Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-10-07, 03:42 PM
Regular User

I stopped by the Minto office after lunch to see what's going on and sales was indeed very brisk. They only have 2 36' single lots left at the time and the lot premium was close to $70K because both lots back onto a pond.

I ran into a colleague whose wife lined up since Wed. They managed to secure a lot but also had to pay a lot premium, in addition to the price increase compared to Phase 1. They needed to get a bigger home so they were just happy to get something, they have been living in Barrhaven for the last 15 years so they want to continue staying here.

I believe the next phase won't be released until next year so it will be interesting to see if there will be another price hike.
Old 2017-10-08, 01:12 AM
Regular User

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/patience-pa...ners-1.3623752
Old 2017-10-08, 11:13 AM

Mattamy phase 7 is just behind Harmony next to Mattamy sales center. Why is no one interested in that area ?
Price is reasonable, even their special offers take months to sell. Any idea why ?
Old 2017-10-08, 04:32 PM
Regular User

Are you referring to the Half Moon Bay community? That's south of the Jock River which makes a huge difference. We actually went to check out houses there but instantly crossed it off our list because the location is inconvenient IMO.

Minto's Harmony is right on Strandherd in the middle of Barrhaven and close to everything. Mattamy's Half Moon Bay is across the river which means to get to the main area of Barrhaven you have to go through the narrow part of Greenbank Road with 2 very sharp turns. I can definitely see that becoming a major bottleneck for traffic during busy times. They have been talking about expanding Greenbank Road but it keeps being delayed (I think it was originally supposed to happen right around now, but after being pushed back several times it's looking like it'll be another decade or so). They also keep talking about adding another exit to Hwy 416 south of Strandherd but who knows when (or if) that will happen. Perhaps in 10 years the roads will improve and the area will be more accessible but for now I feel like it will only get worse in the next few years as lots more houses are built (the number of people will see a huge increase but roads will take a lot longer to be built/expanded, leading to bad traffic issues). I would consider buying in HMB if I were retired, but right now a big priority for me is having a decent commute to and from work during rush hour.

I also think houses in Minto Harmony will see greater price appreciation than HMB in the next few years (but that's completely my personal conjecture). There is still a lot of land around HMB and many more houses can be built in South Barrhaven (even stretching down to Manotick). However, land is running out north of the Jock River--most of the remaining empty land is earmarked for commercial/industrial use, not much residential area left.

Personally I would not line up for days to get a house in the Harmony development (or pay these crazy inflated prices), but I can totally see why it's so high in demand right now.

Last edited by jk9088; 2017-10-08 at 04:34 PM.
Old 2017-10-08, 04:44 PM

Yes, I was referring to HMB by Mattamy phase 7, new houses being build right beside the sales center. Hope they start working soon on the Greenbank road.
You are right, the road is too narrow and the bridge across the Jock River could fall anytime.
Old 2017-10-08, 05:50 PM
Regular User

Just for you guys information, there are a number of other ways to get into HMB, outside of the previously mentioned Greenbank bridge with the sharp turn, as I live right around the area.

- 416 then Strandherd then Borrisokane and Cambrian

- Prince of Wales then Jockvale then Cambrian

- Woodroffe then Jockvale and then again Cambrian

- 416 then Bankfield then Greenbank

I do agree Minto Harmony location is better than Mattamy HMB in terms of visibility and proximity to amenities but the noise and traffic from Strandherd may drive some folks to look at HMB and surrounding communities (Meadows by Tamarack and Quinn's Pointe by Minto). It's just a very short drive from those locations to Costco and other amenities on Strandherd anyway.
Old 2017-10-09, 12:11 AM
Regular User

Yeah I know there are other roads but I was more referring to just getting to the main area of Barrhaven. (Also I wouldn't really count "416>Bankfield>Greenbank" since that is the opposite direction to the others--i.e. you wouldn't take that route to go into the main areas of Barrhaven or Ottawa.) Really there are only 3 roads out of HMB if you are going towards Ottawa: west on Cambrian>Borrisokane, north via Greenbank, or east via Cambrian>Longfields/Jockvale. Compared to the "main" part of Barrhaven, you are a lot more limited in options when it comes to getting out and the area is much more susceptible to traffic bottlenecks.

