Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2017-06-28, 09:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottn View Post
2x6 has been standard for over 20 years, maybe close to 30 (think it was late 80s or early 90s they switched to allow more insulation.) Guaranteed they are 2x6 in a 2008 build.
I wouldn't say 2x6 construction is guaranteed. My first home built in 2000 was 2x4 and the builder (Greenpark) installed XPS on the exterior to achieve the desired R-Value.
Old 2017-07-24, 01:40 PM
Regular User

Hi all, anyone know where i can get a small piece of vapor barrier? I went to home depot and lowes and you can only buy a huge roll. once I cut out the vapor barrier, I need a slightly bigger piece cover the hole and use tuck tape to tape it in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
How To Do Inwall Speakers On an Outside Wall:

I'm assuming that the wires are already in place.

If this is your first time, familiarize yourself with how the dogears work on the speaker to hold it in place. You can start tightening them with a drill-driver, but use a very very lose torque setting as you do not want to strip the plastic holding the screws.

1) Locate the studs on either side of the wire.

2) Using your speaker template, draw out your rectangle between the studs, try and place the template as evenly as possible between the studs so that you leave a lip of drywall on each side.

3) Cut out the drywall following the lines you drew. You are going to cut the vapour barrier, don't think you are not.

4) Use a measuring tape to measure to the top of the hole. Use this for the second speaker location so you can keep them the same height.

5) Remove the drywall to expose the insulation. Pull out a section of the insulation roughly the same size as the hole. You'll notice the insulation is in layers and you will be able to pull out about 1/3rd - 2rds of it leaving some in the back.

6) Try and fit your speaker. Make sure the dogears on the speakers are retracted otherwise it's not going to fit at all. If the hole is not large enough then trim it with your drywall saw until satisfactory.

7) Repair the vapour. What we have done in the past is just take a piece of poly and push it into the cavity and trim it the size of the hole but enough so that it has depth to fit towards the back. Then you can pull the edges of the existing vapour in from behind the drywall and tape it to the new piece using TuckTape.

8) Connect and install the speaker. Make it plumb using a torpedo level.

When doing the second speaker use the measurement from #4.
Old 2017-07-25, 09:53 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
Hi all, anyone know where i can get a small piece of vapor barrier? I went to home depot and lowes and you can only buy a huge roll. once I cut out the vapor barrier, I need a slightly bigger piece cover the hole and use tuck tape to tape it in place.
You can get 6mm contractor garbage bags (same thickness as vapour barrier) for $15-$20 and cut a small piece from one of those - plus then you have some large garbage bags for future as well
Old 2017-07-25, 11:51 AM
Regular User

so vapor barrier is not some special plastic, its just any plastic that's 6mm? Can you buy these garbage bags from home depot or lowes?
Old 2017-07-25, 12:44 PM
Regular User

ok i found some on home depot and lowes website and they are only 3mm