Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2011-03-24, 05:51 PM
StrayCat StrayCat is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Findlay Creek, Ottawa
Posts: 1,297
Default Did you report all items on your inspection report for the year end to Tarion?

I just submitted my year-end warranty form to Tarion. I based it mainly on the inspection report I have from closing day (I hired an inspector who went through the house before we moved anything in).

The inspector I hired did a very thorough job and I was quite satisfied for the price I paid. However, he has a pretty bad opinion of my builder and was pretty harsh in his report...with several insults and sarcasm throughout the report.

He said the builder needs to change all the vents on the roof to those that stand up higher off the roof (maximum ventilation) in order to meet OBC. He also said that the HRV system is garbage and should be replaced by proper fans in all bathrooms. Then there was mention that the heat ducts should never be placed in any cabinetry so therefore they should all be replaced or redone properly. There were other things too but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. All his suggestion were made in reference to the OBC, CMHC docs etc.

Although a lot of this seems to make sense (but what do I know!?!?), I am pretty sure there is no chance any of these changes will be made by the builder.


Did any of you have items like this on your inspection report? If so, did you report them and were any of them addressed?
__________________
Tamarack Huntington
Findlay Creek
Closing: March 24th, 2010







Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013




Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2011-03-24, 06:37 PM
good2know's Avatar
good2know good2know is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,787
Default

Inspectors are expected to be objective, impartial and professional.

Yours fails all of the above.

You did not pay for personal opinions about a builder - just factual observations regarding your house in the context of OBC and Tarion requirements.

There is one inspector in town I know who matches your description. He has a reputataion for substituting personal opinion about how it should be, making erroneous references to code and/or Tarion guidelines and getting homeowners agitated beyond reason/necessary for the situation.

He is not a member of any of the associations that guide home inspections and does not follow their standards of practice.

He has, and deserves, no respect from Builders, Tarion officials, Building officials, fellow inspectors and the subtrades.

In your case>>

- mushroom vents are fully code compliant (yes stacked vents are better in a snow climate and many builders do use them)
- Builders do not install top of the line hvac components as a standard - but they are all available as upgrades. Yours has a warranty and if it fails they will fix it. These are installed in 000s of houses in Ontario. This is like 'GMC sucks you need a Honda' argument. A properly installed central system will vent your home effectively.
- heat ducts being installed under cabinets with a grill in the kick plate is common. Better if it is piped all the way with a boot. Ask the builder to do that for you - but I'm not sure they must.

Your report I'm sure has valid observations, but misleading regarding at least these 3 observations.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2011-03-24, 06:46 PM
StrayCat StrayCat is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Findlay Creek, Ottawa
Posts: 1,297
Default

Good2know, I feel better already knowing I did not include many of the items listed in my inspection report on the Tarion warranty form...I just couldn't imagein that my builder (a very reputable one at that, or any builder for that matter) would fail to follow code on so many things.

Now I am curious as to who you have in mind...PM me if you don't mind sharing!
__________________
Tamarack Huntington
Findlay Creek
Closing: March 24th, 2010







Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013




Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2011-03-24, 09:11 PM
Victor11 Victor11 is offline
Junior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13
Default

In my opinion, no builder is perfect. Once in a while, code violation occurs even with the most respectable builder(s). It's because sometimes they don't have enough inspectors to ensure trades make it right. However, the important thing is that the builder (i.e. the Customer support manager) accepts it's the fault, and is willing to fix it. So, it doesn't harm to raise your voice. It isn't your fault to list everything suspicious. (The only time you need to be careful is when you make an inspection appointment with Tarion. You may lose a few hundred of dollars if Tarion doesn't agree with ALL of the items on your list).

