Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2007-06-17, 12:35 AM
Regular User

Default 2 1/4 versus 3 1/4 hardwood plank - which one would you choose?

Hi all,

Me and my wife we're pretty split on what hardwood to get. Strangely we both agree on the color and that is hould me maple, but she likes the 3 1/4 planks and I like the 2 1/4 ones.

My reasoning is that the 2 1/4 ones look more stilish, more modern, the 3.1/4 looks like a old floor and that the 3 1/4 one would be more suitable for oak and the 2 1/4 one looks better on maple which, espceially when stained, is more uniform.

My wife thimks the 2 1/4 on stainde maple gives the impresion of "bumps" of "waves" in the foor.

We would really like to hear some opinions on 2 1/4 vs 3 1/4 with respect to durability, look, re-sale etc. as we find people on this forum have a lot of good ideas and are very knoledgable.

Thanks.
Old 2007-06-17, 01:47 AM
Regular User

I have to agree with your wife the small planks can look "wavy", but that's just a matter of taste. It does seem like having wide-plank hardwood floors is often listed as a selling point, so in terms of resale the 3 1/4 might be better. At least you agree on most points, you're doing better than me and my husband!
Old 2007-06-17, 08:22 AM
Regular User

When we were picking out our hardwood we had the same problem . The 2 1/4 was cheaper so we were going to do that. Once we really started talking about it we both like the 3 1/4 way better. My comment about the 2 1/4 was also that it was bumpy and wavy, the wider pieces seem more smooth.
Old 2007-06-17, 08:44 AM
Regular User

I chose 3 1/4" planks, and had them done on a 45 degree angle. Each was only an incremental upgrade cost (a couple hundred extra for 3 1/4" planks over 2 1/4", a couple hundred more for 45 degrees) and I think it looks pretty nice. My floors are a gunstock colored oak.
Old 2007-06-17, 10:40 AM
Regular User

We are actually doing ours on a 45 as well. GreyingJay we are still waiting for more pics!!!
Old 2007-06-17, 01:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherin View Post
I have to agree with your wife the small planks can look "wavy", but that's just a matter of taste. It does seem like having wide-plank hardwood floors is often listed as a selling point, so in terms of resale the 3 1/4 might be better. At least you agree on most points, you're doing better than me and my husband!
Agree with you, 3 1/4 is better for resale, we had the option to go with that and pay the same price as 2 1/4. A no brainer for us, we went with the *coffee* look.
Old 2007-06-17, 02:01 PM
Regular User

I find the smaller planks very busy looking - almost distracting. The current trend is towards the wider planks so the smaller ones may look dated sooner.

HL
Old 2007-06-17, 02:33 PM
Regular User

On the topic of hardwood, has anyone had experience with cat hair and hardwood? I've heard that a dark stained hardwood (such as cherry) is a nightmare in regards to pet hair and its nearly impossbile to get it looking clean. We are probably going to go with cinnamon 31/2" hardwood. Any thought?

Queencliffe Corner Elevation B
Mattamy Fairwainds Phase One
Old 2007-06-17, 04:43 PM
Regular User

Yes - I think that a darker floor will show more dust and hair than a lighter one - but with one cat I don't really see a darker floor being a problem (two giant sheading dogs maybe ). In general all hardwood is super easy to maintain - a quick "swiffer" and it will look perfect no mater what colour you choose.
Old 2007-06-17, 10:34 PM
Regular User

Why not settle in the middle and get 3"?

2 1/4" is not that popular nowadays and most flooring manufactures produce 3 1/4". We went with Satin Finish and they do not manufacture 3 1/4, only 3". I had 3 1/4" in my last home and most people wouldn't see the difference walking into this home unless I told them.

As far as cleaning the floor, we went with a dark finish and my wife walks barefoot in the summer so there's always foot prints on the floor. Dust and hair is very noticeable on the darker finishes. Cleaning it is not too hard but you basically need to do it every 3-4 days. (vacuum then well wrung out micro fiber cloth and warm water). Once a month or so use hardwood floor cleaner.