Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2016-04-11, 02:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoof View Post
For sure. It is too big. We just want a basement to keep TV down there and away from the kitchen area/great room.

I am not sure where the $15k number came from however our budget is higher than that. I believe we have decided this home is too big and the Augusta is too small. Still on the hunt.
"I understand these questions are objective however I guess I want to know if $15k finishing is enough or if we would have to spend $60k to get a modern looking home that someone could walkthrough and say 'nice finishes'."

15k came from your above statement......

Old 2016-04-11, 11:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
For sure. It is too big. We just want a basement to keep TV down there and away from the kitchen area/great room.

I am not sure where the $15k number came from however our budget is higher than that. I believe we have decided this home is too big and the Augusta is too small. Still on the hunt.
There's a 700 square foot difference between the two. Is there not another Cardel model you like between the smallest and largest they offer in Blackstone?

Old 2016-04-11, 12:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:

The North Hampton seems to be a very popular choice in Blackstone and there are a lot of different floor plans and elevations to choose from (I.e. 3 bdrm vs 4 bdrm etc...). In fact Cardel is building one as an inventory home on Equine, which is a quieter street in Phase 1. It's currently priced about $40k below a resale North Hampton on Palfrey, also in Phase 1, and there may still be time to pick your finishes.
Old 2016-04-11, 12:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks all. We have been to Cardel sales office another few times going over things and options.

Our only concern with that home is if we will grow out of it and more importantly the garage dimensions. The Augusta is the only Cardel home with a small garage. It should be ok for 2 small cars but barely.

One other thing I should also point out is that we will be having the builder finish the basement with whatever home we buy so that adds to the start price for any home we buy.
I think you'll find once you move in, get settled and accumulate "stuff", that most Cardel homes with a double car garage will really only comfortably fit 1 car, unless you have 2 Smart cars. The only Cardel model with a very large garage is the Windemere.

I'm not sure why you are set with getting a basement finished by the builder right away if there is just 2 of you and you are looking at 3-4 bedroom houses with between 2000-2400 sq. ft on the first and second floors. Most of these homes have both "living" or great rooms on the first floor and also bonus rooms on the 2nd floor which are both good gathering spots for tv viewing.

Plus most builders do charge a premium for a finished basement vs. what a pro will charge you after you take possession. Who knows what you might want your basement to look like a few years down the line. But to each their own.
Old 2016-04-11, 12:35 PM
TheZoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnDude View Post
I think you'll find once you move in, get settled and accumulate "stuff", that most Cardel homes with a double car garage will really only comfortably fit 1 car, unless you have 2 Smart cars. The only Cardel model with a very large garage is the Windemere.

I'm not sure why you are set with getting a basement finished by the builder right away if there is just 2 of you and you are looking at 3-4 bedroom houses with between 2000-2400 sq. ft on the first and second floors. Most of these homes have both "living" or great rooms on the first floor and also bonus rooms on the 2nd floor which are both good gathering spots for tv viewing.

Plus most builders do charge a premium for a finished basement vs. what a pro will charge you after you take possession. Who knows what you might want your basement to look like a few years down the line. But to each their own.
Well the reason is that I owned and sold a single home in the last month. Unfortunately it didn't have a finished basement. I lived there for 5 years and didn't get it finished. If we do it right away then it is one less worry.

We want to have the basement for an audio/visual room and another entertaining room in the home. It is our number one priority after a 2 car garage. We definitely have considered finishing it after we move in via contractor however it would not be covered by the home builder if we did that.

IMHO nothing is worse than watching tv with 'tv sound' or a sound bar, and my gf feels adding clutter to the main living space is not an option for this home.

I know a lot of people can't relate however to us it is very important.
Old 2016-04-11, 01:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Well the reason is that I owned and sold a single home in the last month. Unfortunately it didn't have a finished basement. I lived there for 5 years and didn't get it finished. If we do it right away then it is one less worry.

We want to have the basement for an audio/visual room and another entertaining room in the home. It is our number one priority after a 2 car garage. We definitely have considered finishing it after we move in via contractor however it would not be covered by the home builder if we did that.

IMHO nothing is worse than watching tv with 'tv sound' or a sound bar, and my gf feels adding clutter to the main living space is not an option for this home.

I know a lot of people can't relate however to us it is very important.
I am a real estate salesperson in the area, if you are looking in the area for a Berkshire with a finished basement there is an amazing one on Baikun Heights, move in ready. There is also three other berkshire's on the market two of which just had a price drop. Would love to show them too you if you like.

As a former Berkshire owner, I came in on opening weekend, and there was some amazing deals, I tried to keep my upgrades to a minimum, I ended up paying just over $60,000, but $15,000 was lot premium. Finished basement and the time including open to below was $35,000.

Last edited by golden; 2016-04-11 at 01:49 PM.
Old 2016-04-11, 03:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
One thing I notice for Cardel is their garage space are larger than most(most models). Most home builders have 20x18 garage so it is nice to see a builder that has a bit more space.

I am sure we will have no problem fitting both our cars in those garages with proper planning(unless the floor plan measurements aren't accurate). 100% we will add a shed in the back yard, tire shelves, and other space saving ideas.

100% though you are right that you need to prioritize the car in the garage and place the 'stuff' elsewhere.
Id recommend joining "garagejournal" for ideas. There is lots you can do to keep a standard "optimistic 2 car" garage actually useful for 2 cars. 2 car garage was also a 100% must have for me us well.

To be frank, I think it is irresponsible that all the builders are selling so many 1 car garage houses. Makes the streets so full of parked cars.
Old 2016-04-11, 03:51 PM
TheZoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg View Post
Id recommend joining "garagejournal" for ideas. There is lots you can do to keep a standard "optimistic 2 car" garage actually useful for 2 cars. 2 car garage was also a 100% must have for me us well.

To be frank, I think it is irresponsible that all the builders are selling so many 1 car garage houses. Makes the streets so full of parked cars.
I agree 100%. My family home growing up had a 2 car garage... it was how they should be built. 2 cars, go kart, and a boat all in the same garage at one point.
Old 2016-04-11, 04:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thank you very much. That is the exact information I was curious about. So it cost you about 45k on upgrades.
$10,000 in kitchen, $10,000 covered porch, $7000 open to below, the rest was flooring, doors, spray foam. no granite. Approx price but that was 3 years ago, at the time I was told the average was $60,000 not including the lot. I wanted to keep costs down. I was really surprised at the costs of upgrades and how you can get carried away.
Old 2016-04-11, 04:48 PM
TheZoof

Interesting. Thanks for the clarity.

One question - the covered porch. They just use treated cedar for it so would it not have structural issues in about 5-7 years? I am surprised there is no option for a zero maintenance material.