Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2008-06-04, 01:14 AM
Regular User

Default Questions about an early closing/possession date

We signed a contract in March and set a closing date of October 27th, 2008. However, we've been monitoring the progress of our home when they started building in mid-april and they're already done the roof!

There are still 4 months left til closing. But judging from the "Building Order" article here it appears we're almost halfway done. Am I right to assume that they could be done sooner than October or do the steps after roofing take a lot longer? Based on experiences, do builders tend to hand you the keys when the house is done earlier than your agreed possession date? I'm assuming that they'll want to get paid ASAP for the house. Are there any other consequences to getting a house earlier other than paying mortgages and bills a lot sooner? =P
Old 2008-06-04, 09:57 AM
Regular User

Check your contract, it will say if they can force an early closing on you. I don't think any builder should be able to do this. It should take about 6 months to build so if they started in April you should be fine. A house can be framed fairly quickly but there is still quite a bit of work to do after. Twice now our houses were completed before our possession date but we still closed on the original date we signed for. If they're rushing to get your money I'd be worried!