Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2017-06-13, 12:40 PM
Regular User

Question Tieing basement bathroom into existing HRV

Can I tap into existing duct work and tie new basement bathroom into current HRV (like the other 4 bathrooms in the home)? Inspector wanted the powder room to be vented and was ok with it being hooked up to HRV and I just wanted to know that if I follow a trunk line coming off the HRV, if I could tap into that?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 2017-06-14, 06:24 AM
Regular User

My advice would be to install an independent fan exhaust. Using HRV's for glorified bathroom exhausts is a horrible idea.
Old 2017-06-14, 07:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
My advice would be to install an independent fan exhaust. Using HRV's for glorified bathroom exhausts is a horrible idea.
Why is that?
Old 2017-06-14, 12:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
Why is that?
my question too. I know if I ever custom built a house I'd want an hrv with exhaust intakes in all of the washrooms and the kitchen.
Old 2017-06-14, 06:56 PM
Regular User

I have a property with a large hrv connected to 3 baths, kitchen and mf laundry.

It takes much longer to dry out a bathroom after a shower than a 100 cfm dedicated fan.

I think the difference is that the hrv sucks air from all intakes when it's 'on' so it's less effective in that single room.

I've actually bought the fans to install in the bathrooms. Just working up the motivation to go into the attic and wade through 20 inch deep insulation.

For venting your 2 piece I think it would be fine to add it in.
Old 2017-06-14, 07:47 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the perspectives, folks.
Old 2017-06-14, 08:16 PM
Regular User

Here is a sample of my junction points
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1519.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	14016  
Old 2017-06-15, 08:15 AM
Regular User

For sure it will take longer to dry things out. I have 3 bathrooms, a kitchen and a laundry room all connected to my ERV. And it is balanced at just under 200cfm on high so the best I get is about 40cfm in each bathroom. But I have my ERV on all the time so it dries things out slower but it does dry them out. I don't see that as a real reason to say having a fully ducted HRV is a horrible idea.

One benefit that I have by having a fully ducted system is that when my kids take a shower they are always forgetting to turn the fan on after (I do think I finally have them turning the light off though). Having the system running on low all the time will eventually dry it out. Without it I would either have to send my kids for training or end up with possible mold.
Old 2017-06-15, 01:08 PM
Regular User

it would be nice if you could have a damper on each hrv input, and every time the bathroom light was turned on, the hrv would pull only from that bathroom until 30 minutes after the light was turned off.
Old 2017-06-15, 05:33 PM
Regular User

Regarding the kids, what I've started using is fan switch that have a humidity sensor in them. They start and stop themselves.

The hrv controls we have provide 20 40 60 minute run times. I don't know if they can be automatic. You would think so....

Now I didn't say they were horrible, I don't think. It's just that it doesn't work well enough for our needs - multiple showers in each bathroom.

Does your kitchen have a range hood vent? Ours didn't initially but I put one in.

Also I've closed the laundry intake. There isn't enough moisture in there to worry about.

Hmmm I wonder if I should block the kitchen vent. That'll improve the suction in the bathrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
For sure it will take longer to dry things out. I have 3 bathrooms, a kitchen and a laundry room all connected to my ERV. And it is balanced at just under 200cfm on high so the best I get is about 40cfm in each bathroom. But I have my ERV on all the time so it dries things out slower but it does dry them out. I don't see that as a real reason to say having a fully ducted HRV is a horrible idea.

One benefit that I have by having a fully ducted system is that when my kids take a shower they are always forgetting to turn the fan on after (I do think I finally have them turning the light off though). Having the system running on low all the time will eventually dry it out. Without it I would either have to send my kids for training or end up with possible mold.