Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-07-28, 07:03 PM
Regular User

Default How do I remove a stain from my Quartz counter?

I have a lovely Dupont Quartz countertop in Cygnus Pearl (cream with brown flecks) in my kitchen. I also have a tiny purple/greyish stain from red cabbage on said countertop (about 1/2 the diamerter of a dime).

I was told to use methyl hydrate to remove any stains by the counter installer and to absolutely avoid cleaners with bleach as they may discolor the quartz.

Does anyone know what methyl hydrate is, if it works and where I can find it?

I checked the Dupont website for care instructions and they suggest "Goo Gone®" for inks and markers. Has anyone tried this? I though Goo-Gone took off sticky things like price tags...
http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_U...diaq_care.html

Just wondering what options I have and what others have tried successfully.
Thanks for any advice!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3301.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	8800  
Old 2011-07-28, 07:19 PM
Regular User

The picture is just of the colour, not the stain ...
Old 2011-07-28, 07:34 PM
Regular User

I've used Vim with bleach on mine and works perfectly, but mine is white...
Old 2011-07-28, 07:35 PM
Regular User

I am really scared to make a suggestion and possibly make it worse, but I've heard of making a paste of water and baking soda and letting it sit.

Research first before you do that though, don't take my word for it!!
Old 2011-07-28, 08:02 PM
Regular User

The interwebs tells me that methyl hydrate is also known as methanol, and it's used as a paint thinner and as an anti-freeze additive in windshield washer.

It can be found at hardware stores (probably in the paint section).

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2011-07-28, 08:04 PM
Regular User

Methyl hydrate is alcohol, AKA Methanol.
You probably can substitute it with the any other alcohols, like Ethanol or Propanol.
Old 2011-07-28, 08:21 PM
Regular User

Thank you so much everyone, your help is much appreciated!!

Goo Gone did not do anything.

I'll see if I can find the Methyl Hydrate that was recommended, but either way I'll post back and let you know how it works out.

Cheers!
Old 2011-07-28, 08:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nJoy View Post
Thank you so much everyone, your help is much appreciated!!

Goo Gone did not do anything.

I'll see if I can find the Methyl Hydrate that was recommended, but either way I'll post back and let you know how it works out.

Cheers!
Goo Gone is horribly stinky and it stays lingering for a while, I hate that stuff especially if you get it on your finger. I thought Quartz never stained? But I do love love love your color, it would have been my choice had I not gone with granite.
Old 2011-07-28, 09:13 PM
Regular User

Here is some good information.

http://www.caesarstone.com/care_and_maintenace.aspx

http://www.countertopspecialty.com/q...top-stain.html ..this web site suggests a Hydrogen Peroxide/talc powder paste.

Last edited by nielboy; 2011-07-28 at 09:17 PM.
Old 2011-07-28, 10:23 PM
Regular User

I love, love, love my quartz counters. We chose quartz for several reasons but the main factor for me was a style reason. I don't love some of the natural variations and patterns in granite (which is the exact reason why some people love it!). The quartz option gave us an easy maintenance counter because it is something like 98% non-porus. I also like that I do not need a sealant to keep the original gloss.

Quartz is scratch-resistant, scorch-resistant and stain-resistant. That being said, it is not '-proof' so, we always use cutting boards, do not place any unfinished bowls/pans/plates directly onto the surface (like our Pizza Stone) and use the Ikea cork rounds underneath everything hot. However, these are things I did with my other counters as well. I learned the hard way because I placed a hot pot directly on our laminate countertop at our previous home and the seams popped and scorched and it sounded like gunfire in my kitchen. Guests were over and they have never stopped talking 'about that one time...'. Now I am always careful.

Generally we have had no problems with stains and we've had them for 4 months. Red wine, coffee, grape juice, blueberries have not left any stains. Generally the spills are wiped up right away, but the grape juice was a splash I missed and it wiped clean despite being left overnight. The red cabbage on the other hand sat stuck to the wet bottom of a glass on the counter overnight while my dishwasher was busy cleaning other dishes from a family get-together. I attached a photo so you can see the stain. (Picture is a little dark, but you get the idea).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stain.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	8803