Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2011-03-22, 04:58 PM
Regular User

Default Scaled Drawings

Curious to know if it's customary to receive scaled drawings of your home?

I want to start looking at furniture for my townhome (tentatively closing in July - 99% sure it won't be closing until November or later), but my builder will not provide measurements - I was told they're not allowed to provide homeowners with scaled drawings.

The floor plans on their site are helpful, but I even noticed that the kitchen somehow loses 4ft when flipped from Elevation A to B (this is an obvious mistake, which they acknowledged when I bought over a year ago... yet the floor plans online remain unchanged)

http://phoenixhomes.ca/documents/hom...oorPlan_58.pdf

So, what I'd like to know is if this is normal? Do any builders provide detailed drawings with the measurements? The drawings I received at my final Design Center appointment show the location of all my upgrades, the TV and phone outlets, as well as where the wall jut-outs will be - but no measurements.

I've received a couple "approximate" measurements for between the jut-outs, but I'd like to have something more concrete. There isn't a model of my home either, otherwise I'd go measure it myself.

Looking to hear if other builders provide these types of drawings, or if I'm asking too much!

Thanks!
Old 2011-03-22, 05:00 PM
Regular User

Most builders will not provide these drawings to you. However, you should be able to look at them and review them- either at the sales center or at their home office - and write down the dimensions that you need.
Old 2011-03-22, 05:10 PM
Regular User

I have never bought a house where the floorplans did not have measurements so that part is the same.

Also I can't remember a builder who didn't give us a legal or letter size copy of the actual blueprints showing electrical, windows, walls etc etc

We tell them that we understand there there will be minor variations in the actual construction (where a floor vent is, where the cable outlet is) for example. I know from discussing this with them that some have had homebuyers expect everything to be exact which is why they are reluctant to share them.

Last edited by good2know; 2011-03-22 at 05:17 PM.
Old 2011-03-23, 12:17 AM
Regular User

We also got a copy on legal paper of our floor plans, so we could think about where we wanted outlets and stuff.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2011-03-23, 06:30 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
I have never bought a house where the floorplans did not have measurements so that part is the same.

Also I can't remember a builder who didn't give us a legal or letter size copy of the actual blueprints showing electrical, windows, walls etc etc

We tell them that we understand there there will be minor variations in the actual construction (where a floor vent is, where the cable outlet is) for example. I know from discussing this with them that some have had homebuyers expect everything to be exact which is why they are reluctant to share them.
Really? I don't think we have anything like that in our recent package (detailed drawings from Tartan), but I know for sure we had it with Mattamy. I really liked having it.
But with Tartan, if we ever needed to look at the actual blueprints, M at the sales centre had no issue pulling out the book for us!
Old 2011-03-23, 06:56 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
Really? I don't think we have anything like that in our recent package (detailed drawings from Tartan
yes but we had to ask. It wasn't an automatic thing.
Old 2011-03-23, 07:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
yes but we had to ask. It wasn't an automatic thing.
Oh, that makes sense then
Old 2011-03-23, 07:49 AM
Regular User

Smile Thank you!

Thanks for all the replies!

I do have detailed drawings from the builder, indicating the upgrades, telephone jack locations, bulkheads, etc., but they don't provide measurements. What I am most curious about is the distance between some of the wall jut-outs, as I'd like to fit some furniture between those.

I will ask if I can go take a look at the blueprints, so that I can copy down the measurements I'm interested in. I certainly understand that nothing will be 100% exact, but it'd be nice to have a better idea of the sizes I should be looking for!

Thanks again!
Old 2011-03-23, 08:02 AM
Regular User

on my monitor, if I zoom the floorplans you posted @ 250% the scale is

1/2 inch per foot .... so you could measure everything you need pretty much from that I think
Old 2011-03-23, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Builders who provide measurements get into trouble when things are not built to the centimeter.

We're doing a number of semi-custom homes right now and the builder will not give measurements out to the clients. Too many things change on site in order to fit things in the walls.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/