Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-11-23, 10:47 PM
Regular User

Default We sold our house in 2 weeks

I never had any experience of selling a house since this house is my first one. But, it is really a stressful time. Between the showings (we had few) and open house (we did one). Then the inspection and negotiations.

We listed on MLS on Monday and we had our first showing on the same day at 6:30pm. Then the same couple came later on Thursday. But, they did not give any offer.

Then we had an open house on Sunday where 9 came and 4 were really interested, but one called our sales agent that he wants to put an offer. He gave us his first offer on Wednesday. We started through our sales agent a round of VERBAL negotiations and finally we reached to an agreement on Thursday night. The price was close to what we had in mind as a range, around 96.5% from the list price.

We had the house inspection on Saturday and this is another stressful time. We had to leave the house for 4.5 hours with the kids having home-works.

I just got a call from my real estate agent confirming that he signed on all the waivers and asked me to turn the sign that would show SOLD. It was great feeling.

Also, today we signed on the final piece of the puzzle for our new house related to color selections. What a nice day.

Key lessons learned:

- Have a good sales agent is very important. Who knows your area very well, good web site to present your property.
- Our sales agent assigned a stager to organize our house. Even our house is not crowded, removing few items showed that house much bigger (our house is 1800 sq ft).
- The photographer did a great job showing the house. The pictures on MLS were great. I will attach few. He took his time. More than 40 pictures to come with 20 that he liked.
- Fix all what you can before the listing. You don't know when you will get the first showing.
- Pack all what you don't need. Get red of any items that you don't need. We remove lots of stuff from the basement, salvation army and clothing box near Loeb took lots of not needed stuff.
- Keep the house clean and organized all the time. You don't know when you will get a call for a showing. We did a showing at 8:30 in the morning. This was the hardest one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	712356_1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	3390   Click image for larger version

Name:	712356_2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	3391   Click image for larger version

Name:	712356_3.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	3392   Click image for larger version

Name:	712356_4.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	3393  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Other pictures.jpg (15.4 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by M&H; 2008-11-24 at 05:33 AM.
Old 2008-11-24, 12:16 AM
Regular User

Just one thing to add to all this very good advice - if possible move out for a few days or go on vacation. Your house will show better and you will be so much more relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&H View Post
I never had any experience of selling a house since this house is my first one. But, it is really a stressful time. Between the showings (we had few) and open house (we did one). Then the inspection and negotiations.

We listed on MLS on Monday and we had our first showing on the same day at 6:30pm. Then the same couple came later on Thursday. But, they did not give any offer.

Then we had an open house on Sunday where 9 came and 4 were really interested, but one called our sales agent that he wants to put an offer. He gave us his first offer on Wednesday. We started through our sales agent a round of VERBAL negotiations and finally we reached to an agreement on Thursday night. The price was close to what we had in mind as a range, around 96.5% from the list price.

We had the house inspection on Saturday and this is another stressful time. We had to leave the house for 4.5 hours with the kids having home-works.

I just got a call from my real estate agent confirming that he signed on all the waivers and asked me to turn the sign that would show SOLD. It was great feeling.

Also, today we signed on the final piece of the puzzle for our new house related to color selections. What a nice day.

Key lessons learned:

- Have a good sales agent is very important.
- We were offered a stager to organize our house. Even our house is not crowded, removing few items showed that house my bigger (our house is 1800 sq ft).
- The photographer did a great job showing the house. The pictures on MLS were great. I will attach few.
- Fix all what you can before the listing
- Pack all what you don't need. Get red of any items that you don't need. We remove lots of stuff from the basement, salvation army and clothing box near Loeb took lots of not needed stuff.
- Keep the house clean and organized all the time. You don't know when you will get a call for a showing. We did a showing at 8:30 in the morning. This was the hardest one.
Old 2008-11-24, 08:59 AM
Regular User

That sounds so familiar!

We had our house up (in Barrhaven, about a 20 yr old house) for about 2 weeks late spring.

Great Real estate agent (very important to get the right price for the house), home stager, completely cleaned up house, got rid of junk, did a few upgrades. (for example even small things help - changing all electrical faceplates, outlets to white)

Lots of showings those 2 weeks so wife was constantly cleaning and getting kids out!

Got 2 great offers same day, picked the one that was a bit higher (duh!). Both were more than what we were asking for....and the kicker was that the one we went with there were no conditions....no home inspection required...once we signed it was a done deal...
Old 2008-11-24, 09:08 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesa View Post
Just one thing to add to all this very good advice - if possible move out for a few days or go on vacation. Your house will show better and you will be so much more relaxed.
We did this and it worked out great especially since we had a seven month old at the time. We listed our house the day day before we knew we'd be gone for a week visiting relatives. When we got back our house was sold! During that time there were a bunch of showings and an open house. All we had to do was answer some phone calls now and then when offers came in.

Obviously this won't work for everyone but for us it was way less stressful.
Old 2008-11-24, 10:03 AM
Regular User

How much do you spend on staging expenses? (e.g. changing out faceplates, painting)
Old 2008-11-24, 10:24 AM
Regular User

Our stager normally charges $3000 which includes full consultationa and rental of furniture and accessories. You will probably need a storage unit to house all of your stuff that the stager wants you to get rid of temprorarily (this cost us $300) We spent another $500 on upgrades like changing hardward on cabinetary, door handles and drapes, light fixtures (not too bad all in all) - so our "out of pocket" costs were $800.

So the stager's fee was worked into the commission and paid for directly by my real estate agent who charged my a total of 4.75% commission.
This may sound unreasonable to some people but honestly we sold our house in 5 days and got 5 offers. Yes, the market was different in May but i think the fundamentals are still the same and what buyers are looking for are still the same.
Old 2008-11-24, 10:55 AM
Regular User

Same here. A 3 hour staging consultation was paid for by our agent.

Our costs were next to nothing. The stager's only recommendations to us were to move a chair from one wall to another or to remove a coffee table completely so that the room seems bigger.
Old 2008-11-24, 01:03 PM
Regular User

The only thing we were asked to change were kitchen cabinets door handles. Total cost was $130. The cost for the stager was paid by our agent. Our furniture is brand new (less than 1 year).