Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2007-05-31, 02:26 PM
Regular User

Default landscaping

does anyone know if its still possible to do landscaping in the backyard. I know they say not to untill grading is approved, but can we still do one anyways? considering our grating sucks anyways i want to put a patio area in anyways so we can at least enjoy the usage of our backyard
moved in jan. 11 - 07
Old 2007-05-31, 02:29 PM
Regular User

you can do whatever you want, the issue is, if they have to regrade, not only you loose all the investment, but you pay for the removal too... in the odd case where regrading has to be done, you have to remove all your lanscaping yourself, especially hard stuff like rocks, patio stones or even worst, concrete... so, think about that...
on a happy not, and anybody feel free to contradict me, I have not heard of too many cases where they have to come back and regrade... it's a chance game...
Old 2007-05-31, 02:41 PM
Regular User

Plus, you won't get your deposit back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCE AND FRANCA View Post
does anyone know if its still possible to do landscaping in the backyard. I know they say not to untill grading is approved, but can we still do one anyways? considering our grating sucks anyways i want to put a patio area in anyways so we can at least enjoy the usage of our backyard
Old 2007-05-31, 03:04 PM
Regular User

what deposit?
moved in jan. 11 - 07
Old 2007-06-01, 01:45 PM
Regular User

Default Landscaping

Hi guys,

You can make flower beds, plant trees etc, providedyou dont change the grading of the property. It is not recommended that you make a patio with interlock as the property around the house has not fully settled and there is a risk that the stones you lay will drop if they are close to the house. We had Boumeister come to the house a couple of days ago to give us an estimate for a backyard patio and he recommended not to do the work until spring 2008. Putting down patio slabs yourself would not be an issue as the cost of same is quite low but there is still a chance (albeit minor) that you would have to lift the slabs if Mattamy is required to redo the grading. Mattamy has told us it is ok to do flower beds and install trees.
The installation of a deck is also ok as this would not normally involve a change in the grade of the property. Settling is also not an issue because the posts would go down about 4 feet.
Old 2007-06-01, 04:30 PM
Regular User

If our grading has not been signed off by the town, will you even be able to get the permits to do a deck if you require one?

----
*Decks in the rear yard, not attached to the dwelling and less than 10m2 (108 sq. ft.) in area, do not require a building permit. Decks larger than 10m2 (108 sq. ft.) and all decks more that 600 mm (2' - 0") above average grade do require a building permit.
----
2007...MOVED IN!

Last edited by miko1234; 2007-06-01 at 04:51 PM.
Old 2007-06-01, 05:14 PM
Regular User

Linda,

Just out of curiosity... how big is the space you want to make patio, what kind of patio? and how much was the quote for? I just want to get an idea of what I am in for.
Old 2007-06-03, 07:45 PM

Question Mattamy flower party

I remember that Mattamy mentioned a while back that they would have a flower party- where you could get garden flowers and shubs for your garden.

Does anyone know when that is going to happen?
Old 2007-06-03, 09:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHILLER5 View Post
I remember that Mattamy mentioned a while back that they would have a flower party- where you could get garden flowers and shubs for your garden.

Does anyone know when that is going to happen?
My guess would be that this would be after all of the sod is complete.
2007...MOVED IN!
Old 2007-06-04, 02:04 PM
Regular User

Default Landscaping - patio

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetownsend74 View Post
Linda,

Just out of curiosity... how big is the space you want to make patio, what kind of patio? and how much was the quote for? I just want to get an idea of what I am in for.
It's for about 400 square feet , a couple of areas with steps - interlocking - about $7,000. We are getting 3 other quotes as well.