Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2008-06-12, 09:54 PM
Regular User

Default Platform deck or Interlock Patio ?

Hello folks, we are looking to do some landscaping in our backyard and we are somewhat torn between 2 options: platform deck with no railings (please see picture) and interlock patio.

I did a search on this forum for previous threads about platform deck and didn't see anything. Just wondering if any of you guys here have platform deck for your house and if you can chime in with respect to styles, designs, costs and overall value.

We are looking to work on an area of about 19 feet wide and 15 feet long, so not that big, just enough space for a BBQ and some patio furniture. Initially, we were drawn to interlock patio but our primary concern is cost and i do believe platform deck is substantially cheaper than interlock. We don't plan to stay at this place for long and subsequently do not want to spend more than we have to. It would be nice to get the interlock, no doubt about it. We got quotes ranging from $4K to $7K and definitely less if we were to do it by ourselves which is something that we are exploring.

Right now I am somewhat attracted to the platform deck because of the cost and because of the flexibilities (i.e. we can put some wooden bench along the side instead of railings, maybe some planters here and there, even a few steps) It will also blend in with our fence as well.

So any thumbs up for a platform deck or should we simply up the ante and get interlock done ?

Thanks

Old 2008-06-13, 12:36 AM
Regular User

i'm personally a patio fan... have you considered doing a combination of both?
i just completed a 21'x17' patio using precast concrete stone tiles (3 different sizes in running bond pattern - http://www.stone-link.com/tuscan_limestone.html) that cost just over $4/sqft. on sale. Total cost of the DIY including all materials (stone, aggregate, edging, bin rental, etc.) was about ~3k. Whatever you decide, I say definitely make it a DIY project. good luck!
Old 2008-06-13, 09:37 AM
Regular User

we did a deck - low to the ground, though not as low as in that picture. I like decks, but there is the maintenance aspect to it. We put up a gazebo and its 13x18. A friend and I built it (he does this for a livign) so its solid and well built and the finishsing is excellent. here's a pic just after its done. lots of landscaping, gazebo, etc, done around it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02764_small.JPG
Views:	1252
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	2157  
Old 2008-06-13, 10:19 AM
Regular User

I personally like decks better. It's not because of cost...I just like being off the ground a bit.
Old 2008-06-13, 10:24 AM
Regular User

If you aren't planning on staying long I wouldn't spend lots of money, as you probably wouldn't recoup it when you sell. A deck would be cheaper and still looks good for re-sale.
Old 2008-06-13, 10:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Total cost of the DIY including all materials (stone, aggregate, edging, bin rental, etc.) was about ~3k. Whatever you decide, I say definitely make it a DIY project. good luck!
I had a deck before, now a patio. I prefer the patio: pretty much maintenance free and it's' leveled with the grass around it so kids don't trip, ..

DIY is debatable.. it's a lot of work if you want something that lasts. For a proper patio, here's what should be done:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prebbel.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	2158  
Old 2008-06-13, 01:30 PM
Regular User

if DIY means by yourself, then yes.. it is debatable... but i did mine in about 2 weekends with about 4 or 5 buddies... and yes, i did it properly... exact same as that checklist except i used high-performance bedding rather than the traditional gravel/sand method.
Old 2008-06-15, 11:07 PM
Regular User

In your case, I guess it all depends on the look you prefer & your grading. I think that if you are fairly low to the ground, a nice flat surface like interlock looks nice. If you have a few steps, a deck will be better & more convenient. But then you will be higher off the ground & you will be able to see all your neighbours around above the fence & they will see you So if you like your privacy, would go with the lower option.

In our situation, we have a walk-out so we need both a large deck & interlock patio underneath So double the expense that I never thought of when having a walk-out basement but I would still not trade it for anything
Old 2008-06-16, 12:15 AM
Regular User

^^ good points.. if there's a big drop from your patio door, please step the deck down and don't go straight out at that level (consider bylaws for height) and respect for neighbours' privacy). attached are a few pics of my patio:

if you decide to go DIY and need to excavate, consider renting a Dingo:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-services-...QAdIdZ51037722
Old 2008-06-16, 12:35 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
^^ good points.. if there's a big drop from your patio door, please step the deck down and don't go straight out at that level (consider bylaws for height) and respect for neighbours' privacy).
Thanks, I went through having an elevated deck in my first house, so I know all about the lack of privacy And the only way to get some is to add a lot of trees, shrubs, extra lattice with climbing vines & no more neighbours to look at

BTW, I really like your large patio stones, where did you get those? Are those made by StoneLink by any chance... I wish my deck/patio was already finished I guess I am just happy we have grass since October