Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2010-12-30, 03:31 PM
Regular User

We are looking to have a humidifier installed in the house. Can anyone recommend a company in the GTA and for those that have installed, any thoughts on increased Hydro bill.

Thanks

Old 2011-01-03, 01:22 PM
Regular User

why would the hydro bill go up? the bypass units consume virtually no electricity. there is increased water usage but you can adjust the flow rate to minimize waste.
Old 2011-01-03, 03:12 PM
Regular User

the thread is about steam humidifiers
Old 2011-01-03, 03:49 PM
Regular User

I also have one installed and thus far it's great!
Old 2011-01-03, 11:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
why would the hydro bill go up? the bypass units consume virtually no electricity. there is increased water usage but you can adjust the flow rate to minimize waste.
I was asking this when I was still thinking of going with the steam. I have been it would not be appropriate for my house.

Old 2011-01-21, 09:12 AM

Wink

My second year with a truesteam and I'm quit happy. The unit needed a cleaning in the summer and that was it , ie new filter. I have a 12 gallon unit and the diffrence in the two worse months january, february is amazing. I can sleep at night without feeling like I swallowed the sahara sands in the morning.

Not only that ,but mister cat and bunny pur so happily when I pet they now , ie no more static shock syndrom for kitty. He used to light up the room with static that shocked him especially when he sniffed stuff. haha

The price to start is a bit , and operations are a bit costly on power but it saves the environment by not using 1000 galons of water a month like the less expensive unit .

Once water rates go up that will be a telling factor . So snuggle in and enjoy the now cozy house with the correct humidity level.

I'd like to hook an hour meter to it to see how much it operates every year.

ps I installed it myself , if you can change the brake pads in your car then you can do this ......
I installed a metal frame 2 x 2 wall just 24 inches wide beside my furnace to hang the unit on , the plenum was too short to take the full unit, I then used the steam pipe extension kit to get the extra 2 feet I needed to place the injection nozzle in the plenum , fun stuff for a diy like me.

Last edited by GeoStar; 2011-01-21 at 09:18 AM.
Old 2011-01-21, 09:22 AM
Regular User

the thing is, you don't need 9 or 12 to maintain humidity levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
Great review. I missed this. I am into my second winter with my TruSteam. And without repeating much of what has been said... Here is what mine has been capable of:

SPECS of the home:
-non energy star 2 story home single
-no HRV
-3 kids 2 adults 2 pets LOL
-1700sqft home built 2009
-ottawa

According to the sizing charts the 6gallon unit i chose is just going to do the job. And ill be honest even buying this thing at cost had me trying to save a buck, the 9gallon unit would have been the better unit. But it was still another 150$ i did no want to spend.

Anyway this unit even though i feel its just border line with sizing does do a great job. I purposely ran the last 2 weeks without a humidifier to see how dry i could get the house. My meter read 22% 2 days ago! After the first 24hrs i was at about 32% and today i am at 40% humidity level.. This reading is take at eye level in my dining room. I have the unit on still and will see where it tops out. I dont expect much more humidity in the house. But ill let this thing run for a few more days. an 18% increase is pretty good and in 2 days time. I would expect a 9gallon unit would have been faster.
Old 2011-01-21, 09:44 AM
Regular User

No I news between 6-9gallons. Like I said I'm just a touch shy of optimal. I think I could raise levels faster with a 9gallon unit. Just means mine will run longer the a 9 would have
Old 2011-01-21, 05:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoStar View Post
ps I installed it myself , if you can change the brake pads in your car then you can do this ......
I had a friend help me install our True Steam. We followed the instructions step-by-step. When the humidifier signals the blower to run, there is no soft start. The blower goes full speed. I don't think this will be good for the blower in the long run.

When there's a call for heat I notice that the blower gradually runs to full speed. I want the same thing to happen when there's a call for humidity.

GeoStar or anyone else, do you encounter the same thing? If not then please let me know how you did the wiring to the furnace control.

If I remember correctly, we just connected the brown wire to the G terminal.

Thanks,
Mr. Halladay
Old 2011-11-29, 05:05 PM
Regular User

Just bought a 12 gal with visionpro from ARMS supply in scarborough.

$880 taxed in,

Not sure why this contractor wanting to charge me $1600+HST to install this and supplied when even if I asked someone to install, I'm sure won't cost $600+???

I won't mention the contractor's company for now but wtf $1600