Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2014-10-17, 07:27 AM
Regular User

Default Noisy plumbing

See the video below (terrible and vertical, I'm sorry). The camera didn't fully capture how loud it actually is, but hopefully you get an idea.

This was on our "one year" list to the builder. They've conveniently left it off the repairs. My window with Tarion closes at the end of the month. Do I have any chance with them, or will this simply not align with any construction performance guideline?

http://youtu.be/k9E-7raf7Hc

It appears to be caused by a straight 90-degree turn in the drain pipe (no nice sweep) where it passes over an I-Beam in the basement, right below floor level in this picture. The drain wants straight down from the 2nd level through that wall where the thermostat is, and any time you shower or flush one of the two toilets upstairs on that side of the house, the water gushes down like that. It's not an issue as much with the toilet as it's brief, but the sound still booms throughout the downstairs. During a shower, it's really really loud.

I could try to make the repair myself - it's an awkward location where they put a straight 90. Probably why the builder doesn't want to even look at it.

Advice?
Old 2014-10-18, 09:20 AM
Regular User

Can't add anything to your problem but we have a similar problem and it's going on the one year. Hope someone replies with an answer

Old 2014-10-18, 10:35 AM
Regular User

If you have room, replacing whats there with two 45 degree elbows should quiet things down. In addition, you could wrap the pipe and elbows with roxul safe and sound.

Wrapping the pipe in the wall would help if you want to pull the drywall. How big is the hole in the wall behind those hvac controls? Perhaps plug that also.

One other thought is to drill some small holes, and shoot a few cans of spay foam in there.
Old 2014-10-28, 11:20 AM
Regular User

Yeah it's a real challenge to get at it. I had hoped to cut from the closet side, but they backed it with OSB since they also ran plumbing and ducts up through the wall. So I basically have to cut from the living room side (the wall with the thermostat).

I've had the same ideas of cutting and wrapping with insulation, especially at the base plate, or else spray foam. The 45 elbows MIGHT fit, but it's really tight down there. I'm going to give it a shot I think.
Old 2014-10-28, 11:20 AM
Regular User

g2k, in your opinion is there even any point in taking this to Tarion or am I just going to lose my deposit?
Old 2014-10-28, 06:18 PM
Regular User

Noise from water flowing through pipes is considered normal and is specifically excluded. So you don't want to do a conciliation for this.

fyi I've asked Phil a question about main stack code requirements. I haven't found a reference yet but this double 90 degree elbow set up may be a code violation.

Last edited by good2know; 2014-10-28 at 08:42 PM.
Old 2014-10-31, 11:31 AM
Regular User

OK this may be what you need:

From OBC :7.2.4.3. 90° Elbows

(1) Except as permitted in Sentences (2) and (3), 90° elbows of 4 in. size or less that have a centre-line radius that is less than the size of the pipe shall not be used to join two soil or waste pipes.

(2) 90° elbows of 4 in. size or less in sanitary drainage systems may be used,

(a) to change the direction of piping from horizontal to vertical, in the direction of flow,

(b) where a trap arm enters a wall, or

(c) to connect trap arms as permitted by Sentence 7.5.6.3.(2).

They have used a small 90 to go from vertical to horizontal which is not an approved use. Or said another way, horizontal to vertical NOT in the direction of flow.

Suggest you share this with the builder and request a conciliation with Tarion to see if the builder wants to risk the fine. You can always cancel before the site visit and get a refund.

Last edited by good2know; 2014-10-31 at 11:59 AM.
Old 2014-11-02, 05:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
OK this may be what you need:

From OBC :7.2.4.3. 90° Elbows

(1) Except as permitted in Sentences (2) and (3), 90° elbows of 4 in. size or less that have a centre-line radius that is less than the size of the pipe shall not be used to join two soil or waste pipes.

(2) 90° elbows of 4 in. size or less in sanitary drainage systems may be used,

(a) to change the direction of piping from horizontal to vertical, in the direction of flow,

(b) where a trap arm enters a wall, or

(c) to connect trap arms as permitted by Sentence 7.5.6.3.(2).

They have used a small 90 to go from vertical to horizontal which is not an approved use. Or said another way, horizontal to vertical NOT in the direction of flow.

Suggest you share this with the builder and request a conciliation with Tarion to see if the builder wants to risk the fine. You can always cancel before the site visit and get a refund.
Hehe that's funny, I had found the exact same references and had a back-and-forth with Tamarack. In the end they said they're pretty sure it was still compliant but they agreed to a compromise where they'll reimburse me for the cost of having it fixed. Good enough for me. Thanks for the follow-up G2K.
Old 2014-11-02, 07:11 PM
Regular User

You are welcome. Glad to hear they are looking after this.