Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-01-08, 12:38 AM
Regular User

Here's the pics.

Pic #1 - The builders drop furthest away from the garage. I started here.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...s/IMG_1619.jpg

Pic #2 - I added an inlet in the basement so this shows the pipe coming up and joining the line that runs to the next drop and eventually out.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...s/IMG_1628.jpg

Pic #3 - 2nd builders drop. After this it goes out to the garage where I added another inlet then into the machine.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...s/IMG_1620.jpg
Old 2009-01-08, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Thing to note in picture 2.. The sweep T shouldn't point down like that. What happens is heavy dirt and crap ends up going down when dragged across it and collecting in the pipe/inlet below it. Then you get calls asking why that one inlet always drops junk when you open its door
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-01-08, 10:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Thing to note in picture 2.. The sweep T shouldn't point down like that. What happens is heavy dirt and crap ends up going down when dragged across it and collecting in the pipe/inlet below it. Then you get calls asking why that one inlet always drops junk when you open its door
i can confirm this - i had someone else install mine and they put one tee facing down that led to a sweep pan (in the basement - for the kitty litter) and occasionally i get some small pebbles rattling around in there. usually it gets sucked away when i open up the sweep pan, but i've had to fish stuff out once or twice.
Old 2009-01-08, 02:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Hey Greg. So what's the alternative connection method from the basement ceiling down to the inlet?

btw...this was installed as a temp inlet. When the basement is finished it will be removed and likely relocated. I want to make sure I know how to do it properly for the finished basement.
Old 2009-01-08, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Horizontal the T and use three 90s to get it up and around.

There are other creative solutions, such as use a V-tee, 45 and a 90 and another 45 to bring it underneath a little tighter.

Just gotta remember you are fighting gravity and the homeowners ability to want to try and suck up anything

Old 2009-01-09, 11:08 AM
Regular User

Mark, thanks for the detailed picture and explanation!

Greg, thanks for the shopping list ... will give this a try myself and see how it goes. Do you have a rough estimate on how much it will cost for someone to complete the pipe/wiring installation for me? I might go this route if I get frustrated
Old 2009-01-09, 04:06 PM
Administrator

I charge between $180 and $220 depending on what needs to be done.

Old 2009-05-03, 05:24 PM
Regular User

So I am not sure if there is the answer to the question, if there is I am a little confused.

I have what the OP has roughly. I have 2 separate white wire sticking out into my garage, each of which contains a red, green, yellow, and black. The central vac has to plugins (like a speaker).

So what goes into the "speaker-like" plugins? Do I connect 2 reds and 2 greens and group them into 1 and then the 2 greens and 2 yellows into the other?

All my piping is right, as I paid the upgrade. For something that seemed so simple to install, this is the only thing left to do and I can't get it right.
Old 2009-05-03, 07:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevstevd View Post
So what goes into the "speaker-like" plugins? Do I connect 2 reds and 2 greens and group them into 1 and then the 2 greens and 2 yellows into the other?
From each drop - red/green tied together, yellow/black tied together.

Doesn't really matter which colours you choose to tie together, as long as your are consistent.
Old 2009-05-03, 08:11 PM
Regular User

I've figured it all out by basically opening up my central vac outlets and realizing they actually never connected them at all. So after messing around I found that they did connect the island dust scoop outlet and opening it up I saw they only connect black and red.

Basically all I need to do is open up all my other outlets, connect black and red and then what happens in the garage is that the two wires that came out were assigned as follows:

1 was on its own to an outlet upstairs. The other split into 3 and went one by one into the other outlets in our house.

I don't know if this helps anyone else, I am sure the OP figured it out by now...But if anyone else has the problem, try to look in the basement and see where each wire goes to and if they are actually connected to the outlets. Our builder didn't.