Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-05-24, 09:03 PM
Regular User

Default Blue/Black Bins

For any/all of you who are moving into a home or have been buying blue/black bins; I thought this may be of interest.

Quote:
Get a blue or black box

Get a blue or black box or green bin at Canadian Tire stores.

If you are new to Ottawa or your boxes are missing or stolen, please call 3-1-1 for a coupon to redeem at any Canadian Tire store in Ottawa to get your boxes.
If you have damaged or broken recycling boxes or green bin, please call 3-1-1.
When returning a brokenor damaged green bin or recycling box to Canadian Tire, please ensure the container is completely empty of waste and properly cleaned out.
The City only supplies one blue and one black box and*one green bin*per household. Extra recycling boxes and green bins*can be purchased at Canadian Tire stores in Ottawa.
Approved containers
For more details on approved container sizes, visit the City’s Solid Waste By-law.

Permalink: http://ottawa.ca/e/CON059654
Loving it and would purchase another from Mattamy
Old 2012-05-24, 09:49 PM
Regular User

Thanks for posting.

Somebody ran over my green bin earlier this week. I called 3-1-1 and was told a city staff would come out and give me a new bin. It has been 3 business days and nobody has showed up yet.

I wonder whether I should bring the damaged bin to Canadian Tire and swap it with a new green bin instead?
Old 2012-05-24, 10:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S and H View Post
I wonder whether I should bring the damaged bin to Canadian Tire and swap it with a new green bin instead?
Great question, worth a try?
Old 2012-05-24, 10:59 PM
Regular User

They may exchange it but I doubt it. You can also e-mail 311@ottawa.ca and they reply within a day usually. I got my coupons in about 4 days from when they replied to my e-mail.

Old 2012-05-25, 09:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S and H View Post
Thanks for posting.

Somebody ran over my green bin earlier this week. I called 3-1-1 and was told a city staff would come out and give me a new bin. It has been 3 business days and nobody has showed up yet.

Call back. We had the same problem after the sidewalk plow ran over ours this winter. We called and were told that we'd get a green bin in a few days. When we called back a week later they had no history of our call, but sent a new bin the next day.
Old 2012-05-25, 02:49 PM
Regular User

For new homeowners who live in an appt building, i called today to get the coupons so that I can get all the necessary stuff the week that we are in but they said we had to be living in our new residence.

Just an FYI.
Old 2012-05-25, 09:28 PM
Regular User

Is the coupon for free bins or just a discount? If it is just a discount I'm inclined to bring our current bins with us when we move.
Old 2012-05-25, 10:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakview102 View Post
Is the coupon for free bins or just a discount? If it is just a discount I'm inclined to bring our current bins with us when we move.
No the coupon would give you the green bin for free. I do understand your point as the bin itself costs $40 + tax.

I wouldn't be too happy moving into a resale house and not seeing the recycling bins (black, blue, and green) in the garage. I don't think you are obliged to leave them behind but it's a nice gesture

Plus you can get a new green bin and start fresh i.e. why carry the smelly bin over to the new place?