Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2015-01-23, 08:28 PM
Regular User

I have a similar issue, where I occasionally hear my neighbour's tv, with sound and voices heard very clearly, and a lot of bass in my living room. However when I go outside between the houses at the same time I don't hear anything.
Old 2015-01-23, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Just to be clear, these are fully detached homes and not linked foundations? Linked homes look like detached, but have a foundation joined with their neighbour and are generally built to save money.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2015-01-24, 09:43 PM
Regular User

In my case, it's a fully detached house, and there's nothing in the property survey stating otherwise that I can see.
Old 2015-01-27, 01:01 PM
Regular User

Yes, fully detached, single family home.
Old 2017-10-31, 11:18 AM
Regular User

I realize this is an old thread but I did some searching online and these posts came up. I've been living in my first detached home (new construction) for about 3 months now. At night, when things are quiet, I hear footsteps from my neighbour's on what seems to be hardwood stairs or floors, just like I used to hear in my townhome. How is this possible? I realize homes are built very close together... Could the sound be travelling up the foundation? I know that my builder used one big peice of continuous styrofoam under all of the footings for my home and several of my neighbours. Could this be the cause?
Old 2017-10-31, 12:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatFlemming View Post
I realize this is an old thread but I did some searching online and these posts came up. I've been living in my first detached home (new construction) for about 3 months now. At night, when things are quiet, I hear footsteps from my neighbour's on what seems to be hardwood stairs or floors, just like I used to hear in my townhome. How is this possible? I realize homes are built very close together... Could the sound be travelling up the foundation? I know that my builder used one big peice of continuous styrofoam under all of the footings for my home and several of my neighbours. Could this be the cause?
Thanks for the post Pat, I'll interested in knowing this too. Now that you mentioned Styrofoam, it got me thinking. Yesterday morning I found lots of white pieces (Styrofoam looking) on my driveway & by afternoon I saw a big long piece of Styrofoam on the driveway. I thought may be it flew in the wind from someplace else but now I'm wondering what it could be.........
Thanks