Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-03-02, 10:19 AM

Default Laws based on Aesthetics

This concerns restrictions on townhouse personal property usage for parking.

My daughter is moving in with us while she rebounds from a failed marriage. She will look for work and need a place of peace and quiet for some time and need to drive the kids to their current school. She has 2 school age children. She has a small car and so do we.

My wife and I purchased this 3 bedroom townhouse a couple years ago. It has the single garage and single width driveway. This makes this house one that is not being used to it's capacity and purchase value, as we don't use the extra 2 furnished bedrooms. The property also provides for 3 cars, if we consider the length of the driveway from the inside front of the garage to the curb, even allowing for centimeters of restriction at the road.

To have full value for what we paid for is to use this property to it's full capacity. The nature of the problem I am about to describe, was already evident at the time the building plan was submitted.

The problem is the city will not allow two cars to park lengthways on the single driveway, which is a silly rule if not laughable. One car needs to be in the garage and one outside.

This is a nonsense bylaw, and treads on democratic rights of property owners to use their possessions to the full capacity. There is no hindrance of the rights of any citizen in this case. The property in question was built to the approval of those very citizens.

Any owner who has his rights threatened in this way should legally press for expropriation of his property, and the payment by the city of it's full value. This is not an exception. The city does this has a norm when expropriating a commercial property when it deems it's present use not in conformance of it's new plans.

No reader here would purchase a new car and abide by a law that prevented use of the air conditioning, or restrict the use to only the driver,color,etc. or otherwise deliberately devalue the car.

This is not an inconvenience debate, we are witnessing the flagrant misuse of fundamental laws, which undermines the principles of this nation. We need to become participants and take more of an interest in what the city approves before they become law.
Old 2019-03-02, 12:53 PM
Regular User

I've never heard of this. It sounds like something specific to a condo.
Old 2019-03-02, 01:02 PM
Regular User

The city actually owns a good chunk of the front of your property, so if they have decided that a sidewalk should go in, then you cannot park on the sidewalk and therefore cannot put two cars in your driveway. When you were sold the townhouse they would have told you that you can have one car in the garage and one in the driveway.

That said, I think that the developers and the city must take another look at what they are creating. Most homes will have two vehicles, some will have three. The garages are very very small. Even with careful planning and storage, your SUV or full sized car may not even fit in the garage. This means people are parking wherever they can - on the street - in front of the house - across the front, wherever.

IMHO garages should be at least 12' wide and 20 ' long and there should be room for two cars before the sidewalk. As well, roads should be wider to allow for the occasional use of the road for parking without making it hazardous for everyone else.

The above suggestions would solve a lot of the problems I see, but it would affect the city's density numbers and the number of homes a developer sells.

As for your home, if you are not hanging over the road or onto a sidewalk, you are unlikely to have any issues.
Old 2019-03-02, 02:32 PM
Regular User

Ive never heard of this either. I know lots of people with cars parked end to end in the driveway.

Ive never heard of anyone having a problem. Parking across a sidewalk is different.
Old 2019-03-03, 09:08 AM
Regular User

Where I am ( In beautiful Milton Ontario ) there are similar bylaws for some corner lot homes where multiple cars in a driveway can obstruct traffic visibility.

And as mentioned, you likely do not own the frontage of your lot. On your front lawn you have the water shut off valve - In many cases that valve location also defines your property line.
Old 2019-03-03, 09:31 AM
Regular User

Unfortunately we don't have property rights in canada unlike the US.
Old 2019-03-03, 09:39 AM
Regular User

I know that you cannot block a sidewalk with a car. Anyone who has a sidewalk that runs either at the end of their driveway or through their driveway must keep the sidewalk clear at all times. This though isn't based on aesthetics, but a safety issue for pedestrians who use the sidewalks.
Old 2019-03-04, 12:29 PM
Regular User

I have never heard of this by-law (1 car in driveway, 1 in garage) in the city of Ottawa. Doing a google search does find a bylaw about this passed several years ago in Toronto. Is that where you may have heard about it?

Even though I know that the city "owns" several meters in from the road as an easement, I am sure as long as you are not blocking the road or blocks any site lines and your cars are completely within the confines of the driveway it would be fine and I am sure no one would complain. As you say, this is only temporary.
Old 2019-03-04, 01:22 PM
Regular User

as others said, you cant park across a sidewalk. I think you dont actually own that piece of land. also, in all fairness, people make a choice when they purchase a home knowing that there is a one car garage and lane way. it is not the city's fault or the builder's that your personal circumstances changed and your purchase no longer suits your needs.
Old 2019-03-04, 01:52 PM
Regular User

There is no evidence anywhere that the person cant park end to end when no sidewalk.

OP needs to tell us if there is a sidewalk.