Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2011-03-25, 08:38 AM
Regular User

I walked through the house as it was being build almost daily.

Builder recognized me as a trades person when i introduced myself at the site office and said as long as I where my boots and hard hat he would never know i was on site He was good to deal with. Im equipt to be on construction site so i blended in
Old 2011-03-25, 12:40 PM
Regular User

i had no problem getting authorization to tape the duct joints during construction and was even given a key by the builder to use while i was doing it. i met with the electrician and he expressed no concern that his work was tampered with because the duct joints had been taped. the drywall guys were really the only ones who minded when we came around - i suspect it was because they were using one of the tubs as a urinal.
Old 2011-03-25, 09:32 PM
Regular User

I too came in the house on a Sunday & taped all my ducts. I did not ask for permission because I was convinced that it was not something they would give me a hard time for. I never heard about it either.
Old 2011-03-25, 11:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometech View Post
If you say so....I don't think this forum encourages the advice of illegal activity. The fact remains that it's not your property to frequent whenever you like and to carryout what you feel are improvements. If you want to visit the site during construction then you should obtain proper authorization from your builder and wear proper protection as required for a construction site.
If by illegal activity you mean trespassing, this forum is encouraging it but indirectly. Just open up any progress thread and/or blog and you will see incriminating pictures of potential new home owners trespassing before their closing date. If you feel that strongly about it, I suggest you contact the forum owner and ask him to make it a rule to post only exterior pics. This way their will be no encouragement of trespassing directly or indirectly.

I don't know about anyone else but the builder and the trades were commiting a lot of illegal activites after I closed. Stealing my electricity and water, trades illegally parking their personal vehicles on my driveway, the landscapers trespassing by using the side of my house to transport soil back and forth. And then at the end of the day, they would leave their mini-tractor and bobcats on my private property. Memo to Tamarack, I won't say anything if you don't.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-03-25, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I don't know about anyone else but the builder and the trades were commiting a lot of illegal activites after I closed. Stealing my electricity and water, trades illegally parking their personal vehicles on my driveway, the landscapers trespassing by using the side of my house to transport soil back and forth. And then at the end of the day, they would leave their mini-tractor and bobcats on my private property. Memo to Tamarack, I won't say anything if you don't.
You will find in most purchase agreements there will be something in there about the lot being a means of egress for construction traffic while the area is still under construction.

As for 'illegal activity', home buyers do not own the house until they close. However many builders will unknowingly allow buyers on the sites to see progress. But do not, ever, make any 'improvements' to a house without consulting the site super first. Many people have no idea what they are doing when it comes to construction and can do a lot of stupid things to a house.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2011-03-25, 11:22 PM
Regular User

Our sales rep is amazing, he really understands this process and how important it is to us and asked that we just let him know when we'd like to look at our house at any point and he will have no problem taking us through the tour! Isn't he wonderful, he really has been so great honestly part of why we bought the house was because of his wonderful customer service, of course we we love the house but we love it even more because of him. So thankfully we never have to worry about that, try just talking to your sales rep or whoever is in charge of this sort of thing...hope it works out for you
Old 2011-03-26, 12:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Many people have no idea what they are doing when it comes to construction and can do a lot of stupid things to a house.
It's pretty hard to screw up applying silver tape to duct work joints, even for someone who has no idea what they're doing. This is usually a skill taught in grade 1. That's specifically what we were referring to here. I never would advocate doing electrical work or otherwise until I took possession.
Old 2011-03-26, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
It's pretty hard to screw up applying silver tape to duct work joints, even for someone who has no idea what they're doing.
I am more concerned with those who suggest they are going to be nailing their floors down. Or putting holes through anything to run new wire for anything.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2011-03-26, 05:22 PM
Regular User

people need to be careful - clearly there is no tarion warranty for purchaser alterations / additions

some builder/subs take this to the extreme and deny coverage for everything / anything on an altered system

also, people found onsite (even on weekends) can be fined by the provinical ministry responsible for construction areas
Old 2011-03-26, 05:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
It's pretty hard to screw up applying silver tape to duct work joints, even for someone who has no idea what they're doing.
the biggest issue is liability - not difficult to injure yourself falling off a step ladder or trying to get to the second floor in a house with no stairs