Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-06-04, 12:38 PM
Regular User

Default Interlock companies

I am about to get driveway interlock and expand the porch. So got some quotes from 3 companies based on the forum feedback. Just want to share information with you guys

I had my own design before any of them came.

1) first day came classic interlock, the guy looked at my design, agreed it's nice design and gave a few advices, took the measurement and said they will exavacate the driveway to 18". Nice talk and the guys sounds knowledgable.
2) second came Jam rock. Two young boys came, took the measurement, said they will not exavacate the existing driveway saying normally the builder does good job in exavacation. For new area they dig 12"
3) third came Prebbel, a certified landscape designer came. Checked my design and pointed out a very bad aspect of the design which led me completely scrap my own design. The guy is very knowledgeable, helped me make a new design, gave lot of advices, spent one hour with me for the design. Asked me to send more pictures and he will try to incorporate the idea into my design. They will exavacate driveway to 18"

Still waiting for their quotes. I will choose between classic interlock and Prebbel, and unless Prebbel charges significant more than classic interlock, I will stick with Prebbel.

anyone has more interlock company recommenadation?
Old 2010-06-04, 01:18 PM
Regular User

Well if the guy from classic told you it's a nice design but you agreed to redo your design with prebbel due to a "very bad aspect", why not go with prebbel?
Old 2010-06-04, 02:46 PM
Regular User

I've had a few companies come out as well and Prebbel far and away does a much better job with the design. They take pictures so they have the layout of your lot and then send you a great drawing with lots of details. None of the other companies came close in terms of design presentation. Sorry I don't recall the other companies, and maybe that says enough.

Prebbel is a little pricey but they seem to know what they are doing and their 5 year warranty tops anything out there that I've seen.
Old 2010-06-04, 09:38 PM
Regular User

The Jam Rock guys don't know my builder or for that matter the average builder. The builders lay down just enough stone to cover the dirt and that's usually about it so it would definitely need to be excavated.
Old 2010-06-05, 10:33 AM
Regular User

Just had my front and backyard done with Prebbel, along with some of the driveway. I am very impressed with their work, they take their time and as someone mentioned, they provide an excellent diagram and many suggestions. They spent a couple of hours measuring and taking pictures prior to starting and we are very happy with the result. I had 3 estimates, they were the middle as far as cost was concerned.
Old 2010-06-06, 10:10 AM

The guys from Jamrock know what they are talking about, they have done my back patio, front walkway, front porch, and around the driveway. I'm very satisfied with their work and would recommend them.
Old 2010-06-06, 12:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filly View Post
The guys from Jamrock know what they are talking about, they have done my back patio, front walkway, front porch, and around the driveway. I'm very satisfied with their work and would recommend them.
If Jamrock told the OP that the driveway didn't need to be excavated then they either don't know what they are talking about or they are looking to cut costs. Either way it's wrong!!

The driveways the builders do suck. They sink because they aren't compacted enough. If you're going to spend that kind of money you want the job done right and that means excavating and building a proper base.

The job will look fine for the first few years but then the sinking and shifting will start. Especially if you're going to be parking a car on it.