Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-06-14, 08:23 AM
Regular User

Question Looking for DW installer and Garage Door openner Installer

Hi everyone,

Just wanted some input as to if anyone has any recommendations for:

Dishwasher installer + Garage Door installer

I am currently looking at booking someone to do these.

thanks for your recommendations. I have just gotten a couple of quotes but am looking for suggestions.
Old 2007-06-14, 08:53 AM
Regular User

If you're just a tiny bit handy, you could install both of these yourselves and be sure that they are installed properly. I've never really trusted contractors and installers, there are not that many out there.

Both of these installations will take you no more than a day in total if you don't know what you're doing and have to read through all the instructions.
Old 2007-06-14, 09:23 AM
Regular User

Here's a nice tutorial with clear illustrations on how to install garage door openers

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35720629

and here's a basic one for dishwasher

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-a-New-Dishwasher

Worst-case scenario, you can always contact the people who sell you dishwashers and garage door openers, I am sure they have installation services as well.

Do let us know the cost if you decide to have somebody else do it.
Old 2007-06-14, 09:33 AM
Regular User

Home Depot charges about $115 for garage door installation, I think Sears was right around there too.

Go ahead and get some quotes.. but I recommend not actually booking anyone until you actually close. You never know, it might become unnecessary (E.g. I thought I was going to hire someone to do my dishwasher installation too, but Mattamy ended up doing it for me.)

Last edited by GreyingJay; 2007-06-14 at 09:36 AM.
Old 2007-06-14, 09:41 AM
Regular User

And if you don't want to do your own garage door reinforcement brackets using angle iron and other stuff, just go to the door company on colonnade and buy the premade brackets for 15$... (and ignore their scare tactics that if you install the opener yourself, your warranty will be void, the door will rust, your house will burn down, ...)
Old 2007-06-14, 09:46 AM
Regular User

Heh. Spoken like a man who's been there.

Definitely make sure the guy who installs the door knows to reinforce it with angle iron. Seems obvious enough -- especially since my door came with a huge sticker that essentially said "WARNING YOU MUST REINFORCE THE DOOR IF YOU INSTALL A GARAGE DOOR OPENER!". But funnily enough, my parents had their garage door openers "professionally" installed by Sears, and I see no reinforcement whatsoever on either of the two garage doors. 6 years later they're still going strong, though. Maybe it's invisible angle iron.

So don't assume they all know what they're doing.
Old 2007-06-14, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Depends on the type of door.

If it has windows along the top row then you may need some re-enforcement horizontally. Very simple to do with a 6' piece of angle iron lag-bolted across the top of the door.

This will help distribute the force of the opener pulling/pushing on the centre of the door across more of the door.

The cheap paper doors that Mattamy and some other builders use do not require this as the doors are so light and have a horizontal piece of steel at the top and a verticle piece of wood in the centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
Heh. Spoken like a man who's been there.

Definitely make sure the guy who installs the door knows to reinforce it with angle iron. Seems obvious enough -- especially since my door came with a huge sticker that essentially said "WARNING YOU MUST REINFORCE THE DOOR IF YOU INSTALL A GARAGE DOOR OPENER!". But funnily enough, my parents had their garage door openers "professionally" installed by Sears, and I see no reinforcement whatsoever on either of the two garage doors. 6 years later they're still going strong, though. Maybe it's invisible angle iron.

For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-06-14, 09:57 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
Which is why I'd rather install things myself...

Your dishwasher for example, what if the guy cut corners and did not put teflon tapes on the fittings... or bend a pipe too much while pushing hard on the dishwasher because it wouldn't fit properly. Maybe it's slowly dripping and going in the wall if the floor isn't leveled... <cue suspense music>
Old 2007-06-14, 10:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
Maybe it's slowly dripping and going in the wall if the floor isn't leveled... <cue suspense music>
You are a baaaaaad man.
Old 2007-06-14, 12:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikejon View Post
You are a baaaaaad man.
No, what mart doesn't realize is he's got it exactly backwards... if *I* was the one who installed my own dishwasher, I'd be kept up at night wondering if it was dripping into the floor.