Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-02-04, 07:41 AM
Regular User

Default Paint - What to use?

We've painted in the past and have use a wide variety of paints. Went with the Behr Premium Plus Ultra a few times in the past when working with a dark colour. Great results because we didn't have to prime, but 2 coats were still required. Also used various levels of Benjamin Moore with mixed results.

Trying to weight budget vs. required effort vs. results. Sadly looks like we'll have to DIY the paint as priorities suck up funds for other things. I hate painting...really.

Talked to the guys at Lowes last night about the Para Paints basic stuff that was on sale (2 for 1 last week) and they gave it mixed reviews calling it "thin" and saying "you'll definitely need 2 coats and even 3+primer if going dark". Wondering if this has been discussed before somewhere else or if people have any thoughts. Trying to strike the balance between price and results. I've seen jobs look great at every price point and jobs look ok, even though BJM top level paint was used.

Any recommendations on tools too? Sounds funny, but just tired of painting with tools that require more effort than they should. What do the pros use?

BTW...we're mostly going with light colours. Gotta paint asap to cover up the standard "peachy white" as we call it. What ever happen to just white-white? I could have lived with that for a few months. haha.

The husband.

Last edited by JCspecial; 2011-02-04 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Update
Old 2011-02-04, 08:07 AM
Regular User

Peachy-white...yuck! I agree, I'd be able to live with a true white-white a bit longer than one with an odd undertone.
From watching DIY and design shows, I've noticed that quite a few use Para Paints, even though they may be using top of the line.
I've used all of the above, including BM Aura. It was nice, but I hated the finish that was selected (different story).
When I went to Lowe's, all of the Valspar reps were there, and were trying to get me into their brand - I told them had they had any sort of deal on, I'd switch and give it a shot
My boss (who is an artist) always uses Rona brand paint (not even Sico) and he swears by it! Loves the coverage and colour vibrancy (he uses lemon yellows alot and fuchsias alot).
As for our house, I've pretty much bought most of the paint we'll need. They way I see it, is that in a years time, when Tartan comes back to fix the nail pops, I'll need to repaint the walls anyways (I hate "touching up"). So if I need to switch brands at that point (or colours), its not a big deal ($$$wise).
Old 2011-02-04, 08:13 AM
Regular User

I hate painting because I think I'm terrible at it but the last couple of times I've DIY'd it, I've used Beauti-Tone from Home Hardware and I love it. I've used the higher end Beauti-Tone and I find it goes on really well with little to no blemishes and splatter. I've stuck to mostly lighter colours and when I repaint the house after my one year, I plan to use professional painters. I think it's best for all involved....
Old 2011-02-04, 08:39 AM
Regular User

I like sico chamois or cashmere in no/low traffic areas (rona puts in on sale regularly)

rona brand paint is good, beautytone is good

just doing a dining room in the lowes paint - wont be doing that again - it is watery and splatters, coverage is not the best in dark
Old 2011-02-04, 09:03 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
I like sico chamois or cashmere in no/low traffic areas (rona puts in on sale regularly)

rona brand paint is good, beautytone is good

just doing a dining room in the lowes paint - wont be doing that again - it is watery and splatters, coverage is not the best in dark
Lowes brand or Para?
Old 2011-02-04, 09:35 AM
Regular User

I love Sico paint - only thing I use. I find it goes on great and covers very well. I have done pinks and purples (for my lil angel) over beige with no primer and it required 2 coats but looks amazing. I have used Behr in the past (only once) and will never use it again.

And it is easily washable (a real plus when you have little ones).
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2011-02-04, 09:46 AM
Regular User

We used the mid-range BM, can't remember the name of the line (there's a woman on the tin). We got 20% off all our paint through a friend but you can hire their colour consultant for $75 and get that discount as well. We went with mostly lighter tones throughout the house and we're happy with the results. We didn't do the painting ourselves but our painter said he liked using the BM products.
Old 2011-02-04, 09:49 AM
Regular User

We also love Sico paint and will be redoing our new place with it when the time comes. We used the Matte finish for almost everything in our current place - just because we like the look.

Other stuff we used and will not use again - Behr, Benjamin Moore
Old 2011-02-04, 12:52 PM
Regular User

I'm a big fan of benjamin moore's cheap line - "Ben". It is my paint of choice these days. It has always given me good results.

Behr is not bad, painted our first home with that. It seems thicker than most.
Rona brand is also alright.
The paint from colour your world is okay. I have only used the glossy trim paint but I did find it very expensive for what I got.
I've used pittsburgh paints many years ago. I can't remember its quality though. Are they still around?

The most important thing is to use the right tools. Make sure you are using a roller with an appropriate nap (i.e. do not use a 15mm for a semi-gloss paint). Use good quality brushes. Make sure your walls are clean and dry. Take your time taping, edging etc. Prep work is half the battle and is overlooked by many.

Flat paints are easier to work with and hide imperfections better. I use them in all rooms except wet areas.
Old 2011-02-04, 02:59 PM
Regular User

I had to paint some of my rooms before I put my house on the market last year. I tired the Rona Collection paint and it was pretty good. Rona usually has their paint sale around the beginning of March.