My brother bought a house from a respectable builder, and his list consisted of more than 100 items. The builder fixed all of them, and he was happy. His neighbor buying the same model, having almost similar upgrades, had 15 items. The builder fixed all, and he was also happy (but was not after talking to my brother). That leads me to think that if you don't talk out loud, no one can hear you. No builder has time to find out problems for you after the closing date. Your 1 year report is perhaps your last chance to talk.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2011-03-24, 09:28 PM
StrayCat StrayCat is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Findlay Creek, Ottawa
Posts: 1,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor11 View Post
In my opinion, no builder is perfect. Once in a while, code violation occurs even with the most respectable builder(s). It's because sometimes they don't have enough inspectors to ensure trades make it right. However, the important thing is that the builder (i.e. the Customer support manager) accepts it's the fault, and is willing to fix it. So, it doesn't harm to raise your voice. It isn't your fault to list everything suspicious. (The only time you need to be careful is when you make an inspection appointment with Tarion. You may lose a few hundred of dollars if Tarion doesn't agree with ALL of the items on your list).

My brother bought a house from a respectable builder, and his list consisted of more than 100 items. The builder fixed all of them, and he was happy. His neighbor buying the same model, having almost similar upgrades, had 15 items. The builder fixed all, and he was also happy (but was not after talking to my brother). That leads me to think that if you don't talk out loud, no one can hear you. No builder has time to find out problems for you after the closing date. Your 1 year report is perhaps your last chance to talk.
Well put!

I do have a question for you: what do you mean by, "You may lose a few hundred of dollars if Tarion doesn't agree with ALL of the items on your list"???
__________________
Tamarack Huntington
Findlay Creek
Closing: March 24th, 2010







Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013




Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2011-03-24, 10:13 PM
Victor11 Victor11 is offline
Junior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayCat View Post
Well put!

I do have a question for you: what do you mean by, "You may lose a few hundred of dollars if Tarion doesn't agree with ALL of the items on your list"???
Thanks StrayCat!
As for your question, for example, the builder denies to fix two items, and you don't agree. You can make an appointment with Tarion to inspect those items. You have to deposit about $300 I guess and you have about 1 month to think about it. You can cancel the appointment any time and get your money back. If you still want to go ahead, and if Tarion finds that at least one item has to be fixed, you will get $300 back. If Tarion agrees with the builder, you'll lose $300. If you still think it's not fair, you can go to court.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2011-03-24, 11:13 PM
StrayCat StrayCat is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Findlay Creek, Ottawa
Posts: 1,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor11 View Post
Thanks StrayCat!
As for your question, for example, the builder denies to fix two items, and you don't agree. You can make an appointment with Tarion to inspect those items. You have to deposit about $300 I guess and you have about 1 month to think about it. You can cancel the appointment any time and get your money back. If you still want to go ahead, and if Tarion finds that at least one item has to be fixed, you will get $300 back. If Tarion agrees with the builder, you'll lose $300. If you still think it's not fair, you can go to court.
Ah ok, gotcha! Thanks for the explanation! :-)
__________________
Tamarack Huntington
Findlay Creek
Closing: March 24th, 2010







Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013




Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2011-03-25, 10:12 AM
homie27 homie27 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC/Vancouver
Posts: 2,001
Default

i once went to tarion's site and saw there is a 2 year form. do people use this?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2011-03-25, 11:43 AM
Hometech Hometech is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
i once went to tarion's site and saw there is a 2 year form. do people use this?
Once you pass the first year you have to use the second year form and after the second there is only major structural.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2011-03-25, 11:53 AM
good2know's Avatar
good2know good2know is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,787
Default

here is what is covered second year>>

http://www.tarion.com/Warranty-Prote...-Warranty.aspx
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to report street light outages? htsource Burlington 1 2010-10-28 03:28 AM
First Year report to Tarion M&H Ottawa 5 2009-12-07 11:51 AM
How can I get a copy of my credit report? EBLAIR Financing, Mortgages and Insurance 0 2009-01-05 09:59 AM
Contacting Tarion for the Year-End Form since some items still not fixed? patrob Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 7 2008-05-28 12:33 PM
Mortgage on credit ratings report???? England Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane 8 2006-05-02 06:26 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.