Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2011-03-23, 09:41 AM
Regular User

I thought industry practice, unless you were having a custom built, was not to provide blueprints for the reasons Greg mentioned. This is my third new build, and I have always been able to review blueprints at the builder's office, but have never received a copy for myself.
Old 2011-03-23, 03:08 PM
Regular User

Don't you have a photo reduced copy of yours? They gave us a copy after the plan review / signoff and we got another from Sig AV.
Old 2011-03-23, 07:50 PM
Regular User

Talking

Thank you again for all the help!

I asked my builder if I could come check the blueprints, but instead they found a homeowner in Barrhaven that has my same model who's allowing me to walk through next week. I will take my drawings and fill in my own measurements.

It worked out! Now a house would be nice...

Thanks again! (and sorry for posting in the Ottawa specific forum)

Last edited by LE233; 2011-03-23 at 07:52 PM.
Old 2011-03-23, 08:56 PM
Regular User

My builder doesn't allow even a review of the permit drawings. The real estate agent managed to score a set for me to review (but not copy) when we signed. I noted some 2x10 joist spans seemed too large, and confirmed they did not fall within the joist span tables in the OBC, so I brought them to the attention of the local building department officials. All hell broke loose. The agent got in trouble, I got a phone call explaining that the joists were in compliance with OBC (part 4, not part 9) which I still dispute (with the structural analysis to back it up), though it is now a matter of a couple of inches and not a couple of feet, and that an upgrade to 2x12 joists would be $6000 at my cost. I decided to resolve any bouncy ground floor conditions with a partition wall in the basement and not fight them tooth-and-nail on it, as it would have taken up entirely too much of my time over some joist spans that were inches too long.

I still maintain that I should be able to review the drawings of the home I am buying. If they want to include acceptable tolerances on room sizes, that is easily accomplished. I managed to "score" my own set of drawings early in the building process, and used them to confirm two windows that were initially installed in the wrong locations. I'm glad I had those drawings.

Last edited by BartBandy; 2011-03-24 at 12:01 PM.