Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-04-25, 10:19 PM
Regular User

Default Urbandale Singles - Kitchens

Hi, I am looking for any advice or lessons learned regarding your Urbandale kitchen (single homes) in terms of quality, price (what was worth upgrading vs. not), etc.

Would appreciate any insight.
Old 2019-04-26, 09:32 AM
Regular User

Hey there,

We just finished our design centre appointments in the last 6 months.

Can you give me an idea of what kinds of things you'd like to look at? What model you're building?

In my opinion, we found that the base quartz options were plenty, and it got quite expensive to upgrade the options. Extending the quartz is also quite expensive, if you're thinking of a waterfall island. My suggestion is to pick quartz last, and select one of the defaults that matches everything else.

We did most of our kitchen upgrades in the cabinets. We easily spent $5-10K on upgrading cabinets alone - expensive paints, designs, materials. Wood is an option - both maple and oak, get your cabinets done in wood. I really liked the Pearson cabinets - and getting them done in wood means that if there is any expansion or warping, you won't see it because how the grooves are shaped.

You can also customize the kitchen layout to your hearts content - delete, add cabinets, everything. Make sure you keep a copy of all your selections, so that if anything is wrong, you can show it.

Don't fall for fancy add-ons like a wine rack, garbage pull out, etc. There are tons of options for after-the-fact add-ons that will be significantly cheaper. For example, they charge $500ish for a garbage pull-out drawer. You can get a good one for under $200 at the home depot, and take 5 minutes to install it in a full-size cabinet.

Make sure you pull everything together - put the cabinets next to your floors, put them both next to your quartz, put them next to your handles, your backsplash, make sure everything looks good together.

My recommendation is to run your backsplash up the wall behind your hood fan - it's a great look. A little more costly, but well worth it. Make sure whatever backsplash you select is easy to clean and won't show oils. Think about what you cook and how it splatters - a metal backsplash will need a special cleaner to get the oils/mess off. A glass backsplash will also require special cleaners. In my opinion, if it's within your budget, look at their marble backsplashes (again, costly, but they wipe right off, and look awesome).

Don't add any additional lighting in the kitchen. There's a good balance of potlights and pendant lights already.

Don't be afraid to ask to customize. Urbandale is often open to customization.

Send me a PM if you want. I can see if I can pull together our upgrade list and share it with you.
Old 2019-04-26, 07:37 PM
Regular User

My budget is limited so I mainly did structural upgrades. I got a hood fan, raised the cabinets to the ceiling and added 2 piece crown. I upgraded the backsplash because I didn't like the standard selection. I also have backsplash up the wall behind the hoodfan from the stove to the ceiling. It costs me $250 and I think its worth it.

I agree with JCC about add-ons like garbage pull-out drawer. There is no reason to pay $500+ for that.

All in all, I find the cost to upgrade from standard to the next level (Package B) reasonable. I was upfront with the designer about my budget constraints and she wasn't pushy and gave me good advice about what's worth upgrading and what can wait.

Hope that helps!

Edited to add: Before the design centre appointments and also between appointments, I went to the design centre's Sunday open house quite often to look at things, pull things together in different combinations and made a list of what I like. By the time I met with the designer, I had a good idea of what I want and I wasn't overwhelmed with so many choices.

Last edited by mondler; 2019-04-26 at 07:58 PM.
Old 2019-04-26, 09:05 PM
Regular User

Thank you for your advice. I have to admit, we were going to go with the pull-out garbage drawer

Question: what attracted you guys to the chimney hood fan? It's funny, it's one of the one things I was curious about getting, but we don't NEED to get. Why is it so popular..is it better, or just for style?

I think we are going with painted MDF..painted wood is just so pricy, and we're considering spending on on other things too such as false doors around the island, and upgraded backsplash.

My main concern is overall quality. Was the kitchen put together well regardless of material picked?
Old 2019-04-26, 10:48 PM
Regular User

I didnt buy with urbandale but heres my two cents on upgardes... extending the backsplash behind the hoodfan is definitely worth every penny. As is extending the cabinets to the ceiling in my opinion.

I did add the garbage drawer and i love it. It was worth the money for me. Yes you can install something similar for cheaper but i like that the unit is attached to the door of the cabinet which pulls out as one unit. I imagine the ones you install later are a bracket that goes inside the cabinet and isnt attached to the door but i am not sure.

I also did the chimney hoodfan. I think its just for visual appeal. Its a matter of personal taste.

Also soft touch has been awesome to have. It was free for us but now that i have it id certainly pay for it in the future.
Old 2019-04-27, 11:42 AM
Regular User

I chose the chimney hoodfan because of how it looks. I am also probably overcompensing because the one I have right now doesn't really do anything and I like to cook.

As for the garbage drawer, I think it depends on where your priorities are. I see the appeal, but I just couldn't justify it for myself because of budget constraints.