Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-09-16, 12:18 PM
Regular User

Default Mattamy - Fern Water town home model question

Just wondering if you know any Fern Water town home that is being built in the Kanata area that has at least the frame finished?

I am interesting in buying Fern Water town house but it would be nicer to be able to take a look at the house before putting down hundreds of thousands to buy that model.

If you already moved into the house? Could you send me a few pictures of the house?

Thanks!
Old 2008-09-16, 12:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by testinz View Post
Just wondering if you know any Fern Water town home that is being built in the Kanata area that has at least the frame finished?

If you already moved into the house? Could you send me a few pictures of the house?
I'm closing my Fernwater on October 8th. If you want to send me a PM at a later date, you can come by to see it. I know there is one already built in Phase 1 or 2.

My PDI should be around the end of September, so I'll have completed pics then but I'll post some of the construction pictures tonight. Here is a link for pics of the same model (different name):
http://www.hawthornevillager.com/php...r=asc&start=45

Old 2008-09-16, 01:20 PM
Regular User

I went to the link. Nice house. I wonder why they put the pink insulation on the townhouses in Hawthorne but they won't do it here. The Energy star package is only for singlehomes. I was told even if they did the whole block of townhouses it would not matter. I just find it funny that they allow it in that development. Aren't our winters worse?
Old 2008-09-16, 02:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stittsville123 View Post
I went to the link. Nice house. I wonder why they put the pink insulation on the townhouses in Hawthorne but they won't do it here. The Energy star package is only for singlehomes. I was told even if they did the whole block of townhouses it would not matter. I just find it funny that they allow it in that development. Aren't our winters worse?
Each area has different min standards based on the market. For example, in Brampton, it is quite common to see brick houses as a standard.

It would be nice if the energy star package was offered. You should send in a request. It may not be made available to you, but if enough people ask, it may become something they offer in the future.

I could see in the future that most houses would come standard with the rigid foam on the outside wall - as more and more people become "green conscious"
Old 2008-09-16, 02:08 PM
Regular User

we did request it and were told it was a waste of money. That is why I am surprised that the same company does this elsewhere
Old 2008-09-16, 04:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by testinz View Post
I was pretty fortunate in that I was walking around Fairwinds to take a look at the exterior of the Fernwater and came across a nice couple who were just returning home. I approached them and asked them a few questions about how they like their home, their buying experience, etc. After chatting for a few minutes, they invited me into their home to take a look around. After seeing it first hand, I was sold. I wish I could remember their names but if they're reading this, thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernwater end View Post
I'm closing my Fernwater on October 8th. If you want to send me a PM at a later date, you can come by to see it. I know there is one already built in Phase 1 or 2.

My PDI should be around the end of September, so I'll have completed pics then but I'll post some of the construction pictures tonight. Here is a link for pics of the same model (different name):
http://www.hawthornevillager.com/php...r=asc&start=45
I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. Please take lots.

Thanks for that link to the Hillsview. Nice to see pics.

Close date: July 16, 2009
Old 2008-09-16, 07:55 PM
Regular User

Here are some pics from July/August...1. Exterior 2. Great Room 3. Kitchen 3. Great Room/Fireplace 5. Dining Room
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1604.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2923   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1661.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	2924   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1662.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2925   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1663.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	2926   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1665.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2927  

Last edited by fernwater end; 2008-09-16 at 07:59 PM.
Old 2008-09-16, 09:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernwater end View Post
Here are some pics from July/August...1. Exterior 2. Great Room 3. Kitchen 3. Great Room/Fireplace 5. Dining Room
That's great. Thanks. I bet you're getting excited with it being so close to being finished.

If you don't mind sharing, what upgrades did you go with? I've got a spreadsheet going with all the upgrades I'm considering and it's adding up fast! I'm really curious what you added during the structural design phase (e.g. potlights, electrical, etc). Are the holes in the ceiling in your pictures where you are putting potlights?

Close date: July 16, 2009

Last edited by Fernwater@HMB; 2008-09-16 at 09:48 PM.
Old 2008-09-16, 10:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernwater@HMB View Post
If you don't mind sharing, what upgrades did you go with? I've got a spreadsheet going with all the upgrades I'm considering and it's adding up fast! I'm really curious what you added during the structural design phase (e.g. potlights, electrical, etc). Are the holes in the ceiling in your pictures where you are putting potlights?
Yeah I'm getting really excited! When I went out to visit last week, everything was complete except the kitchen. The cabinets were installed and they were working on the countertops. They even started some patch work as well. Overall, I'm happy with all my selections.

Here are all my upgrades:
- 8 potlights w/ dimmer switch (great room - 2 on each side ~ holes in the roof)
- ceiling fan w/o light (great room)
- modern fireplace & conduit above
- extra light w/ switch (pendant light above the kitchen sink)
- raised breakfast bar
- fireplace & fan kit
- raised showerhead (ensuite shower)
- waterline to fridge
- hardwood (dining & great room, kitchen)
- ceramic tiles (foyer, powder room)
- rec ready basement ~ larger windows (see pic) & rough-in bathroom
- cable outlets - beside fireplace (great room), master bedroom, bedroom 3
- phone outlets - kitchen, great room, master bedroom, bedroom 3
- shower light in the ensuite is included
- 2 potlights beside the dining room window
I'll be adding an A/C, programmable thermostat & shut off valves after my closing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1619.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2928  

Last edited by fernwater end; 2008-09-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 2008-09-17, 11:08 AM
Regular User

Thanks everyone for the information.

We actually walk into one of the house being built yesterday and it is definitely very similar to the Hills model posted in the second post.

The location is Kanata is very nice also. Easy access to the Sens & Soccer stadiums