Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-04-22, 12:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Wow, really? That is ridiculous!
darryl, i only have the floor plans to go by but I think the prices for these towns are comparable with another quality builder, namely Tartan in their nearby Havencourt development. They are selling their Marble model 2,037 sq.ft town for at least $335,900 (from their website)

Monarch is offering $10K off purchase price (for a limited time) + other incentives so there could be some savings but I wonder what makes this area so attractive to the builders?. As discussed earlier, there are no less than 5 builders building here: Campanale, Cardel, Tartan, Richcraft and now Monarch. Larco and Mattno are also in the mix as well.
Old 2013-04-22, 01:22 PM
Regular User

Those prices are way too high! The sq footage also includes the finished part of the basement!
Old 2013-04-22, 02:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBOR View Post
Those prices are way too high! The sq footage also includes the finished part of the basement!
Most townhome/semi square footages include the basement, no?

The prices really aren't that outrageous. If people are willing to pay it, then it's at market value, no?

Some of these semis are really decked out as well. Larco's comes with hardwood floors, granite counters, double sinks in the ensuite, and an oversized garage with their base price, whereas Monarch comes up 9 foot ceilings, tiled shower in ensuite and a double garage.

Old 2013-04-22, 03:50 PM
Regular User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
Where are the garages? Are they not attached?

Edit: The innovative garage design places the carport off the rear laneway, reducing the visual prominence of the garage on the front of the home. Working in partnership with the City, the urban-infused design creates an attractive streetscape and results in beautiful front exteriors with more windows and natural light.

Looks as thought, the majority of the backyard is the garage.
here is the garage picture from their website
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c4f4078a-889f-44a4-8b82-b4bbdbf1be4e_newCommLG.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	10679  
Old 2013-04-22, 04:44 PM
Regular User

I lived in AB for a while where the rear lanes are quite common. The challenge with rear lanes is that often times they are not paved and are quite narrow. Garages are often times placed really close to the lanes so you have to make sharp turns in and out of your garage. A lot of houses with rear lane garages don't actually have driveways. Rear lanes are most often the last streets to ever have snow cleared and, in the summer, the narrow lanes and garbage makes them quite unattractive for walking. Rear lanes also tend to be unattractive.

Some people love detached garages, while some people hate having to deal with inclement weather to get to their garage. Having to go outside all the time to get to your car or to deal with garbage in the winter can quickly lose its appeal.
Old 2013-04-22, 06:47 PM
Regular User

Do they have a model home? From the picture, seems like there's no driveway in the front?
Old 2013-04-22, 06:53 PM
Regular User

It's interesting that on one end the city promotes intensification, on the other end Monarchs build these houses with extra road.
Old 2013-04-22, 07:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Wow, really? That is ridiculous!
Disagree. The average town in Barrhaven is already above 300K, so to get one with a 2 car garage, something usually reserved for singles, for 335K really isn't that bad, at 400K, there is a lot more competition and is probably a tougher sell. If there is a condo fee, and there likely will be, that takes some of the appeal away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testinz View Post
It's interesting that on one end the city promotes intensification, on the other end Monarchs build these houses with extra road.
They are still towns which have a much higher density than singles or semis and my guess is the rear lane will be a private road which means: a) condo fee and b) the city doesn't have to worry about snow removal. The location is pretty good too if you can live with airplanes.
Old 2013-04-23, 11:40 PM
Regular User

What I meant by ridiculous is that I cannot believe this is what semi's and townhomes now cost! I understand that is the market value but I am just flabbergasted at the prices!!
Old 2013-04-25, 05:24 PM
Regular User

Some more info about the community (plus additional info about Blackstone) in the Citizen today

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/homes/m...648/story.html