tiny door as the only source of natural light. If you're worried about privacy, cause it looks as though there are no doors for the ensuite, add a pocket door opening into the larger closet space at the washroom entrance.

Last edited by Toukolou; 2011-04-05 at 11:09 AM.
Old 2011-04-05, 06:21 PM

Default Structural Update

You guys are awesome. Really can't believe how you guys were able to spot such good changes in such a short time. Anyhow I've taken better pictures of all three levels (yes, it comes with a 3rd level loft as a master). Some of the ideas that you guys came up with we already took into account but with such a bad pic layout and in such a short time is unbelievable. Anyhow, we have the final structural appointment next week so anything else you guys like to add I would be much appreciated. I like all the advice execpt the first paragraph from Toukolou (just my opinion though).

"On the main floor, I'd see if you could add french/pocket doors to the den on the family room wall (and even consider closing off the other access point for more wall space for built-ins, that looks like a natural fit). As it is now, you'll access the den through your "mud room", though I know it's not exactly a mud room, it probably will be during the winter."

I like the den the way it is because it would be perfect for a poker room or a mahjong room for my parents when their friends are over. This setup will separate them from us when we're watching TV or using the kitchen.

These are the upgrades added when we put in the offer.

- Close open to below area to create Master bedroom on Second Floor (it was open to above in the family room before with a small bedroom above the kitchen area). This layout will give us 2 master bedrooms. I didn't like the original idea that 4 rooms in the second floor was sharing 2 bathrooms (both jack/jill).

- 10 foot main with 8' doors and larger windows. 9 foot second floor with 7' doors and larger windows.

- Oak stairs from 2nd to loft, oak stairs from main to lower landing (main to second was a featured part of the sale).

- Extended kitchen cabinets.

- Stained all pickets to match stairs.

- Hardwood flooring for second floor hall way.

- Loft bedroom tray ceiling.

- Dining room coferred ceiling.

- A/C installed.

- 10 extra pot lights (20 total).

These are the upgrades that we want along with what you guys suggested.

- Larger basement windwos (24x36).

- Centre fireplace.

- Ugrade to frameless shower in both master bathrooms.

- Juliet Balcony.

- Delete 2 columns and half walls and arch from family room.

- Redesign entrace to master ensuite - Move entrance back and add door and redesign of shower to be frameless glass front as per sketch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tully - Main Floor.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	742.4 KB
ID:	8199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tully - Second Level.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	723.7 KB
ID:	8200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tully - Loft.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	968.0 KB
ID:	8201  
Old 2011-04-06, 12:38 PM
Regular User

"- Larger basement windwos (24x36)."

if you go 24x54 you'll be able to get full sized sheets of drywall and other construction material into your basement without going through the house.
Old 2011-04-06, 01:45 PM

Never thought of that. Do they make then that big? I'll ask at the structural appointment. Thanks.
Old 2011-04-06, 01:58 PM
Regular User

if you can, also go more than 24 deep - thyen they are legal means of egress
Old 2011-04-06, 02:20 PM

I think what we are getting is 36w x 24h. I guess I should have wrote 36x24?
Old 2011-04-06, 03:13 PM
Regular User

they do make them 48w and 54w as well. 48w looks wide enough for drywall but you then have to put it through at an angle. 54w is best if you need to load drywall through it. the more common heights are 18" to 24" but you can get any size as long as they dig a window well if required.