Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-07-05, 11:37 AM
Regular User

Default Kitchen Island--Help Please!

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on kitchen islands with seating bench as in this picture (Tamarack Oxford Model).

I have a smallish kitchen dinette area that is adjacent to the kitchen. We were thinking of changing the "raised breakfast bar" to a flush island. I want the island to have a lot of storage/drawers (maybe a wine rack like in the model) and one idea was to make it an "L" shape with the bench on inside of the "L" like the Oxford model home shown in the picture. Here is our kitchen layout.

Our island would be almost half the size of the Oxford though. Instead of a long rectangular table, we would have a smaller square or round table. Basically we just want to be able to seat 4 people there. Something like this:

I would also put a couple of stools along the right-hand side of the island (the 4' side).

Another option would be to have a flush island (5.5 x 3.5) with the sink and some stools. Then add a small dinette table. It's just with the other plan we get a lot more storage and counter-top in the bigger island.

Any thoughts/advice on this plan?
Or any other suggestions?
We're past the structural changes to the kitchen so we can just play around with design and the island.

On a side note, we're undecided whether we'll keep the pantry as shown in the plan. We might just have more counters and an upright with pull-out shelves.

I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!

Last edited by sarcol27; 2009-07-05 at 11:40 AM.
Old 2009-07-07, 09:56 PM
Regular User

Anyone....? Please...
Old 2009-07-07, 11:18 PM
Regular User

Personally, i'm not a fan of that at all. I don't think you're taking scale into consideration. Or rather, you're considering it, but you're not neccesarily able to visualize it. A 36" table is not usable. Certainly not for everyday/casual eating.

You have a smallish space, and putting an L-shaped island in the high-traffic area will be detrimental to both flow and aesthetics.

I don't even have any recommendations... the raised bar is a great feature... but so is usable space in the dinette.

Just a heads up -- my neighbours had a raised bar installed in their kitchen (same model as mine) and its completely unusable. They would have needed custom chairs for how high it would be. I recommend sitting on a high chair, then measuring a comfortable dining position. Chances are likely that counter-height would be sufficient, and you'd likely want an island with an overhang (same height as countertop)

Old 2009-07-08, 10:53 PM
Regular User

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the input. I do find the raised counter a little high and do prefer more of a counter-height island with an overhang. Still trying to figure out the way to go and luckily I still have a bit of time to think about it.
Old 2009-07-09, 07:27 AM
Regular User

I think the area is too small for what you want. Your going to be bumping elbows while eating if you want to seat four people.

Is your house the Hartland? They have a model home in Chaperal with something similar (sort of) to what you want but without the benches and L shaped island.

Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-07-09, 08:01 AM
Regular User

Yes, it's the Hartland.
I have been to the model and wasn't crazy about the setup of the island/table mainly because I was thinking of more of a flushed island rather than the raised bar. I would also like to have a couple of chairs (counter-height) at the island but the way it is there, the table interferes with that.
Thanks for the response.
Old 2009-07-09, 07:33 PM
Regular User

In the latest photo above, i think it would look really good if the extended table part is raised to the same height as the counter, and all done in a single piece of granite (or at least same counter covering). Then you could get the counter height chairs you want.
Old 2009-07-09, 08:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurl View Post
In the latest photo above, i think it would look really good if the extended table part is raised to the same height as the counter, and all done in a single piece of granite (or at least same counter covering). Then you could get the counter height chairs you want.
That's a great ideal!
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-07-09, 09:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurl View Post
Do you mean something like this?
What do you think? Opinions please!
Thanks!!

Old 2009-07-10, 11:30 AM
Regular User

Yes I think that looks good. Keeping the profile of the other picture (the extension would be narrower) would look good too. Would allow for more room if needed too.