Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-06-06, 09:32 AM
Regular User

Default Schools in brand new communities

I am considering purchasing a house in Cardinal Creek Village (Tamarack) but as my name implies, I am a mom and I have two young kids who will be starting JK next year. The one thing holding me back purchasing a house in a brand-new community is the school situation. I don't mind that they will go to a school that is a bit further. I am concerned that the school board might keep re-drawing the boundary map, and that my kids will end up switching schools more than once before they reach high school. Does anyone have any experience living in a community that does not have an elementary school yet, and how often do these kids end up switching schools?
Old 2014-06-06, 12:28 PM
Regular User

we moved into Findlay Creek 8 years ago. We still don't have a school. My advice is don't listen to anything anyone says, it all sounds nice but until you see shovels in the ground, it's all just talk. Our kids get bused to St. Thomas More and that hasn't changed yet.
Old 2014-06-06, 02:02 PM
Regular User

As mentioned above, schools are not likely to affect your kids until it's time for them to go to grade 7 anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most schools that are "planned" for new developments, often don't get built until a long time passed their planned dates.

Old 2014-06-06, 03:08 PM
Regular User

We are going through this now. When we bought the new house the soning was for the same school my oldest goes to and now it has changed, so next year she has to change schools in order to get a bus. Now they are saying they are putting a new school in HMB by 2015 which would mean she would have to change again...kinda frustrating, but at least most of the children in the neighbourhood will be moving with her so it shouldn't be as big of an impact as next year.

Mattamy HMB Phase 2
Willowbrook elevation B
Closing date May 29, 2014
Old 2014-06-06, 04:31 PM
Regular User

I don't mind so much that the community will not have a school until 7-10 years after the house is built. That is understandable.

However, my concern is that they will keep re-drawing the boundary lines and the kids will transfer multiple times. Is that a common occurrence?

If you do not rely on school busses, do they still have to change schools if the boundary map is redrawn?