Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-06-04, 12:13 PM
Regular User

Default The SohoWest Community Thread

Hey all,

Well I stumbled upon this site while doing a Google search on SohoWest. I was trying to find out some additional information on our soon to be wired/wireless community.

My wife and I have purchased the 3 bedroom with loft Carlan model (lot 117) and are waiting for the foundation dig to begin (slated to start July 14th, 2009). We orginally went to visit the Tartan sales center at SohoWest after seeing the Fergus model online. We had made a list of "must-haves" and this model and connected singles concept answered them all. It was only after walking into the Carlan model home that our decision was made.

We have decided to finish the basement so that we will have the overall size of the Fergus but still keep the open concept style of the Carlan.

Our initial closing date is December 1st, 2009 but with some of the updates we have chosen, we know that we will be delayed by 4-6 weeks (wishful thinking

I know that there are a few current SohoWest members on here at this time: noordinaryotter (love your progress thread) and TylerShannon but wanted to know if there were more.

I thought this thread could be a place for those soon to be SohoWesterners to introduce themselves and pass along information on the community, the build process, upcoming events, etc...

Did anyone venture in for the SohoWest BBQ last weekend? It was cold but a very good turnout...apparently there were a few more Tartan sales made that day.

We hope to hear from you soon...
Old 2009-06-04, 09:17 PM
Regular User

Hi, and welcome!

We went to the event. It was a great turnout. My middle child still has pink face paint in her blonde hair, lol.

What design choices did you make? Tell all!

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2009-06-04, 09:36 PM
Regular User

Hello and welcome,

We couldn't make it out to the party, but it sounded great. My kids would have loved to have pink hair.

We just heard from the sales office that our permit is supposed (fingers crossed) to be picked up next week, so hopefully the street will start to fill in before the years end.
Happy to be at home!
Old 2009-06-05, 09:02 PM

I made it out to the event, had a great time! My boyfriend and I are looking to buy our first home (very exciting!) and we are absolutely in love with what we saw in Sohowest. We are looking at the Bliss & Link models from Monarch. We haven't set anything in stone yet but are looking at closing for one of the May/June 2010 dates. We have yet to see the Link model so if anyone has seen it, please let me know what your thoughts are! Would be great to receive some feedback
Old 2009-06-05, 10:11 PM
Regular User

The Link model is the "Westmount" in Stonebridge. There's one on MLS (#722019) if you want to check it out. The Bliss is the "Highlands" model and there's a few for sale in Stonebridge now as well:

http://www.grapevine.ca/cgi-bin/listing.cgi?id=21370
http://www.grapevine.ca/cgi-bin/listing.cgi?id=22086
MLS# 725978

I've been in both models and I like the Bliss a bit better because the master bedroom/ensuite area is nicer and the kitchen is a lot more spacious, whereas the Link kitchen is a narrow galley style. In the Link the finished basement family room is a bonus though and the highlighter window at the back of the house is gorgeous. Good luck with your choice!
Old 2009-06-06, 11:20 AM
Regular User

It was nice to visit all of the other builder model homes at the SohoWest BBQ to see what else is available in the community. We had yet to do that even before buying the Tartan Carlan model.
The connected singles really won me over as two of my "must haves" was a double garage and my own driveway. I lived in a similar connected single style before and really enjoyed it.
The Tartan Carlan connected model is the exact same floorplan as the Tartan Amherst single family home but $50,000 cheaper...made the decision pretty easy...

Looking forward to hearing from more people on this thread.
Old 2009-06-06, 04:10 PM
Regular User

I feel the same way about the connecteds. The Beckwith is similar to the Ellis, and for $60,000 more for just a little bit of extra space (and no loft option). I wouldn't have even minded a townhome, so having a connected garage is absolutely fine for us, and even better than what we were originally looking for. I'm so glad they opened when they did (i.e. when we were shopping!).

Of course, this makes sense because land is expensive, and the singles that are not connected come with larger lots...so it's a tradeoff--one I'm glad to make as we're much happier with less land AND less mortgage, lol.

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...

Last edited by noordinaryotter; 2009-06-06 at 11:20 PM.
Old 2009-06-07, 09:46 AM
Regular User

We are so excited, we signed yesterday, tentative closing date is April 20, 2010. We chose the Davidson floor plan (first of this style in the community), four bedroom with loft, end unit elevation 2. was comparable to the Lincoln which was our first choice but as was noted in earlier threads, 40,000.00 less.
Old 2009-06-07, 10:35 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson86 View Post
We are so excited, we signed yesterday, tentative closing date is April 20, 2010. We chose the Davidson floor plan (first of this style in the community), four bedroom with loft, end unit elevation 2. was comparable to the Lincoln which was our first choice but as was noted in earlier threads, 40,000.00 less.
Welcome! I was beginning to wonder when there'd be a Davidson in the area! Seemed like everyone was getting the Carlan and the Ellis!
Old 2009-06-07, 11:49 AM
Regular User

Just wondering if anyone moving into SohoWest have children and/or pets?

We are child-free at this time...although we plan on raising our first children as Sohowesterners..

We do have a 9 month old female English Bulldog