Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2017-10-24, 02:01 PM

Default Central Vacuum wiring problems

Greetings,

I live in a new build house in Oakville and recently purchased a central vac unit. I am relatively handy and know my limits but this job seemed relatively straight forward but has been dragging on.

I have installed the unit on the wall in the garage just fine with 12" of space all around it. I have installed inlet face plates (2 on 2nd floor, 2 on 1st floor, 1 in basement) and connected the wiring to each of the screws (red and black only as the builder installed 2 kick plate sweeps and both are wired with red/black only) I have also secured all the piping required, dry-fitting them first and then cementing everything together. I have also confirmed that the central vac unit actually works However, I have hit a wall at the wiring of the low-voltage wires as I cannot get it so that all inlets work as only 1-2 work depending on how I change the wiring. It seems like there is a break somewhere in the electrical current and it is not getting to everything

Below is an image of what the unit looks like in my garage. The complexity starts with the fact that there are three (3) pipes with wires roughed into my garage (ceiling, upper interior wall, lower interior wall). To make matters more complex the roughed-in inlet in the basement has four (4) wires wrapped up with it (each with red, green, black, yellow), two of which's exterior white wrapping looks a little different (not as white and different text on the side)

I purchased extra low voltage wire from a local vacuum store that has only sliver and copper as extensions where I needed them (I have denoted them in the image below where I used this cabling in the garage)

I have tried different combinations but nothing I do works. The inlet in the garage always works regardless of the changes. For the interior, at best I have had one inlet work and one kick-plate in the master...nothing else

Any suggestions or guidance would be welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ugh.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	14245  
Old 2017-10-24, 06:27 PM
Administrator

At each inlet you need to connect all the wires exactly the same on each terminal.
If you don't then you will end up sort of with what you mentioned where some inlets work and others do not.

Here's a quick little YouTube video I made for you:

https://youtu.be/sq6wO2wzom4
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2017-10-24, 07:03 PM

You're awesome...thanks so much; b/c the wires were all covered by the white casing I thought the wires themselves would conduct as is! I will give it try tomorrow and report back.

BTW: I haven't had a full look at the site but did you ever end up adding a "Donate" option? I read about it in a few other posts and think it's a great idea.
Let me know as forums like this are a great resource!

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
At each inlet you need to connect all the wires exactly the same on each terminal.
If you don't then you will end up sort of with what you mentioned where some inlets work and others do not.

Here's a quick little YouTube video I made for you:

https://youtu.be/sq6wO2wzom4
Old 2017-10-24, 10:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey24 View Post
b/c the wires were all covered by the white casing I thought the wires themselves would conduct as is!
.....Huy??
Old 2017-10-24, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
.....Huy??
The low voltage wires the builder used in the walls had a white coloured “wrapper” around the 4 wires (red, green, black, yellow). When i looked at one of the two kick plates they installed for the central vac it looked like the red and black wires were still wrapped. When i looked again, the installer stripped the wire but did not totally remove the red and black and just exposed the copper wire to make contact with the screw

All stripped/connected now but wife and daughter are sleeping so i will test it out tomorrow and report back

Cheers,
Old 2017-10-25, 08:35 AM

Tested all inlets this morning and they all work as expected...can't believe I didn't think of stripping the smaller wires; thank you for taking the time to open my eyes (and making me a Youtube video)!

Cheers,
Old 2017-10-25, 10:48 AM
Regular User

Great news.

Something for another time .... I like to strip and twist the wire pairs together - red/green and black/yellow is a common pattern. If there is a problem with a single strand, the combination of 2 wires works.
Old 2017-10-25, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the advice; I will keep that in mind. Reading on this forum that everything should be wired the same way I stuck with the red/black only as that was how the two vac kick plates the builder installed were wired

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Great news.

Something for another time .... I like to strip and twist the wire pairs together - red/green and black/yellow is a common pattern. If there is a problem with a single strand, the combination of 2 wires works.
Old 2017-10-25, 11:03 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey24 View Post
You're awesome...thanks so much; b/c the wires were all covered by the white casing I thought the wires themselves would conduct as is! I will give it try tomorrow and report back.

BTW: I haven't had a full look at the site but did you ever end up adding a "Donate" option? I read about it in a few other posts and think it's a great idea.
Let me know as forums like this are a great resource!

Cheers,
I agree he deserves donations for his efforts on this site. Until there's a donation option, I like to make sure I click on a few ads each time I visit. It's not much, but it helps. I've also subscribed to his youtube channel.

Greg puts this same level of effort into his business dealings as well. I've had Greg do a number of different wiring jobs in my house, and he's always been prompt, professional, and friendly. I heartily recommend him and his company PHAND.
Old 2017-10-25, 11:38 AM

Thanks oakvillehomeowner for the suggestion; I will be sure to click on some ads throughout my time as it is a great resources indeed. I am just off Trafalgar and will keep PHAND in mind for any future projects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
I agree he deserves donations for his efforts on this site. Until there's a donation option, I like to make sure I click on a few ads each time I visit. It's not much, but it helps. I've also subscribed to his youtube channel.

Greg puts this same level of effort into his business dealings as well. I've had Greg do a number of different wiring jobs in my house, and he's always been prompt, professional, and friendly. I heartily recommend him and his company PHAND.