Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-05-08, 12:36 PM
Regular User

Default Fiber-to-the-Home - Available in which areas?

I have heard rumours of several areas piloting projects of pulling fiber to the home, where Rogers splices a pair of single mode into their local loop, and terminates it to a demarc box in your basement. From there, they are positioning themselves to be able to install multiplexing equipment for Internet, high-def TV, phone, and multimedia services.

This is an amazing, but extremely costly idea... Just wondering which builders/developments offer this as standard? I heard of a few developments in Kanata/Carp coming out with this.
Old 2009-05-08, 12:54 PM
Regular User

I wish Ottawa had this (please let me know if they do, as it is my understanding that they don't yet). I am living in the D.C. area right now and we have fiber to our door. I am sooooo going to miss it when we move home to Ottawa in Aug.
Old 2009-05-08, 01:09 PM
Regular User

http://www.techmediareports.ca/repor...nt_hits_a_snag
Old 2009-05-08, 01:59 PM
Regular User

I could only wish that this will be available at some point, unfortunately I think it'll be a while...
Old 2009-05-08, 02:56 PM
Regular User

Pretty sure we are getting this in SoHoWest

"An ultra-fast and dedicated fibre optic connection from Rogers, delivering Canada's fastest Internet, most robust HD TV, and feature-rich home phone service."

http://sohowest.ca

This would include Tartan, Valecraft and Monarch
Happy to be at home!
Old 2009-05-08, 04:11 PM
Regular User

Yes, Soho West has this. It also comes with a year of free HD cable, Internet and home phone service from Rogers...

I should add, we are still capped out at the highest available service that is available right now to everyone...Rogers doesn't support the kind of speed we *could* get through a direct fibre. But when they do, we'll have the fibre. SoHo uses the term "futureproofing" to discuss this...

This is a bit from the site:
Each home in sohowest is built as a Smarter Home that is a futureproof investment which improves your quality of life and embraces the very best in home entertainment, home office and home automation technology. All sohowest Smarter Homes include the following standard features:

A whole home network with ample wired & wireless coverage to easily and securely connect all your devices to each other and to the Internet.
An ultra-fast and dedicated fibre optic connection from Rogers, delivering Canada's fastest Internet, most robust HD TV, and feature-rich home phone service.
A turnkey setup, where day-to-day technology needs are simplified & supported to seamlessly contribute to your quality of life.

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...

Last edited by noordinaryotter; 2009-05-08 at 04:30 PM.
Old 2009-07-15, 01:50 AM
Regular User

Little confused, I guess I thought the internet was going to be faster then the normal Extreme Speed offered by Rogers. Is that correct? Or will have some other better benefits somehow? Thanks...
Old 2009-07-15, 07:37 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxiouslyWaiting View Post
Little confused, I guess I thought the internet was going to be faster then the normal Extreme Speed offered by Rogers. Is that correct? Or will have some other better benefits somehow? Thanks...
It is being called "Rogers Extreme Plus", but I don't have details about what the 'Plus' adds yet. All I know is that all rogers services to the home (home phone, HD TV, internet) are free for a year. I'll be trying to find out soon enough what the differences are, but currently it's not listed on their website, probably because it's not available to anyone without fiber to the home.
Old 2009-07-15, 09:01 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingsgonegreen View Post
It is being called "Rogers Extreme Plus", but I don't have details about what the 'Plus' adds yet. All I know is that all rogers services to the home (home phone, HD TV, internet) are free for a year. I'll be trying to find out soon enough what the differences are, but currently it's not listed on their website, probably because it's not available to anyone without fiber to the home.
If you look at the Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Wikipedia site it says the the Rogers Extreme Plus is 18.0 Mbit/s download / 1.0 Mbit/s upload and 95 GB monthly bandwidth limit.

I am looking forward to see what the speeds are like with the fibre in SohoWest...let's hope that Rogers does not cap anything.
Old 2009-07-15, 09:38 AM
Regular User

Oh cool, thanks for sharing! I guess Rogers doesn't want it on their website because it's not widely available and people would call asking for it all the time...

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...