Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-12-21, 03:35 PM
Regular User

White Kitchen with Dark Island definitely. It looks too stark the other way.
Old 2009-12-21, 03:53 PM
Regular User

Do your backsplash after closing, you'll have so much more options. You don't need to choose the backsplash this early.
Old 2009-12-21, 04:23 PM
Regular User

Default Backsplash

I agree that an all white kitchen will be too clinical.

PJD is right, do the backsplash later, you will have way more options. I tend to want to shy away from the glass tiles for the backsplash as they may end up being 'trendy' and date your kitchen.

As for white or off white, again it depends on how 'off' it is.
Old 2009-12-21, 05:31 PM
Regular User

Thanks again everyone. Appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming...

Seems most prefer the dark island. FYI: our floor and island won't be as dark as the first photo, more chocolate brown.

As to the colour of off-white, here it is in a photo of a model home. The colour is called "traditional vanilla" and it looks a lot like white, just "off" a bit.

I think we will wait and do backsplash later. The builder had a couple options I liked but think I will have more choice later on and at a better price.
Old 2009-12-21, 08:05 PM
Regular User

i just cant get pass the white "clinincal" kitchen cabinets.
sorry PDJ hehe, but yes i do agree with pdj that the island should be chocolate. it will bring the look all together. but if you must, make the kitchen cabinets off white or creamy white to tie in with the warmness of the chocolate. also you can accent the back splash with choice of dark chocolate accents to compliment the cabinets and island
Old 2009-12-21, 08:32 PM
Regular User

Hey Sarcol,

As you already know, my kitchen is mostly based on this pic. Just wanted to mention that initially I was going with Traditional Vanilla cabs but I wanted them just like the cabs in this pic (color-wise) so I asked the design centre and they told me that these cabs (in the Chaperal Huntington model) are Traditional White...not Vanilla....

**BTW, you have great taste...**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcol27 View Post
Thanks again everyone. Appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming...

Seems most prefer the dark island. FYI: our floor and island won't be as dark as the first photo, more chocolate brown.

As to the colour of off-white, here it is in a photo of a model home. The colour is called "traditional vanilla" and it looks a lot like white, just "off" a bit.

I think we will wait and do backsplash later. The builder had a couple options I liked but think I will have more choice later on and at a better price.

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013

Old 2009-12-21, 10:09 PM
Regular User

Straycat: Are they really traditional white? Awhile back they told me traditional vanilla and I've been basing by selection on that all along! Who told you they were traditional white anyway?

You have great taste too!
So, are you going with the traditional white then instead?
Old 2009-12-21, 10:33 PM
Regular User

Question

I understand that choosing to do the backsplash after closing may create issues with the depth of the electrical boxes put in for power outlets and switches - are there different depth electrical boxes that would need to be used if the builder sets-up the outlets for no backsplash and then I want to add one?
Old 2009-12-21, 11:36 PM
Regular User

Default Backsplash electrical

This is absolutely not an issue. The screws that attach the plug into the box can be used to offset for the depth of the tiles. Unless your tiles are more than 2 inches thick, or if the electrician attached the box to the back of the stud instead of the front, there is no problem with doing the backsplash later. I was worried about this as well, and I felt like an idiot when i saw how easy it was to deal with it
Old 2009-12-22, 12:49 AM
Regular User

Pure white cabs do not always create a stark, "clinical" look...it depends on what other colors you use in your decor. I am going with chocolate floors and white cabs. My counters will be black with some white-grey-brown in it and the walls will be painted a greyish taupe color. With the choices I have made, I am incorporating both browns and greys throughout the main floor. Then I will decide on an accent color (most likely turquoise) and that will be the punch of color in my warn neutrals palette for the main floor. I will also be using an accent wallpaper for the dining area and that wallpaper also includes the colors I am going with as well as the accent color. Once complete I am certain my main floor will be cozy and inviting...white cabs and all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedBlue View Post
i just cant get pass the white "clinincal" kitchen cabinets.
sorry PDJ hehe, but yes i do agree with pdj that the island should be chocolate. it will bring the look all together. but if you must, make the kitchen cabinets off white or creamy white to tie in with the warmness of the chocolate. also you can accent the back splash with choice of dark chocolate accents to compliment the cabinets and island

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013