I think Harmony is far enough back from Strandherd that noise/traffic shouldn't be much of a disturbance (based on the site map, the current releases are separated from Strandherd by existing houses). But yes, for people who want peace and quiet HMB is a great option. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure HMB is a lovely place to live too. It's just that personally, I like to live in a more accessible location close to most amenities, and I also place high value on minimizing my commute time to work (I mean, work is already something I dislike so I definitely don't want to waste more time in traffic getting to and from there!). I'm sure a lot of people also share this sentiment, which is why houses in more central areas are usually more in demand and expensive (hence Harmony prices and demand > HMB).
Old 2017-10-09, 09:00 AM
Regular User

Points well-taken, jk! although I would not necessarily call Harmony a central area, it may be central to Barrhaven but like my friends always joke to me (and I know the joke is getting old), it's still in Farrhaven

Like I said a couple of pages back, I am looking forward to the completion of this project in a couple of years...perhaps Minto and Mattamy will find ways to connect the 2 communities, I am a visual guy and I am not too good with direction but my understanding is Mattamy is/will be building houses directly behind Minto Harmony...I think we will probably see some commercial plazas in the area as well to serve the residents, in addition to what's out there and coming up on Strandherd.

All good.
Old 2017-10-09, 09:38 AM
Regular User

I lived in the HMB area until two weeks ago. It is a nice area in Barrhaven with big park and pond; Mattamy did a great job with the landscaping work. There are many roads out of HMB, and they are not bad at all. The issue is the increasingly congested Strandherd. And if you live in Barrhaven, there is no way to get away from that.

In the last 8 years, it has been getting worse and worse. We now have Costco at one end, and traffic from River Side South on the other end; added to that in the increase # of new homes. In the long terms, living in HMB might actually be better; closer access to the future highway ramp on Barndsdale. And I personally would want to stay far away from commercial centers. The 3-km distance from HMB to Barrhaven center IMO is just right.

The other thing to be careful with the area around Jock river is the risk of flooding. The Harmony area might be far enough not to worry (I haven't seen the map). I used to drive on Borrisokane(the old Cedarview) pretty every day for 8 years, and this year was just worse in term of flooding. The farm fields around the Jock river were flooded twice in 2 months.
Old 2017-10-09, 04:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
although I would not necessarily call Harmony a central area, it may be central to Barrhaven but like my friends always joke to me (and I know the joke is getting old), it's still in Farrhaven
Lol, agreed, I was definitely only referring to Minto Harmony as being central in Barrhaven (not central in Ottawa by any means!).

haivi: Strandherd congestion is definitely an issue but at least it appears that this is a priority for the city, with plans to widen it and build railway crossings in the somewhat near future. I do agree that HMB is well-placed in the future once they expand Greenbank, and especially if they build another 416 ramp in that area. Problem is, neither of these seem to be a priority for the city as plans keep getting changed/delayed. Sounds like it may be at least a decade for either of these to happen.

Good thing about Barrhaven though is there are still several options available for people who want new builds. Peace and quiet in HMB, close to amenities in Harmony, or close to the 416 for easy commuting (in the areas towards the west). For example, while I personally think Harmony is in a great location and can appreciate the quiet natural surroundings in HMB, neither of these were actually my top choice. (I ended up buying near Strandherd/Fallowfield right by the 416 ramp--allowing me to bypass most Strandherd traffic--because I value my commute time more highly. Other people may feel this area is too far from Barrhaven Town Centre/bus stations, or too close to the new busy commercial areas, but that's why it's great to have several communities to choose from!)