Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-01-09, 10:51 PM

Default Larger garage

Shopping for a new home and one of my requirements is for a larger garage. We have 3 cars. Two daily cars and I have a summer car that I store in the winter. There are only two of us so we donít need a large home that is often associated with 3+ car garages. Most two car garages seem to be built for two 1990ís sized cars by the builders these days.

Does anybody know of a new home builder or has had success with specíing a larger garage? I mean widening and/or lengthening by a few feet here and there or even tacking on another stall.

When I asked at Minto and Mattamy I was flat out told no. They build exactly to plan with no flexibility in terms of structural/architectural changes.
Old 2019-01-09, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Unless the house design is already set for 3 cars you are probably not going to find a production builder who will add one on. That is a significant change for them, especially with how they already maximize the amount of space they can use on a lot.

3 car garages are usually found in higher end semi-custom homes or custom homes.
You will need to change where you are looking.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2019-01-10, 09:09 AM
Regular User

I've seen car lifts in certain houses (bungalows), so you can also look for garage height for a possible solution to your storage needs. I know a few Barrhaven Richcraft homes (from about 20years ago), that either had a floorplan where a den at the front of the house could be changed into an extra third garage (larger home), or a third garage was added to the standard home but the home was located on a bend in the road and on a pie shape lot that was wider at the front than the back. Can't imagine space for 3 cars would be very popular. If you find a lot you could do the addition yourself? Not sure what the street offset rules are, but maybe possible to build a tandem garage bay?
Old 2019-01-10, 10:12 AM
Regular User

I'm pretty sure HN Homes will do it. They are limited by zoning setbacks like any builder - so you will need to pick a model and pay for a larger lot size (e.g. 44' model on a 50' lot). As long as you were willing to pay, they seemed pretty willing to make structural changes. Though they will warn you if they think something will negatively effect the value of the home.

Check Bridlewood and Riverside South for examples.. extra garages, covered rear patios, extended covered front porches, room dimensions made larger, extra walls & windows etc.. One of the nice benefits of going with a smaller "tract" builder.
Old 2019-01-10, 10:16 AM
Regular User

I should add on - I've seen quite a few Urbandales with 3 car garages - but they are generally large homes to start with. I don't know how willing they are to add a 3rd garage spot to one of their smaller models.

Uniform might be another builder to check with.
Old 2019-01-10, 12:26 PM
Regular User

Call Tamarack, I know that they do widen garages, but at a steep cost.
Old 2019-01-10, 12:36 PM
Regular User

Let us know what you find, Houserer
Old 2019-01-10, 04:42 PM
Regular User

My parents were able to get Richcraft to widen their garage by 4 feet back in 2009 in Kanata Lakes. They bought a 50' model and were on a premium lot that was a little bigger than the standard size so zoning allowed for it.

My real estate agent bought a 44' model (the Foxden) on a 60' lot from Richcraft in 2008 in Stittsville and he added a 3rd garage bay. The 3rd garage bay was 45' deep because there was no house behind the 3rd garage bay, just empty land. He could park 4 cars in his garage.

Houses these days are built on postage size lots. You have 2600+sq houses on 35' x 105' lots these days. Houses are almost touching each other side by side and the backyard is barely 25 feet in depth.

Cardel does offer some unique designs that will allow you to have a huge bay area (not sure if its large enough to fit a 3rd car), at the expense of eating up square footage of living space inside the house. For example, check out the windemere model. Although I'm not sure if this model is still sold.

Cardel does offer this model which may be able to accommodate 3 cars. Keep in mind the 17'10" in pretty narrow to park two cars side by side.
https://www.cardelhomes.com/ottawa/c.../homes/nichols

Last edited by electricsky; 2019-01-10 at 04:51 PM.
Old 2019-01-10, 05:32 PM
Regular User

You need to be looking at site plans for oversized lots. Simply cannot add it without enough land to build it. This means, of course, that you will need to pay a premium for the lot and then pay to upgrade to the additional garage.

As others have pointed out, I have seen Richcraft homes with 3 car garages.

It's a challenge today as all builders have moved to smaller lots in general. Was common to see 60' lots with Richcraft just a few years ago. Don't see many now.

Just know that if you are able to find it, it will most likely cost quite an additional sum which is why sometimes it is only the larger square footage homes that have it.
Old 2019-01-10, 06:39 PM
Regular User

There are some new houses listed here that have three garages but they are not exactly in Ottawa.

https://www.ericfournier.org/Listings/page_2650243.html

I think Minto's Riverbend model had three garages but they wouldn't be new and I don't see it on their website. This one here used to be a model home in Orleans.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4496...7i13312!8i6656
Moved In: April 10th 2010