Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-07-28, 10:27 PM
Regular User

Try putting some water mixed with oxiclean on the affected area and cover it with some type of plastic like sedan wrap for about an hour (to keep it wet), remove plastic and clean with water.

Last edited by onearmed; 2011-07-28 at 10:30 PM.
Old 2011-07-28, 10:35 PM
Regular User

Casa Nuova, I wouldn't use baking soda because it is a mild abbrasive and I'm worried that when I wipe it up it will de-gloss my finish, but Neilboy's second link describes an option for cleaning granite where a poultice is made with 3% hydrogen peroxide and talc to draw the stain out. I also read on another site that for quartz you can use white flour and hydrogen peroxide, mixed to a honey-like consistency. These are good suggestions and I can't find anything indicating that hydrogen peroxide will damage the finish. I have also used hydrogen peroxide on white marble in the past successfully. Since it is a base, not an acid (which should be avoided) I think I will give this a try. The hardware store isn't open until the AM anyway.

Thanks again everyone, I'll post an update after I'ved tried the flour poultice.
Old 2011-07-28, 10:53 PM
Regular User

Maybe try a magic eraser?
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-07-28, 11:18 PM
Regular User

Yipee!!! The flour and 3% (over-the-counter) hydrogen peroxide worked!!

I tried straight hydrogen peroxide first, but it did not work.

I used 1 tbsp flour and enough peroxide to make a paste. It puffed up like pancake batter. I globbed some onto the stain area and covered in plastic wrap. 30 mins later I took off the wrap and wiped off the good and the stain was completely gone!!! The shine is still on the counter, so no damage done. Eco-friendly, kitchen friendly solution. Yay!

Thank you everyone who posted, your support and advice is so very much appreciated.

P.S. The counter installer told me magic erasers were a no-no for quartz because they can remove the gloss finish over time. Not sure if it would matter for a one-time stain or not but I didn't want to take a chance.
Old 2011-07-29, 08:47 AM
Regular User

methyl hydrate is used for gas line anti freeze for carborated engines you should be (or used to be) able to buy a 1 liter bottle of it in the automotive dept. at Canadian Tire. I used to use it all the time in my old truck. We also used to use it for purging propane tanks.
Old 2011-08-18, 12:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nJoy View Post
Yipee!!! The flour and 3% (over-the-counter) hydrogen peroxide worked!!

I tried straight hydrogen peroxide first, but it did not work.

I used 1 tbsp flour and enough peroxide to make a paste. It puffed up like pancake batter. I globbed some onto the stain area and covered in plastic wrap. 30 mins later I took off the wrap and wiped off the good and the stain was completely gone!!! The shine is still on the counter, so no damage done. Eco-friendly, kitchen friendly solution. Yay!

Thank you everyone who posted, your support and advice is so very much appreciated.

P.S. The counter installer told me magic erasers were a no-no for quartz because they can remove the gloss finish over time. Not sure if it would matter for a one-time stain or not but I didn't want to take a chance.
I'm having some stain problems with my new granite countertop. The installer told me to use methyl hydrate too and it is available at Rona. Has anyone used it and how was it?
Old 2012-01-25, 09:10 PM
Regular User

jzy, I know you posted quite a while back but I'll post in case this info is useful to someone else. I found the methyl hydrate option a waste of money, at least where quartz is concerned. I found it in the paint thinner section at Home Hardware. I tried rubbing the stain with methyl hydrate and a cloth and I also tried letting it sit on the stain to evapourate over night. Neither method lifted the stain. Also it not a friendly product to have lurking in your home. Would not recommend the methyl hydrate method.
Old 2012-09-28, 03:37 PM

Default quartz countertop

thanks. This is very interesting indeed to know peroixde works . I thought magic eraser would have worked, but the only concern is that you have to test a small area so that it would not take away the shine.

Here are few tips from these quartz companies:

http:/www.caesarstone.ca
http://www.haysonstone.com

hope that helps.
Old 2013-03-03, 09:57 AM

Default Care for Quartz

Quartz is very easy to maintain. Because it is made of quartz stone and a synthetic polymer, it appears to be naturally glossy and do not require polishing. For daily cleaning, simply wipe down your countertop with a damp cloth or paper towel and, if necessary, a small amount of non-bleach, non-abrasive cleanser. Don't use bleach and make sure you are using cleanser with low pH. Always use cutting boards and trivets whrn working on your counters.