Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2017-03-08, 09:17 AM

Default hardwood underlayment

Hi, This is for all but specially Patrob. I have read multiple forums about hardwood underlayment. These are 5 underlayment used 1) rosin paper 2) felt paper 3) wax paper 4) tarp 5) plastic sheet. Which one is better for hardwood. Thanks
Old 2017-03-10, 02:37 PM
Regular User

Any thoughts on the longevity, maintenance and upkeep of wire brushed oak flooring? I'm considering for my new place. Is it generally far more expensive than a normal finish? I'm having trouble finding prices online! thanks!
Old 2017-08-02, 12:05 PM
Regular User

Default hardwood vs carpet stairs

Hello All,

Any thoughts or opinions on hardwood staircase vs carpet staircase? I am having difficulty deciding. I do have two kids ( 5 and 1) and I keep getting mixed reviews that there is a risk of injuries slipping and falling if you go with hardwood with kids. The staircase is the focal point of home when you walk in so I am really torn. I am all for hardwood for longevity, look and maintenance.

What are your experiences or thoughts?
Old 2017-08-02, 01:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinammonswirl View Post
Hello All,

Any thoughts or opinions on hardwood staircase vs carpet staircase? I am having difficulty deciding. I do have two kids ( 5 and 1) and I keep getting mixed reviews that there is a risk of injuries slipping and falling if you go with hardwood with kids. The staircase is the focal point of home when you walk in so I am really torn. I am all for hardwood for longevity, look and maintenance.

What are your experiences or thoughts?
With kids, i would go with hardwood stairs. keep in mind that with little kids, any splits or pukes on the carpets would be hard to get rid of,especially the smell. If you worry about the slipping, you could always install the runners.. fyi, mine is hardwood stairs, my kids(3 and 5) were falling/slipping from the stairs 2-3 times when first moved in, they learned from it and it has not yet happened again
Old 2017-08-02, 01:52 PM
Regular User

+1 for hardwood. We have a 12mth old and wouldn't get carpet.

They'll only be 5 and 1 for so long and I think you'd regret not doing them down the road.
Old 2017-08-02, 03:42 PM
Regular User

I prefer carpet on the stairs, and if hardwood would put in a carpet runner. In one of my homes I had hardwood on the stairs and they were dangerous in nylons. I like the look of hardwood on the stairs but even hardwood isn't forever and spills can damage it too.
Old 2017-08-03, 10:38 AM
Regular User

thanks so much for your feedback everyone!
Old 2017-08-03, 02:29 PM
Regular User

also, off topic...did you opt to buy the AC with the builder or did you purchase it privately? which is cheaper?
Old 2017-08-03, 04:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinammonswirl View Post
also, off topic...did you opt to buy the AC with the builder or did you purchase it privately? which is cheaper?
even if it's cheaper with the builder, you're probably better off buying it after closing.

my latest home came with a builder installed R22 unit, and it has been much more expensive to repair and maintain than the unit I purchased at my previous house which was R410a.