Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-03-29, 08:59 PM

Default Building a home in the Ottawa area..

Hello. I am interested in building a home in the Ottawa area on a lot that is for sale. However, I am totally clueless about the entire process. I need a company that can build a complete home for me that is quality and fairly affordable. I know there is Guildcrest Homes (guildcrest.com) but I am unsure of their quality. Are there any others similar to Guildcrest that someone can recommend?

Also, when it comes to buying a lot, what needs to be done? Is there such a thing as "property lawyers" who wil figure out all of the legal stuff for you?
Old 2010-03-29, 10:45 PM
Regular User

Here's a starting point:

http://www.ottawakiosk.com/custom-home-builders.html

Good luck.
Old 2010-03-30, 08:00 PM
Regular User

thanks lex. does anyone have any experience with guildcrest? I like that everything is laid out for you, they do everything from building to wiring to plumbing to flooring, etc. Just don't know what kind of quality I should expect.
Old 2010-03-30, 11:52 PM
Regular User

Guildcrest was a sponsor to CHEO lottery a couple years ago. I've seen their demonstration "home" in the Canadian Tire parking lot on Hunt Club and it was really nice. I don't know the engineering quality though.

I'm always puzzled why prefab homes are not the norm in construction. Quality should be easier to maintain in a factory without the weather element.

I suspect finding a suitable lot in Ottawa is the most difficult thing in the whole process.
Old 2010-03-31, 12:35 AM
Regular User

You'd probably have more luck buying an old home on a big lot, tearing it down and then re-building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestone View Post

I suspect finding a suitable lot in Ottawa is the most difficult thing in the whole process.
Old 2010-03-31, 07:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnn View Post
Hello. I am interested in building a home in the Ottawa area on a lot that is for sale. However, I am totally clueless about the entire process. I need a company that can build a complete home for me that is quality and fairly affordable. I know there is Guildcrest Homes (guildcrest.com) but I am unsure of their quality. Are there any others similar to Guildcrest that someone can recommend?

Also, when it comes to buying a lot, what needs to be done? Is there such a thing as "property lawyers" who wil figure out all of the legal stuff for you?

When buying a lot, you need to make sure it's developable. Not all lots are. Some have restrictions due to environmental/ecological/dimensional site features. Also you should be looking for a lot that's already serviced. Getting hydro/gas/municipal water to an unserviced lot might cost you a pretty penny.

One thing to keep in mind is that land, like recreational property, usually has to be purchased outright, or with an insanely-high downpayment.

Yes, property lawyers are the very best people to sort it out for you. Go with someone familiar with buying plots of land.

Old 2010-03-31, 08:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
When buying a lot, you need to make sure it's developable. Not all lots are. Some have restrictions due to environmental/ecological/dimensional site features. Also you should be looking for a lot that's already serviced. Getting hydro/gas/municipal water to an unserviced lot might cost you a pretty penny.

One thing to keep in mind is that land, like recreational property, usually has to be purchased outright, or with an insanely-high downpayment.

Yes, property lawyers are the very best people to sort it out for you. Go with someone familiar with buying plots of land.
Finding a lot that is already serviced is tough. I have found one that i really like and cable/hydro/gas goes "by" it but it has never been used so it would need to be run up to the home once its built. No idea where I can find numbers on what it would cost though. It would need a well and septic put in. So many variables..how can you even tell if there is a water source to put a well in. I've also heard that it is harder to get a mortgage to build a home rather than buy one thats already built, which I can understand in some ways but normally the home is worth more than what it cost to build.
Old 2010-03-31, 09:16 AM
Regular User

Do you have your heart set on a single lot with a custom home or would you consider a new home from a developer in a new sub-division? With that type of new build you can still make some changes to the layout of the home (depending on the builder) and change whatever you like of the interior. It's a simpler choice if you're looking for something that is easy to navigate -- they handle the lot; the utilities; etc. and you can use pretty much any lawyer you like since their contracts are very standard.

There are many new home builders in Ottawa. Some of them also buy sections of land and then build completely custom homes on them for you. But that's going to be a more expensive option I think.

It sounds like from your outside of Ottawa, and you mentioned "fairly affordable". Not much in Ottawa is what I would consider affordable unless you're used to prices in Toronto or Vancouver.