Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2011-02-23, 09:27 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Before "energy star" became standard on all Richcraft homes they were charging about $8000 a fews years back. This included higher insulation ratings and HRV.

If you have any doubt that you will be re-selling your home in the near future DONT upgrade to energy star. It will take a very long time to recoup the costs on that upgrade. From my buying/selling experience its not something that buyers are willing to pay a whole lot more for on a re-sale.
Great point!

I would lightly debate it if I were staying in a house at least 10yrs.
Old 2011-02-23, 10:21 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Before "energy star" became standard on all Richcraft homes they were charging about $8000 a fews years back. This included higher insulation ratings and HRV.

If you have any doubt that you will be re-selling your home in the near future DONT upgrade to energy star. It will take a very long time to recoup the costs on that upgrade. From my buying/selling experience its not something that buyers are willing to pay a whole lot more for on a re-sale.
Really? It would be a big selling point for me, particularly if compared to a home that has electric heat, for example.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2011-02-23, 10:57 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume View Post
Really? It would be a big selling point for me, particularly if compared to a home that has electric heat, for example.
Lets compare apples to apples here, I'm talking more about newer homes from the big builders in Ottawa.

Lets say you have a newly built home in 2010 from Richcraft that comes with Energy star standard, and another re-sale Richcraft home of the same model build in 2005 that didn't have the energy star package because the owner didn't want to pay $9000 extra for it.
A buyer might be more enticed to pick the newer one because of the energy star but I doubt they will be willing to pay $9000 on top of the price for it !
Just my two cents from my buying/selling experience.
Old 2011-03-03, 12:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodie View Post
Who is the builder? and how big is the house? Is it single?
I'd find out what exactly the $9k included over and above the non-energy star. Blowing extra attick insulation from the code's- R40 to R50 could be done at anytime for an extra $600 or so (from what I have seen on some message boards). I would ask what the individual differences are and see if you think they are worth the extra money.... and as other have said, if you won't live there long, it won't recover the extra cost. You May consider buying a home from a builder that only builds to the Energy star minimum standard. i.e. Tamarack/Tartan..
Old 2011-04-05, 01:46 AM

Default E80 or not?

How do I know if my house will be E80? I put in the offer November of 2010 but it won't be closing till May 2012. I know for a fact the builder hasn't gotten the building permit yet. The builder is Kylemore Communities. The project is Angus Glen West Village. Reading in the features section I know they are only doing R40 in the attic (not E80).